Betting Talk

Bret Bielema to Ark

buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
edited December 2012 in Sports Betting
http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=8709694

Interesting, I'm not sure Ark is a better job than Wisconsin.

Comments

• Wurzz03Wurzz03 Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    if this is true, then good. ark can have him. So many badger fans have wanted him out for a while now. Once Paul Chryst left and took a lot of the coaches it looked like wisconsin needed an overhaul. The worst part is everyone wanted Chryst as head coach... but too late now i guess.
    edited December 2012
    Interesting, I'm not sure Ark is a better job than Wisconsin.[/QUOTE]

probably not a better job, but took it while he could. got out before he could get fired.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    I was shocked by this news--especially in light of some of the jobs Bielema has purportedly passed on previously
  • TazmanTazman Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    Confirmed by the local media....quite shocked, that was kept under wraps pretty well. Now we'll have to see if 6 coaches leaving last year was just because success leads to other people hiring you or something more sinister.

Bucky will survive...hope Bret has better luck with his cycle than Bobby
    edited December 2012
    Wurzz03 wrote: »
    Interesting, I'm not sure Ark is a better job than Wisconsin.

probably not a better job, but took it while he could. got out before he could get fired.[/QUOTE]

Ludicrous statement, about Bielema getting fired (unless it was for "off-field" actions). Barry Alvarez's, hand picked replacement, Bielema got along well with Barry, and as AD the coaching decisions are Barry's. I will be surprised if he doesn't position it in the media, that he has the chance to take a job at the pinnacle of his (college football) profession. But I believe that eventually we will find out that, Bielema left for personal (again for off-field) reasons
    edited December 2012
    probably not a better job, but took it while he could. got out before he could get fired.[/QUOTE]

Ludicrous statement, about Bielema getting fired (unless it was for "off-field" actions). Barry Alvarez's, hand picked replacement, Bielema got along well with Barry, and as AD the coaching decisions are Barry's. I will be surprised if he doesn't position it in the media, that he has the chance to take a job at the pinnacle of his (college football) profession. But I believe that eventually we will find out that, Bielema left for personal (again for off-field) reasons

Yeah, I was not being 100% serious on that statement. More stating that I think there was more behind the scenes with this. And I think you are right about the personal (off field) reasons. I do think that once Chryst and the other coaches left, things were unraveling in ways that Bielema didnt feel comfortable. Either way, I guess imo I am happy for change and trust Barry will fill this vacancy with new hungry blood.
  • buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    And now Gus Malzahn back to auburn.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Would Wisconsin be interested in taking Chryst back, or will they shoot for a more "high profile" hire? I'm just thinking about the meltdown that the Pitt fanbase would have if they lose another coach.
  • Chisox6Chisox6 Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    TommyL wrote: »
    Would Wisconsin be interested in taking Chryst back, or will they shoot for a more "high profile" hire? I'm just thinking about the meltdown that the Pitt fanbase would have if they lose another coach.

As a Wisconsin fan and having some feel for Alvarez and the base I'd say this happens. I'll give it 75%

Also a rumor Chryst has a no buyout option to leave if Wisconsin job comes available.
    edited December 2012
    Btw I can't believe how much bb is getting killed on Wisconsin boards for his performance there. 3 straight big ten titles 1 with * granted). Probably 85% of them didn't even graduate from uw. Idiots. Makes me embarrassed to have a fan base that is so spoiled.
    edited December 2012
    TommyL wrote: »

I did some more research and now I dont think Chryst makes sense. According to reports, it will cost a lot of money to get out of his current contract with Pitt. http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/pitt-redshirt-diaries/31767-the-paul-chryst-era-of-pitt-football-begins

Darrell Bevell should be high on the candidate list if he chooses to leave the NFL and if Barry Alvarez wants to keep the program toward the top of Big Ten (rose bowl nostalgia etc) and especially with Urban Meyer taking over OSU. We will see how this plays out. Hoping for a good hire as I dont want to see the Badgers sink back to the bottom of Big Ten.

