Betting Talk

Stern is upset.....

ggm1976ggm1976 Senior Member
edited November 2012 in Sports Betting
It was the spurs decision to rest players, it's their team, they do what they want. Thank goodness this clown of a commish is steping down, he has rigged the league since day 1 when Knicks "won" the lottery in 84....

Comments

• jimmymojimmymo Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    Fuck Stern (from a Seattleite)
  • BigPermBigPerm Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    Seriously. They've done this before, and its their decision to make.

Stern's going to punish them? That's BS

F HIM
  • ggm1976ggm1976 Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    Big sanctions.....spurs should be fined for every point they lost by tonite...
  • BobbyBingoBobbyBingo Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    when I first heard this that they were resting players I was shocked at this time in the season I work 5 days a week monday thru friday Thats like saying on friday I call in and say Im too tired to come in I think they would fire me I understand that the schedule gets a little tough at times but these guys are making way to much money to screw the fans who wanted to see them play Wilt Chamberlain played every minute of every game for almost two straight years never heard him complain of being tired he is rolling over in his grave this is a big boy league suck it spurs I hope stern comes down hard on them My 2 cents
  • golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    fuck stern. honestly i think its a good idea to sit those guys against the heat instead of a lesser team. odds are you are going to lose anyway so why not rest them then. i dont follow or bet the nba just my 2 cents.
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    BobbyBingo wrote: »
    I understand that the schedule gets a little tough at times but these guys are making way to much money to screw the fans who wanted to see them play

Bobby, they don't play this game for the fans. At least not the Spurs. Do they respect the fans, hell yes, but first and foremost they play this game to win the championship......That 7-game series in May or in June, THAT's what's important to them. This wasn't about the guys needing rest, even though it was their 4th-in-5 and 6th-in-9. This was about Popovich not wanting to show Spoelstra and LeBron how he was going to battle them come playoff time. It's a chess match for him early in the season. he knows his Spurs are going to make the playoffs anyway, so he uses these first couple of weeks to tinker with his line-ups. To see what works and what doesn't.
    To wit: minutes played together by the starting 5:
    OKC 230.4
    CHI 183.0
    SAS 103.6

Stern would be a hypocrite to levy any fines on them. There are no rules in play that say you can't rest your starters. It's common use for teams to rest them before the playoffs. If Popovich had known that it wasn't allowed (please show him the rule) he would not have rested them.
  • rcmoneyrcmoney Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    Stern is out of line and oh Spurs got the cash at plus 6 anyway
    edited November 2012
    While I understand both sides of the argument I just can't see resting players 17 games into the season. This is there job. Fans pay big money to see NBA Games. What if some other teams join in on resting players then what. The NBA is becoming a joke. I loved the NBA back in the 60's 70's and 80's.
  • BigItaly42BigItaly42 Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    While I understand both sides of the argument I just can't see resting players 17 games into the season. This is there job. Fans pay big money to see NBA Games. What if some other teams join in on resting players then what. The NBA is becoming a joke. I loved the NBA back in the 60's 70's and 80's.

Give me a break. Obviously you don't see both sides of the argument. Pop has been doing this for YEARS, and nobody has said a word. Stern is just trying to make an example of them, because it cost the NBA ratings. It isn't Popovich's job to please the fans watching on television. Spurs fans are content, knowing that their team is successful EVERY YEAR. Not a single Spurs fan is bothered by what he did, because it has happened dozens of times. Spurs fans know that the division game Saturday against Memphis is the game that really matters to the team, not the game against the Heat. He knows his team will be in the playoffs, and could care less what seed they are, the regular season is second fiddle to the playoffs, because that is when games REALLY matter. Popovich is hands down the best and most successful coach in the league right now, and anyone who is second guessing him is a fool.
    edited November 2012
    Regardless if I do or don't see both sides it's okay to choose games in which you want to win. I just think its wrong. it's just my opinion.
    edited November 2012
    The biggest issue I have here is that everyone is interpreting this situation as Pop conceding defeat. Clearly that isn't what happened. He played his bench and nearly beat the self appointed greatest team. He showed his bench can play with anyone, and that is the biggest statement made last night. People are taking it the wrong way. This is only a big deal because the media hates on small markets. The game was incredibly competitive, and outside of San Antonio, there are few big NBA fans who can't wait to see Parker, Ginobili, and Duncan. They get no respect even when they DO play.
    edited November 2012
    How spurs playing 4 out of 5 nights, while heat have 4 days off in a row, maybe stern should fine schedule maker
    edited November 2012
    Fans want CHAMPIONSHIPS, not regular season wins on ESPN, and the Spurs win. Any fan that feels the need to win that game, rather than looking at the big picture has his priorities mixed up IMO.
    edited November 2012
    ggm1976 wrote: »
    How spurs playing 4 out of 5 nights, while heat have 4 days off in a row, maybe stern should fine schedule maker

Things like that happen every year to almost every team. Its BS, but Pop said himself he had circled this day as a day to rest his big boys, it didn't matter the opponent.
  • NDFan221NDFan221 Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    when I first heard this that they were resting players I was shocked at this time in the season I work 5 days a week monday thru friday Thats like saying on friday I call in and say Im too tired to come in I think they would fire me I understand that the schedule gets a little tough at times but these guys are making way to much money to screw the fans who wanted to see them play Wilt Chamberlain played every minute of every game for almost two straight years never heard him complain of being tired he is rolling over in his grave this is a big boy league suck it spurs I hope stern comes down hard on them My 2 cents

Are you honestly trying to compare your profession and work schedule to that of an NBA player?
    edited November 2012
    NDFan221 wrote: »
    Are you honestly trying to compare your profession and work schedule to that of an NBA player?

