Betting Talk

I'm out of money by Friday

lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
edited September 2012 in Sports Betting
Happens every year, doesn't matter what my bankroll is...September is brutal. MLB, CFB, NFL, WNBA(this year).....and it's the only month where all MLB futures and all NFL futures are pending.

Maybe I'm not managing my money properly but I just can't seem to get it right in September.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• bumpobumpo Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Yes, without a doubt. I put my futures stuff on credit accounts. Can't stand to lay out to the post ups for 6 months. But it still happens. 3 weeks till many mlb futures are graded.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Baseball in Sept should really be Limited to a very few plays if any at all. The reason for that is your paying way to high a price for the contenders vs Non Contenders the books know who your going to play and the number is shaded big time so you think you'll out smart them and take the dog and then get killed. You don't want to play a game were two teams are out of it because it then becomes like a spring training game which IMO I don't bet. Spot Play Base base when two teams are contending. CFB and NFL I understand you play what you like regardless of how many plays but IMO 1% bets and you should never go broke. The % of your bets has to be way to high the month isn't half over. Better luck when you get back in action.
  • turksureturksure Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Try playing Fezzik future bets and try to keep available payroll to play the current week stuff. I play his 1 weight at 1% bankroll and its still hard. Clearly I didn't play all of his selection, because the correct number wasn't available to me at my spots. Going to go to 1/2 percent next year. gl guys
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    turksure wrote: »
    Try playing Fezzik future bets and try to keep available payroll to play the current week stuff. I play his 1 weight at 1% bankroll and its still hard. Clearly I didn't play all of his selection, because the correct number wasn't available to me at my spots. Going to go to 1/2 percent next year. gl guys

Much better advice, re: Fezzik. Don't play his stuff at all.
  • CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Do all of you have a set bank roll for gambling? I think thats my number 1 problem is I just bet, I dont have a set denomination really and I dont have a limited number of funds. I only use credit shops so thats probably why I bet so much. There was another thread recently about how many bets you place. I only calculated for September and I have made 148 bets so far. The net amount I have risked has been 48,416.27 which blew my mind. Luckily I have made 2,332.46 this month so my ROI is 4.82%. Like the OP I also have baseball futures, along with NFL and NCAAF but I play them all in separate credit accounts so they dont limit my available funds. Also, if I ever need more credit I just send a text and my limit is increased. But anyway, I think if I capped myself and didnt just bet endlessly I would be way more profitable.
  • rhinocerosrhinoceros Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Baseball in Sept should really be Limited to a very few plays if any at all. The reason for that is your paying way to high a price for the contenders vs Non Contenders the books know who your going to play and the number is shaded big time so you think you'll out smart them and take the dog and then get killed. You don't want to play a game were two teams are out of it because it then becomes like a spring training game which IMO I don't bet. Spot Play Base base when two teams are contending. CFB and NFL I understand you play what you like regardless of how many plays but IMO 1% bets and you should never go broke. The % of your bets has to be way to high the month isn't half over. Better luck when you get back in action.