Also, this has to mean Bielema is not coaching the Rose Bowl, right?
    edited December 2012
    I did some more research and now I dont think Chryst makes sense. According to reports, it will cost a lot of money to get out of his current contract with Pitt. http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/pitt-redshirt-diaries/31767-the-paul-chryst-era-of-pitt-football-begins

Darrell Bevell should be high on the candidate list if he chooses to leave the NFL and if Barry Alvarez wants to keep the program toward the top of Big Ten (rose bowl nostalgia etc) and especially with Urban Meyer taking over OSU. We will see how this plays out. Hoping for a good hire as I dont want to see the Badgers sink back to the bottom of Big Ten.

Also, this has to mean Bielema is not coaching the Rose Bowl, right?

I read somewhere else Chryst has a Wisconsin clause for little to no buyout (sorry link won't post on my iPad).

Bb wants to coach rose bowl but if I'm Barry I say no.

Bevell has to be right there with Chryst as well. And even though doeren just signed on, he'd have to listen if Barry called IMO.
    edited December 2012
    Chisox6 wrote: »
    Btw I can't believe how much bb is getting killed on Wisconsin boards for his performance there. 3 straight big ten titles 1 with * granted). Probably 85% of them didn't even graduate from uw. Idiots. Makes me embarrassed to have a fan base that is so spoiled.

I think a lot of credit is given to Barry and his staff (Chryst etc) more than BB. Not to mention Bielema's off field actions around Madison have put a negative aura around him. Oh, and those Rose Bowl trips came back empty handed with possibly the best Wisconsin teams I have seen. Top players on both sides of the ball, many 1st round offense and defensive linemen with stud RBs, etc etc.
    edited December 2012
    I think a lot of credit is given to Barry and his staff (Chryst etc) more than BB. Not to mention Bielema's off field actions around Madison have put a negative aura around him. Oh, and those Rose Bowl trips came back empty handed with possibly the best Wisconsin teams I have seen. Top players on both sides of the ball, many 1st round offense and defensive linemen with stud RBs, etc etc.

This is 1 thing I don't get. I hear some people who love Chryst and hate bb, but when it comes to the rose bowl (tcu game especially) they criticize offensive play calling, which is more Chryst. Not saying bb was the be all end all, but he should be appreciated for his record and the conference titles and top 10 seasons. I'm pretty sure every big ten team would rather have our last 4 years than what they had
    edited December 2012

What do you mean by off field actions? Chasing tail?
    edited December 2012
    Chisox6 wrote: »
    What do you mean by off field actions? Chasing tail?

Lol. Pretty much that, knocking up cheerleaders, and not carrying himself as other top conference respectable coaches do.

And you might be taking this the wrong way, the last couple years have been successful in terms of record and quality wins, but any coach could have done this with the talent they had. A Rose Bowl win might change some fan's views, but something about the offenses under Chryst were more electric than prior. And the TCU game, the defense couldnt do a damn thing to stop their offense.

So you are a badger fan then (confusing with Chisox)? I respect your like for BB, its not like I hate the guy, just excited for a new coach. And if you hear radio or any other fan outlet I think many fans are not mad/sad about this in any way.
    edited December 2012
    Lol. Pretty much that, knocking up cheerleaders, and not carrying himself as other top conference respectable coaches do.

And you might be taking this the wrong way, the last couple years have been successful in terms of record and quality wins, but any coach could have done this with the talent they had. A Rose Bowl win might change some fan's views, but something about the offenses under Chryst were more electric than prior. And the TCU game, the defense couldnt do a damn thing to stop their offense.

So you are a badger fan then (confusing with Chisox)? I respect your like for BB, its not like I hate the guy, just excited for a new coach. And if you hear radio or any other fan outlet I think many fans are not mad/sad about this in any way.

Yeah whitesox fan (too long a story) but grew up in Wisconsin , went to uw and back here now for a few years. I even love the bucks!

I disagree somewhat on the talent/achievement thing, except last year, where 3 losses was tough to take especially with Wilson.

It's not like I loved the guy, just think he deserves some recognition for a few really good years. The main thing people don't like is his in game time management (which I agree is awful but also an easy thing to nitpick for the average fan) and I think fans thought he looked dumb.

Any season we win the big ten is a really good season. Unfortunately I think our fans have forgotten how hard that is to do and i have a feeling they'll b regretting that they took 3 straight titles for granted.
  • buck4493buck4493 Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    wisconsin is better off without him. Arkansas makes an absolutley horrible hire as well. 3 straight rose bowls. Who cares he lost them, and this year he finished in third place in his division in the big ten. Ohio State won the division trophy. 2-4 in bowl games. I dont see what the appeal was for arkansas.
  • SunBelterSunBelter Senior Member
    edited December 2012

And you might be taking this the wrong way, the last couple years have been successful in terms of record and quality wins, but any coach could have .