Bobby...in case for some reason you can't understand this...none of those player asked for a day off. Popovich told them to stay home. You can make up your version of the story if you like, but everyone else seems to be able to grasp the concept.
    edited November 2012
    I was saying that with tongue in cheek about my work schedule its a good debate we just see things differently On a different note I saw the Who last night in Chicago perform
    Quadrophenia Those boys can still bring it!
  • MachineGunMachineGun Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    Why does everyone some to be missing this so badly. Usually something is right or wrong but in this case there are just different points of view AND THATS OK. For example:

If I am a Spurs fan: Pop is doing the right thing and I am glad he rested our players. Additionally, I am glad he did it during the end of a long road trip in a game that would have been a tough win anyways.

If I am ESPN: I am pissed, this hits my ratings when people tune out after seeing the starting lineups.

If I am an advertiser I am pissed for the same reason as ESPN, less people are seeing my ads.

If I am myself: and I am in Miami on vacation for example and shell out big money to go to the game w my girlfriend IM FURIOUS. And dont tell me it was a good game. I wanna see the stars, AND a good game.

If Im Stern: Im pissed because my advertisers and corp sponsors are pissed. I am also mad on behalf of the casual fan who came to the game for his one time a year.

So obviously this depends on where you stand in the equation here, whichever party you are, you have the right to feel how you feel because you had some money tied up in the event.
    edited November 2012
    Machine gun, would they be fined if splitter, neal, and bonner were given rest??? I thought splitter looked good last nite
  • SanManSanMan Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    If the game did not mean anything to the Spurs then why should the game mean anything to the advertisers and fans. If more teams start pulling this shit watch what happens. There is a reason nobody cares about pre-season games. I wouold like to see those Spurs fans if Miami goes to San Antonio and leaves LeBron and Wade at home. They would cry like little babies!!!!! Whether they like it or not this is all about the fans! Start losing them and the almighty dollar will be harder to come by.
  • cwsdjscwsdjs Junior Member
    edited November 2012
    :sad:
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    SanMan wrote: »
    Whether they like it or not this is all about the fans!

I disagree,
    Completely!
    Actually, this shows that the league's strategy of making fans feel involved, cultivating stars, and branding the game is paying it's fruits. They (the league and thus the owners) want only one thing... your dollars. And they're fooling you big-time. In my opinion, David Stern as a basketball connaisseur knows what Pop did was the best thing for his team. But I also would like to bet that David called Popovich on beforehand and said: "Listen Greg, I understand your decision, but you're harming our marketing efforts. fans will feel alienated. I'm gonna have some though words on you in the press, I have to give these moneyshelling fans the idea that the NBA CARES (LOLOLOLOLOLOLLL$$$$$$$$$$) but nevermind, just be cool about it. It's all about the dollars. Don' tell anybody."

I mean, I bought a courtside seat in DET. $50.000 for the whole season,...and still they don't play my man Kim English. That's my man! KIM ENGLISH!!! I'm his biggest fan!! I bought the expensive seat, c'mon coach! play him already! PLAY HIM!!! It's all about me!! the FAN!!I'm important, isn't it!?! I can decide on these things, Isn't it?!?

ps. totally agree with machinegun above
    edited November 2012
    I am sorry, but I still think it was a punk move. He plays all his starters the same week against Washington and Orlando and blows them out. He then throws in the towel against the defending champions and rests his starting lineup. That says to me they know they cannot beat Miami so why try!!
    edited November 2012
    I am sorry, but I still think it was a punk move. He plays all his starters the same week against Washington and Orlando and blows them out. He then throws in the towel against the defending champions and rests his starting lineup. That says to me they know they cannot beat Miami so why try!!

You think Popovich fears miami? You don't have a clue. He is the best coach in the NBA. You aren't. This isn't the first time and it certainly won't be the last.
    edited November 2012
    BigItaly42 wrote: »
    You think Popovich fears miami? You don't have a clue. He is the best coach in the NBA. You aren't. This isn't the first time and it certainly won't be the last.

He made it more than clear he fears Miami. If you don't think so then you don't have a clue!!!!!! I am guessing his starters will play against all the scrub teams this year, but when they play a tough team and his players had to play a scrub team the day before they will all of a sudden need some "rest" They were afraid to play the best.
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    He made it more than clear he fears Miami. If you don't think so then you don't have a clue!!!!!! I am guessing his starters will play against all the scrub teams this year, but when they play a tough team and his players had to play a scrub team the day before they will all of a sudden need some "rest" They were afraid to play the best.

the best almost lost to the backups. LOL.
    edited November 2012

So you're telling me one of the most successful coaches in NBA history, with four titles, and 13 straight 50 wins seasons is suddenly afraid of a team with three stars and a terrible bench? Last time I checked he beat lebron in the finals, so he certainly isn't afraid of him. Like I've said repeatedly, pop has done this before. Its not the opponent, its the timing. You know how mant times he has rested Duncan on a back to back? Please keep telling me how I am the one who doesn't have a clue. Pay attention. This guy has excelled against EVERY team. He has zero reason to fear a team with ONE title. Hilarious.
  • Phil147Phil147 Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    I'm willing to guarantee Popovich's decision was a "protest" to the league for making them play 4 games in 5 days, on the road. What better way to shine light on it, than on a nationally televised game in which they are competing with the NFL?
    edited November 2012
    I agree with Pop is a great coach. Resting players 17 games into the season is a bad choice. 250K fine that ain't chump change.
    edited November 2012
    250 k fine, what a disgrace, it was a lawful, strategic move stern sucks