Betting Talk

O-T question about Chicago marijuana bust

ContrarianContrarian Banned
edited October 2012 in Sports Betting
http://touch.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-72701730/

I'm no cop or lawyer but why would they go cut the plants down instead of just waiting and watching for the perps to come make their harvest? Hmmmmm

Two football fields that's a lot of weed

Comments

• RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    New generation of law enforcement techniques. Search, seize, gather evidence and arrest at a later date. With CIA type surveillance equipment, bookmakers and softcore drug dealers have NFC. Sometimes a little of what you're wondering when Benjy's are involved also.

btw, didn't read the article yet.
  • ContrarianContrarian Banned
    edited October 2012
    Thx Ron, I certainly trust your expertise on such matters as you've obviously been around the block a time or two. I just can't get my head around why it went down the way that it did with "nobody charged". It isn't as if two football fields of weed are gonna get up and walk away.

Seems like actually catching the bad guys would have been easy as pie. Obviously Joe Kingpin isn't coming to cut the plants down by himself but his underlings may be able to eventually get ya there - you're cutting and burning the stuff down eventually anyway.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    I think it's done the current way mainly for police safety and prosecution efficiency. After scouring through the evidence(wiretaps, surveillance) they can make the arrests months later at the safest opportunity. Prolly when the perps are snoozing. Drug dealers, unlike bookmakers, shoot back. Surprise element also brings in big cash seizures.

Maybe BilltheCop can add to this????
  • SquigglySquiggly Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Contrarian wrote: »
    Seems like actually catching the bad guys would have been easy as pie.

"bad guys"?
  • ContrarianContrarian Banned
    edited October 2012
    Squiggly wrote: »
    "bad guys"?

You should have gathered that my tongue was firmly in cheek