Is there any kind of a link to news stories of any of his off field issues?
    edited December 2012
    buck4493 wrote: »
    wisconsin is better off without him. Arkansas makes an absolutley horrible hire as well. 3 straight rose bowls. Who cares he lost them, and this year he finished in third place in his division in the big ten. Ohio State won the division trophy. 2-4 in bowl games. I dont see what the appeal was for arkansas.

So you are of the opinion conference titles mean nothing?

I actually agree that he will struggle to win at Arkansas. Think that's a tough spot and not sure he's a great fit there.
    edited December 2012
    SunBelter wrote: »

Not really, pretty sure off the grid as his national reputation is clear. This is coming from myself and many students who lived on campus with sources. Are they rumors and exagerrated? Probably. But we have seen him personally and heard many stories of drunken episodes and hitting on students/cheerleaders etc. There is not one specific time, just lots of negative buzz around campus. But hey, there's nothing wrong with some partying and drunkeness, especially in Madison!
  • buck4493buck4493 Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    conference titles are fine, but he averaged over 3 losses per year and won 2 conference titles over a 7year span. He won the big ten title game this year but finished 3rd in his division. Do you think Nebraska was a really good football team?? OSU was the class of the conference and im a fan and i dont think they would have had less than 4 losses in the SEC

Big ten conference titles arent even close to winning an SEC title.
    edited December 2012
    conference titles are fine, but he averaged over 3 losses per year and won 2 conference titles over a 7year span. He won the big ten title game this year but finished 3rd in his division. Do you think Nebraska was a really good football team?? OSU was the class of the conference and im a fan and i dont think they would have had less than 4 losses in the SEC

Big ten conference titles arent even close to winning an SEC title.

I agree the sec is harder than big ten. By far this year. But given that he was in the big ten I think he should get credit for wining it.

This year definitely deserves an *. Although they were pretty unlucky to be 7-5 as well.
  • PotlickerPotlicker Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    A couple of rumors floating around is that Alvarez is thinking aabout getting back in coaching. Look at Snyder's success. Also, this supposedly was in the works two weeks ago, so Alvarez has had time. Chryst or the D coordinator from Notre Dame - Diaco. What did Alvarez do before he got the Wisconsin job?
    edited December 2012
    Potlicker wrote: »
    A couple of rumors floating around is that Alvarez is thinking aabout getting back in coaching. Look at Snyder's success. Also, this supposedly was in the works two weeks ago, so Alvarez has had time. Chryst or the D coordinator from Notre Dame - Diaco. What did Alvarez do before he got the Wisconsin job?

Asst at nd and Iowa. I don't think he'd do it long term (maybe for ros? bowl). I think it's Chryst or doeren, especially if buyout clauses for both that include Wisconsin exceptions are true.
  • PotlickerPotlicker Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    Exactly and Diaco went to Iowa. I agree I dont think Barry would come back, but he does have an ego. Other guys have been talking about Bielema chasing tail in this thread. Alvarez was legendary, Bielema wasnt even close.
    edited December 2012
    Potlicker wrote: »
    Exactly and Diaco went to Iowa. I agree I dont think Barry would come back, but he does have an ego. Other guys have been talking about Bielema chasing tail in this thread. Alvarez was legendary, Bielema wasnt even close.
    Bielema was a much more prolific tail chaser than Barry, of course he was also single up until this past March
    edited December 2012
    I believe going into this year, Bielema was the 4th winningest coach in college football % wise, during his tenure at Wis. Whether you like the man or not, he was a tremendous college football coach. For him to have won as many games as he did at Wis bespeaks of his coaching talent, while Wis routinely had recruiting classes in the lower half of the Big 10.
  • dumaredumare Member
    edited December 2012
    SunBelter wrote: »

In case you are still wondering heres how he might spend his off time...

http://deadspin.com/5966021/here-is-a-blurry-photo-of-bret-bielema-shirtless-and-holding-some-sort-of-pinkish-drink
  • stucrossstucross Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    hogs pay the coaches bettor then wisky and we have bettor facilities as a hog fan i am thrilled to have him own board.I am also a Michigan fan as well.