Betting Talk

Why can't I re-bet?

lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
edited July 2012 in Sports Betting
Book opens a line, small limits, I like the line and make a limit bet(because i'm a bigshot), book adjusts line.....but I can no longer bet. Not all books are like this but some are and I don't understand the logic. They've moved the line, it's now a new bet yet I still have my limit. The smaller limits have allowed them to get the information they're looking for, they've adjusted. For some reason this really bothers me.

I'm not talking about props/exotics or anything like that. I understand why I can't re-bet those(although Greek used to allow this).

Comments

• ContrarianContrarian Banned
    edited July 2012
    This just in, lumpy is good and he's not afraid to tell us.
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    Contrarian wrote: »
    This just in, lumpy is good and he's not afraid to tell us.

That's not the point of my post, I can see why it comes across that way which is why i took a sarcastic shot at myself but I'm actually curious what logic a book could use to justify this.
    edited July 2012
    Do you really have to ask why a book puts limits on bets? Why do they limit any bet, lumpy? I'm sorry, but for someone with your betting prowess to not "get" why books have limits/disallows even on repops seems a bit far-fetched to me, I stand by my original thought that these type of posts from you are all ego-driven. Really, we get it - you're good.
    edited July 2012
    Do you really have to ask why a book puts limits on bets? Why do they limit any bet, lumpy? I'm sorry, but for someone with your betting prowess to not "get" why books have limits/disallows even on repops seems a bit far-fetched to me, I stand by my original thought that these type of posts from you are all ego-driven. Really, we get it - you're good.

Thanks for shitting all over the thread. Love having you around here.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited July 2012

FWIW, I didn't take his post that way. I think it's a valid question. I can see the logic in it. If they've moved the line on you, they should now be willing to accept more action on it. That's how many books operate. As an example, 5Dimes has cut my limits like almost everyone else with a pulse, but I can re-bet after they move the line (or even sometimes when they don't move it).

Contrarian, you've given your opinion, you're just being inflammatory at this point, let it go. Thanks.
    edited July 2012
    Pinny will open something with $100 limits but allow multiple re-bets as long as they can move the line.

Heritage and betonline will not allow this and I don't know why they are diving into the opening market if they don't want to allow re-bets on smaller limits. I'm giving them the information they're looking for when they post a number, I'm betting what they will allow, they move the line but don't allow me to make a new bet. We're talking about $250 bets here, I'm not bragging or looking for my ego to be stroked.
    edited July 2012
    lumpy19 wrote: »
    Thanks for shitting all over the thread. Love having you around here.

lol, anything to help. I like how I'm the bad guy for exposing that you're just trying to feed your ego. I mean do you SERIOUSLY not get why they limit you? Honestly, books are running scared on every type of bet from winning players.....they know that lumpy pwns props and openers and is a winning player....lumpy makes a limit bet at open (newsflash - you're probably not the only sharp to do so).....they move the line (but they can't move it enough so that you will middle them, as you have surely done), but they know from past experiences that you (and the other sharps) are probably gonna hit it again (and maybe again and again).....you expect them to just sit back and continually let you take their money?

It's either pure ego posting or amazing that you are so sharp yet so clueless simultaneously.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited July 2012
    It's either pure ego posting or amazing that you are so sharp yet so clueless simultaneously.

Completely unnecessary. For someone that should know the rules around here, please brush up on Rule #4. Thanks.
    edited July 2012
    lol, anything to help. I like how I'm the bad guy for exposing that you're just trying to feed your ego. I mean do you SERIOUSLY not get why they limit you? Honestly, books are running scared on every type of bet from winning players.....they know that lumpy pwns props and openers and is a winning player....lumpy makes a limit bet at open (newsflash - you're probably not the only sharp to do so).....they move the line (but they can't move it enough so that you will middle them, as you have surely done), but they know from past experiences that you (and the other sharps) are probably gonna hit it again (and maybe again and again).....you expect them to just sit back and continually let you take their money?

I almost never bet openers because I don't make my own numbers, it's a new area for me. pinny, cris, 5dimes allow me to re-bet, heritage/BOL don't. BOL can certainly tolerate winners and wants to be a big player.
    edited July 2012
    Have you beaten Heritage, BOL thus far?
    edited July 2012
    I almost never bet openers because I don't make my own numbers, it's a new area for me. pinny, cris, 5dimes allow me to re-bet, heritage/BOL don't. BOL can certainly tolerate winners and wants to be a big player.

Exactly why I felt it was a valid question... some books do, some books don't. I guess it's just different philosophies in risk management but still agree with you that it makes more sense to allow re-bets post-move.
    edited July 2012
    Have you beaten Heritage, BOL thus far?

Definitely a loser at heritage, not sure of my status at BOL but if I'm up it's a miniscule amount.
    edited July 2012
    Definitely a loser at heritage, not sure of my status at BOL but if I'm up it's a miniscule amount.

Well, if that is the history that they had on you over a large sample, they should certainly let you repop (with the exception being if you absolutely crushed lines over that same history).

But my original statements were based upon the fact that you've always presented yourself as a mega-winning player, which would yield any smart business owner who was giving you an out to try and put the brakes on you.....and if you weren't happy with it you could always go elsewhere.

I don't blame the books one iota for their limits on good players.....you and I would do the exact same thing if in their shoes, otherwise you'd be out of business pretty quickly, don't ya think?
    edited July 2012
    Well, if that is the history that they had on you over a large sample, they should certainly let you repop (with the exception being if you absolutely crushed lines over that same history).

But my original statements were based upon the fact that you've always presented yourself as a mega-winning player, which would yield any smart business owner who was giving you an out to try and put the brakes on you.....and if you weren't happy with it you could always go elsewhere.

