Betting Talk

Will Washington really shut down Strasburg?

lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
edited August 2012 in Sports Betting
I wonder if they'll stick to this.

Comments

• CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    lol, after his performance 2 days ago i think they'd be happy to... j/k

But if ur washington, why wouldnt u just sit him now and then use him in post season? Have him due his bullpen sessions, etc but dont use him in the games. That would keep his innings down and allow him to pitch in post season.
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Coops wrote: »
    lol, after his performance 2 days ago i think they'd be happy to... j/k

But if ur washington, why wouldnt u just sit him now and then use him in post season? Have him due his bullpen sessions, etc but dont use him in the games. That would keep his innings down and allow him to pitch in post season.

That's what I'd lean towards doing but I don't know enough about baseball to know if that's even possible. Plus it's not like they've locked up a playoff spot, ATL is right there in the division and a few other teams right there in the WC and you definitely don't want to end up a WC with the 1 game playoff this year.
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    i look at it like this. The Nats have a legit chance to make a good run this year and there are zero gaurantees that will happen next year or any year following or he may destroy his arm for good next year even though they rested him, etc. if they are truly making a run at something speical this year then you have to go all out and that includes pitching him as many innings as needed (of course if he is pitcihng effectively which he will). Resting him doesn't do anything but postpone chances to help win a pennant. Seize the moment... carpe diem i think that is :)...
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    newcombe wrote: »
    i look at it like this. The Nats have a legit chance to make a good run this year and there are zero gaurantees that will happen next year or any year following or he may destroy his arm for good next year even though they rested him, etc. if they are truly making a run at something speical this year then you have to go all out and that includes pitching him as many innings as needed (of course if he is pitcihng effectively which he will). Resting him doesn't do anything but postpone chances to help win a pennant. Seize the moment... carpe diem i think that is :)...

I agree with everything you said, But sadly I have Under 11.5 Wins for him so I'm all for shutting him down now...
    edited August 2012
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    I agree with everything you said, But sadly I have Under 11.5 Wins for him so I'm all for shutting him down now...

LOL. since I don't really care about the Nats or Straz, i am rooting for you OT. gl my friend!
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    newcombe wrote: »

I would take the nats over any team in the nl if we are talking about success in the next 5 years.
  • kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    worm33 wrote: »
    I would take the nats over any team in the nl if we are talking about success in the next 5 years.

They have Rendon as well. If he can stay healthy thats another huge talent.
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    They're what, +1000 to win the WS? I haven't seen odds, just guessing. You want to risk Strasburg's future on that longshot? It's not like they're overwhelming favorites by any means. Shutting him down is the right move. Protect the best young arm in baseball. They'll get their shot soon enough.
    edited August 2012
    I am curious if this has been done before and big as much of a spectacle as this? Sure he has a great arm but he isn't unhittable and the best ever by any means. Sports is about winning and winning now when you have the ability too. All i am saying is what if he gets hurt anyhow next year, etc. You can't predict the future so i say if you have the chance to win now - which we'll see where they are when the innings build up to the point of shutdown and make the decision at that time - don't just say right now that he are 100% shutting him down. thats absurd.
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    He Actualy is pretty much unhittable and might be the most talented in our era. Him and verlander are in a class of their own imo
    edited August 2012
    hes obviously damn good and has been from a very young age but he still gets hit as does every great pitcher on certain days. i just don't think you can make the decision 100% to sit him down until the time presents itself and where they are at in the race.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    They're what, +1000 to win the WS? I haven't seen odds, just guessing. You want to risk Strasburg's future on that longshot? It's not like they're overwhelming favorites by any means. Shutting him down is the right move. Protect the best young arm in baseball. They'll get their shot soon enough.

Disagree Tribe. You're cheating the current roster for the benefit of one player with a questionable move. Strasburg's flawed mechanics make him susceptible to arm/elbow injuries rested or not. If they were so concerned about the health and development of SS wtf did they call him up so early in his career? Sounds like another concern now is job security--RIZZO'S--.

The Nats rationale is way outta the box here. Ownership has fallen in love with the "chase" and not the "moment" Newcombe referred to. All you doubters should read up on Dr. Mike Marshall and what his kinesiology practice thinks about pitching limitations. An opposing opinion from a premier relief pitcher that could pitch every day.

The National's goal is within reach this year. Second chances may never come......ask Dan Marino.
  • lilylily Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    Agree with Ron, they have a good chance to reach WS in a wide open NL, somewhere around 3-1..no guarantee they are in this position again even with all the young talent..
    edited August 2012
    Rizzo is a hard headed fool to think he can't change the decision from 5 months ago now that the Nats are in the thick of the race. These kinds of comments he makes sicken me. You have to be versatile and adapt, not just say well I made the decision 5 months ago and I am not changing b/c I am hard headed. Foolish man...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8270168/washington-nationals-players-question-club-plan-sit-stephen-strasburg
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    There's been talk of them going to a 6 man rotation but IMO that can throw the whole staff off. We all know we are creatures of habits and when change comes some adapt and for some it takes longer. Monitor his innings but to shut him down it's just hard believe they would do this. This isn't only a dis-service to him but to the whole organization. Will see maybe sharper heads will prevail.
    edited August 2012
    we'll see how the Nats finish off the reg season and hopefully someone trumps the GM as they can win it all this year with that pitching staff if Stras in included. I am sure as anything that Stras will be disgusted if they force him to sit - his own dad is going to beg for him to play. oh well, only time will tell.
  • KashmirKashmir Senior Member
    edited August 2012
    I have no problem with them limiting his innings. But once it became apparent that the post season was a possibility, they needed to do whatever it took to pitch him into October. They need to skip some of his starts NOW.
    edited August 2012
    Kashmir wrote: »
    I have no problem with them limiting his innings. But once it became apparent that the post season was a possibility, they needed to do whatever it took to pitch him into October. They need to skip some of his starts NOW.

i think cooops mentioned this earlier in the thread. how would it affect him to sit now instead of then or better yet how would it affect the time as winning now is obviously very important as well? could he keep his stuff up to par with starts off? Stevie may have a good answer to this. He usually does when it pertains to questions as such... others opinions I would love to hear as well.