Just because a game is irrelevant to one or both teams, it is not necessarily a bad betting opportunity. I do well on NFL exhibition for example. It's not bad, just different.
  • chuckhchuckh Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Getting back to Lumpy's question is yes Lumpy strictly because of futures. I don't have any problems since I am spread out but I did have to call and get credit bumped A little this month because of futures. Hoping to cash in some baseball futures which so far looks like ahead right at 3 units on those depending on how last 2 weeks season goes. kind of sucks one out does not hang college totals until Fridays.
  • tardevil477tardevil477 Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    just my 2 cents. I think the psychology of betting is what messes most people up. What I mean by that is that we know that we all have different amounts of money that when we win give us the satisfaction of a job well done. For some of us that's layin $11 to win 10 others its $110 to win $100 and some are $110k to win $100k. I think for some that are at the lower end of the spectrum, like most of us, we think hey "I would love to win $10k this football season betting $11 to win $10." but that's unrealistic however we still want to be the guys betting $10k a game. This is in contrast to the guy who has the bankroll to bet 11k and the money management to be able to profit 50k in half the season and then shut it down and "declare victory". I personally have come to the arrangement that whatever season I'm playing (nfl, college, NCAA,etc) I have 40 units at the beginning of the season. My stated goal is to get up 20 units. Some seasons I break even, some I end the season up 5 units, some down as much as 20 units, but I have never been wiped out. The probability of , i believe, of going 0 and 36, which is what it would take to wipe me out witht the juice, is probably the same as me going 36 and 0. Not likely.I have gotten up 20 units in three weeks and then "shut it down". It's hard but I like feeling good about myself and I don't like the stress and the issues that come with losing some I cannot afford to lose. It's different for everyone but I would agree with what some of the others above and say that u are risking to much per bet to be wiped out already. If ur the $11 to win $10 player make sure u have 40 units before u start back. If ur the $110k to win 100k player make sure u have 40 units before u start back. Limit your plays to what u have calculated u have an edge on. Just an FYI. I have bet 5 baseball games this week(m-f). 8 Cfb games, including Saturday, and I will probably have about 6 nfl plays this week. That's it. I took 2 days off this week too. I'm comfortable with that. U may have found more plays that u have an edge on, and if so play them, but you need to just feel good about what ur doing. I hope this helps. I'm not trying to tell u what to do. Just trying to explain my experience
  • bumpobumpo Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Some seem to be missing the point. Lumpy is not busted, he just has a lot pending.
    edited September 2012
    rhinoceros wrote: »
    Just because a game is irrelevant to one or both teams, it is not necessarily a bad betting opportunity. I do well on NFL exhibition for example. It's not bad, just different.

I believe Sept Baseball has ruined many a B/R and I didn't say anything about NFL Exhibition. Spring Training Base Ball and NFL Exhibition are completely different and it's just MO anyway. But betting two baseball teams that are playing to see what they have for next year with a 40 man roster it's not for me. I've been gambling over 50 years and you know I'm still around and gamble everyday well almost every day and still living a very decent life. I do pass once in a while.
    So to each his own and the best of luck moving forward.
  • ContrarianContrarian Banned
    edited September 2012
    Coops wrote: »
    But anyway, I think if I capped myself and didnt just bet endlessly I would be way more profitable.

wut
    edited September 2012
    bumpo wrote: »
    Some seem to be missing the point. Lumpy is not busted, he just has a lot pending.

The title says I'm out of money by Friday. Maybe Broke was the wrong word but it doesn't sound like he's flush.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Do all of you have a set bank roll for gambling? I think thats my number 1 problem is I just bet, I dont have a set denomination really and I dont have a limited number of funds. I only use credit shops so thats probably why I bet so much.

You already know my answer. Along those lines, I would strongly consider that you define your BR. I have to assume you're not over-betting to the point that you'd go broke in a severe downswing (since it seemed that you experienced one earlier this baseball season), but without a set BR, I have no idea how you go about bet-sizing. This is also likely why your mind was blown when you ran the numbers.

If you want to be prudent about your bankroll management, you really need to sit down and do some analysis, much like you would with an overall budget.
    edited September 2012
    Contrarian wrote: »

wut

I meant put a cap on my money.
    edited September 2012
    Goats wrote: »
    You already know my answer. Along those lines, I would strongly consider that you define your BR. I have to assume you're not over-betting to the point that you'd go broke in a severe downswing (since it seemed that you experienced one earlier this baseball season), but without a set BR, I have no idea how you go about bet-sizing. This is also likely why your mind was blown when you ran the numbers.

If you want to be prudent about your bankroll management, you really need to sit down and do some analysis, much like you would with an overall budget.