I don't blame the books one iota for their limits on good players.....you and I would do the exact same thing if in their shoes, otherwise you'd be out of business pretty quickly, don't ya think?

I completely agree. I've been limited and cutoff at several shops, I get it. The opening market is different though IMO which was my whole point here. They open at small limits and all those little bets allow the line to take shape establishing the market, then slowly raise limits. If I want to give them good information early on they should take it....if they figure out I suck they learn not to move the line when I bet. If they figure out I'm ahead of the game then don't allow re-pops or just cut me as a customer. I'm fine with either of those options.

I would think the people at Heritage would get this, they pretty much copy pinny/5d and both those shops allow re-bets after the line move.
    edited July 2012
    I completely agree.

Now there is something you won't read everyday :-)

Perhaps comparing Heritage and/or BOL to Pinny and/or 5D is where you're going wrong then.
    edited July 2012
    Now there is something you won't read everyday :-)

Perhaps comparing Heritage and/or BOL to Pinny and/or 5D is where you're going wrong then.

Maybe but both shops seem to want to enter the opening market, especially betonline, they pretty much open everything at this point. Heritage was opening all the NBA playoff games.
    edited July 2012
    Good example, BOL opened the first day of CFB games 2 days ago, I bet $500 on one of the games, it's been sitting there 2 days, shouldn't I be able to bet it again?
    edited July 2012
    Good example, BOL opened the first day of CFB games 2 days ago, I bet $500 on one of the games, it's been sitting there 2 days, shouldn't I be able to bet it again?

I have a feeling that you beat lines over there and you admitted that you are up on them.

"Nope Mr. Lumpy, be happy with your $500, I realize that we haven't moved the line, but we think that you are on the right side and we aren't heavy enough to move off of the game that is a month away from now. Enjoy your bet and if you have an issue with it, you can always forego the checks that you receive from us and move on to another out. Thank you and have a great day!"

Do you think that your betting history between other books gets shared?
    edited July 2012
    I have a feeling that you beat lines over there and you admitted that you are up on them.

"Nope Mr. Lumpy, be happy with your $500, I realize that we haven't moved the line, but we think that you are on the right side and we aren't heavy enough to move off of the game that is a month away from now. Enjoy your bet and if you have an issue with it, you can always forego the checks that you receive from us and move on to another out. Thank you and have a great day!"

Do you think that your betting history between other books gets shared?

That may be the case but they don't allow re-bets for anyone.

It would be nice to know if they share info, although most of the money I've won isn't from very reputable books.
    edited July 2012
    Not allowing re-bets for anyone certainly makes it easier on them to make decisions on their numbers obv.

info is shared between books
    -10000 yes
  • TwoninerTwoniner Member
    edited July 2012
    This is a very fair question and something that is fairly new with books it seems. No rebets at the same number is one thing. No rebetting after line moves makes little sense.
  • kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    I dont really understand not allowing rebets at all - If you are mirroring Pinny then allowing losing players to repop is going to be a profitable move. Now if you are making your own market like Betonline seems to want to claim you should allow winning players to rebet line moves at lower limits because they are the ones giving you good information.
    edited July 2012
    Note to pdiddy, next personal attack may result in a ban as you suggested (in the post I deleted). I try to give everyone a warning first.

Thanks for understanding.
  • CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    Goats wrote: »
    Note to pdiddy, next personal attack may result in a ban as you suggested (in the post I deleted). I try to give everyone a warning first.

Thanks for understanding.

Goats - if u get banned is it for life, or just like a one week time out? Just curious.
    edited July 2012
    Coops wrote: »
    Goats - if u get banned is it for life, or just like a one week time out? Just curious.

Can be anywhere from hours to permanent and ultimately Ed's decision. Honestly, we've hardly banned anyone (outside of spammers) since back when I first joined BT and we were cleaning up the forum and taking it in a new direction. Most recent bannings have been relatively short.

It really takes repeated infractions and/or ignoring a mod or Ed's request to knock it off to get banned.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    Many books don't take re-bets because of primitive software. Also, the fear of market manipulation. I don't wanna explain either.
  • helmuthelmut Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    I would think the people at Heritage would get this, they pretty much copy pinny/5d and both those shops allow re-bets after the line move.

Heritage copy's Pinny's number with in seconds. They have some automated program linked with the odds at Pinnacle, that adjusts the lines whenever somebody makes a big enough wager to move the number. When I had an account there I always had to bet early numbers there before Pinnacle.
    edited July 2012
    helmut wrote: »
    Heritage copy's Pinny's number with in seconds. They have some automated program linked with the odds at Pinnacle, that adjusts the lines whenever somebody makes a big enough wager to move the number. When I had an account there I always had to bet early numbers there before Pinnacle.

I think they've changed to 5dimes now. I've seen on a few occasions a wacky number show up at 5d and within seconds the same number shows up at Heritage.
  • chuckhchuckh Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    Heritage has been copying BOL opening numbers on arena football games until Bookmaker opens with their lines. When BM opens with their lines, both books immediately copy BM's lines.
  • increasedoddincreasedodd Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    It makes no sense to me. I guess I suppose books have to have some way to limit exposure, but this far before the season it would be so easy to lay it off I dont get it. What difference does it make if Lumpy bets 10 times or if Lumpy bets then I bet then goats bets.... Pinny gets it right. They move the line and then you can rebet. If the other books are worried, just move the line more.

As an aside why is pinny using 2 minutes for NFL season win rebets? They are 10 or 30 seconds for everything else most the time. Hope this is not the new norm for all sports.