Thats the problem, how do I define my bank roll. Plus, I know I have very little discipline, when I get pissed I bet bigger and so on. I've been gambling pretty much daily since 2001 though and have never been close to bust. I have tried to not bet and watch a game and my interest just wains quickly. If I dont bet on a particular game my interest in it just isnt there. Thats why when speaking with friends I often say that sports betting has ruined sports for me. The only days I have taken off where when I got married and my honeymoon, other than that, I've bet on something every day.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Thats the problem, how do I define my bank roll. Plus, I know I have very little discipline, when I get pissed I bet bigger and so on. I've been gambling pretty much daily since 2001 though and have never been close to bust. I have tried to not bet and watch a game and my interest just wains quickly. If I dont bet on a particular game my interest in it just isnt there. Thats why when speaking with friends I often say that sports betting has ruined sports for me. The only days I have taken off where when I got married and my honeymoon, other than that, I've bet on something every day.

You might try what a lot of us do-- bet the games you're going to watch in a TV parlay (another word for trash parlay)-- go through the schedule and make your straight bets, and then take teams that you kind of like, or TV games , and bet a small money 4 teamer, or 6 teamer. I find I root harder for these parlays (even though I know I'll probably tear up the ticket) just because of the win-a-lumberyard-with-a-toothpick factor. I don't sweat my straight bets because I figure I'll cash enough to make a profit. I figure I would have spent this money going out on a Saturday-- instead it's spent on Trash bets. Rooting interest.
    edited September 2012
    You might try what a lot of us do-- bet the games you're going to watch in a TV parlay (another word for trash parlay)-- go through the schedule and make your straight bets, and then take teams that you kind of like, or TV games , and bet a small money 4 teamer, or 6 teamer. I find I root harder for these parlays (even though I know I'll probably tear up the ticket) just because of the win-a-lumberyard-with-a-toothpick factor. I don't sweat my straight bets because I figure I'll cash enough to make a profit. I figure I would have spent this money going out on a Saturday-- instead it's spent on Trash bets. Rooting interest.

Out of the 148 plays Ive made since 09/01/12 20 of them have been teasers or parlays... wanna guess my record on them.... 0-20 for -3,254.42... LOL. Found that fact out this morning and I vowed to restrict parlay/teaser limit to 50 dollars max to cap the losses because I know i can't just cut them out as like you, I always root for the lumberyard/toothpick picks. Its a learning process and this weekend I am going to try to define a set amount for betting and see what number I can come up with.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited September 2012

As I've mentioned several times over the years, I personally like Stanford Wong's definition of bankroll, which is basically "The amount that, if lost, would cause you to quit gambling forever."

You should look at gambling like a business. Say you open a store/restaurant (which I've never done, so excuse me if my analogy isn't perfect). I would assume you should have $X amount budgeted to sustain the business until it becomes profitable, but at some point, if it is losing money, you have to be prepared to close up shop. The same would apply to gambling.

I'm far better at playing patient than shrink, but to address your more psychological issues...

As far as being undisciplined, you've already identified it as a weakness, so that's the first step. It's likely easier said than done, especially after a decade, but you just need to find a way to work on it. If you're able to define your bankroll and create a business plan of sorts, maybe that will help keep you from going on tilt.

As far as gambling having ruined sports for you, I can relate, but in a slightly different way. Because this has been my primary source of income for so long, I also have lost interest in most sports as a fan. Unlike you, however, I would never bet on a game just to give me a viewing interest. Outside of the NFL, the only remaining league I still enjoy as a fan, the only time I'll even watch a regular season game is if I happen to have money on it... and even then it will usually only be if I have nothing better to do. I don't mean to sound corny, but I'd rather be spending time with my wife doing just about anything than watching a random MLB or CFB game. Again, likely easier said than done after a decade, but you just need to work on not betting purely for the sake of betting (if that's what you want to do). Since I'm not a shrink and truly more likely in need of one than to pretend to be one, I'm not sure what to suggest. This isn't meant to be judgmental or condescending, but perhaps you need to find something to take the place of watching/betting on so many games. If you have no interest in watching a game without betting it, then don't watch it, find something else to do.

I realize I got a little long-winded, which I tend to do, so if I took things too far, wound up boring you, or was in any way unhelpful, my apologies.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Out of the 148 plays Ive made since 09/01/12 20 of them have been teasers or parlays... wanna guess my record on them.... 0-20 for -3,254.42... LOL. Found that fact out this morning and I vowed to restrict parlay/teaser limit to 50 dollars max to cap the losses because I know i can't just cut them out as like you, I always root for the lumberyard/toothpick picks. Its a learning process and this weekend I am going to try to define a set amount for betting and see what number I can come up with.

0-20. Ave loss/bet= $162. Perhaps you missed my statement-- bet SMALL money. Regardless of your normal bet size, I would suggest that parlays be for $100 or less. What you lose on parlays shouldn't be dragging down your winnings for the day/week too much. If you can't get a rooting interest with a small bet amount, then Goats is right-- you should give up the parlay betting.
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    The title says I'm out of money by Friday. Maybe Broke was the wrong word but it doesn't sound like he's flush.

While I agree I'm not flush.....my point was that my entire bankroll is in play by friday. Weekend happens and it starts all over again, it's strictly September, that's the only month I have a problem but it's every September no matter what my bankroll.
    edited September 2012
    Goats wrote: »
    As I've mentioned several times over the years, I personally like Stanford Wong's definition of bankroll, which is basically "The amount that, if lost, would cause you to quit gambling forever."

You should look at gambling like a business. Say you open a store/restaurant (which I've never done, so excuse me if my analogy isn't perfect). I would assume you should have $X amount budgeted to sustain the business until it becomes profitable, but at some point, if it is losing money, you have to be prepared to close up shop. The same would apply to gambling.

I'm far better at playing patient than shrink, but to address your more psychological issues...

As far as being undisciplined, you've already identified it as a weakness, so that's the first step. It's likely easier said than done, especially after a decade, but you just need to find a way to work on it. If you're able to define your bankroll and create a business plan of sorts, maybe that will help keep you from going on tilt.

As far as gambling having ruined sports for you, I can relate, but in a slightly different way. Because this has been my primary source of income for so long, I also have lost interest in most sports as a fan. Unlike you, however, I would never bet on a game just to give me a viewing interest. Outside of the NFL, the only remaining league I still enjoy as a fan, the only time I'll even watch a regular season game is if I happen to have money on it... and even then it will usually only be if I have nothing better to do. I don't mean to sound corny, but I'd rather be spending time with my wife doing just about anything than watching a random MLB or CFB game. Again, likely easier said than done after a decade, but you just need to work on not betting purely for the sake of betting (if that's what you want to do). Since I'm not a shrink and truly more likely in need of one than to pretend to be one, I'm not sure what to suggest. This isn't meant to be judgmental or condescending, but perhaps you need to find something to take the place of watching/betting on so many games. If you have no interest in watching a game without betting it, then don't watch it, find something else to do.

I realize I got a little long-winded, which I tend to do, so if I took things too far, wound up boring you, or was in any way unhelpful, my apologies.

Very well said Goats,

Life and money will pass you bye if you have to watch and bet every game that's on TV. I know you heard this before but it's Money management, Discipline and patience. If there was only one thing to learn from any kind of gambling is yesterday's losses are just that yesterdays losses leave it alone. $100 bettor goes 0-5 and loses $550 for the day the next day you like two or three games you bet them for a $100 even though you know if I go 3-0 I'm still stuck $250 that's where the patience comes in.

That's hardest part of gambling every day is that you think you have to recoup all of yesterday's loses the next day or that night.
    Monday Night Football the greatest invention for the books since the wheel. Then Sunday night football came along and now you get two games on some Mondays Great Just Great. For the books. Take a $100 bettor and he becomes a $300 bettor that night and then a $500 bettor that Monday.