Betting Talk

Paterno knew about everything...and covered it all up.

odiecabodiecab Senior Member
edited August 2012 in Sports Betting
So many young vitims that could of been avoided. How Sick!

Comments

• ggm1976ggm1976 Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    Scumbag....thats all I got to say
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    wtf blame any dead guy. They have no chance for rebuttal. Shut the PSU football program down for atleast a year and give all athletes an opportunity to transfer immediately.
  • kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    Ronbets wrote: »
    wtf blame any dead guy. They have no chance for rebuttal. Shut the PSU football program down for atleast a year and give all athletes an opportunity to transfer immediately.

All giving a program the death penalty does is punish the current and future players not to mention all the other athletes that football program is supporting financially. Many more people will be going to jail and JPa is dead. Leave the kids alone and let the school recover from this horror.
    edited July 2012
    The school through its leadership committed multiple felonies. The institution must be punished and bear full responsibity. The students will recover and move on from this tainted university.

Btw, Louie Freeh wasn't a JEHoover and currently is an Italian citizen.
    edited July 2012
    The school through its leadership committed multiple felonies. The institution must be punished and bear full responsibity. The students will recover and move on from this tainted university.

The individuals hired committed those felonies and I totally agree they should rot in jail, however punishing the student athletes is the last thing we need to do. As a student athlete who transferred twice once by choice, and once because my institution folded my sport I can tell you only a very lucky few succeed after transferring no matter the reason.
    edited July 2012
    You know kass this is an emotional topic............especially if one has young children. Let's see if the right results develop.
    edited July 2012
    You know kass this is an emotional topic............especially if one has young children. Let's see if the right results develop.

I can agree, I just hate to see more kids have their college lives ruined because of a bunch of scumbags.
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    Here's the guideline for "lack of institution control" for colleges.

http://compliance.pac-12.org/thetools/instctl.pdf

I think we all agree that not reporting a crime, within the athletic department, is worse than not reporting a booster violation, right. I think you have to suspend this program for lack of institutional control.

If the NCAA stopped the SMU football program in the 80's because the cover up of paying athletes went all the way to the top of the university. Please tell me how covering up a horrific crime by same level of administrators isn't worse than covering the paying of athletes.

Freeh's line says it all.

"The most powerful men at Penn State failed to take any steps for 14 years to protect the children who Sandusky victimized," Freeh said.

I'd feel bad for the kids that are in the current program. However not as bad as I feel for the kids not helped because of the Sandusky cover up. The current college kids can transfer.

This university used its administrative power, in all accounts, to cover up a pedophile that was part of the athletic department. Somewhere there was lack of institutional control.
    edited July 2012
    except when the NCAA speaks of lack of institutional control they are speaking in regards to NCAA rules violations, not the breaking of laws by those employed by the institution.

The SMU situation is completely different in that the PLAYERS were directly involved in these violations and they were breaking the absolute number one rule in regards to college and amateur athletics.

Yes what occurred to the victims is horrible but trying to equate this to anything related to NCAA rules violations is just crazy.

Please explain how now destroying what these athletes have, helps the victims of this crime. The people involved have been exposed and are either dead, in jail or on their way to jail. I would say we dont rest until those not yet in jail are put away for a long time instead of worrying about the kids playing football.
  • HowardBealHowardBeal Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    Is this worse than the Baylor basketball situation?
  • RightAngleRightAngle Admin
    edited July 2012
    The question then is, how is the university going to be held accountable for what happened? If not suspending the football team?
  • jimmymojimmymo Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    If I were Penn State, I would immediately be thinking about a victims pool, and maybe fund it from football revenues over the next 10 years -- killing the program and punishing the athletes is not the answer.
  • ContrarianContrarian Banned
    edited July 2012
    Spare me the entire "punishing the athletes" spiel, that form of punishment has been the NCAA's go-to move for players at schools who were getting free tattoos, free meals, free cars, etc.....why should Pedophile State be any different, especially given that the crimes committed on that campus dwarf all of the other transgressions committed in the history of sports combined?
  • The MavenThe Maven Junior Member
    edited July 2012
    jimmymo wrote: »
    If I were Penn State, I would immediately be thinking about a victims pool, and maybe fund it from football revenues over the next 10 years -- killing the program and punishing the athletes is not the answer.

Unfortunately money cannot overcome these misdeeds and ultimately suspension of the program may be the only way to enforce institutional accounability (as Ed stated) in the eyes of the NCAA and most of the public, even though only a few individuals committed these acts as far as we know today. As a PSU alum I could not be more saddened.
  • RightAngleRightAngle Admin
    edited July 2012
    If there is not some kind of major accountability for the program and university, it wouldn't be sending the right message to other programs and universities.
  • MikeRASMikeRAS Senior Handicapper
    edited July 2012
    Michael McCann, director of the Sports Law Institute at Vermont Law School, said the Freeh Report, which details an in-depth investigation led by former FBI chief Louis Freeh, creates a compelling case for the NCAA to sanction Penn State for "lack of institutional control."

Other experts say that if the NCAA's enforcement staff were to become heavily involved in what has largely been a criminal investigation, it could set a new and troubling precedent for how the NCAA polices schools.

"The NCAA works to manage collegiate competition," said Jo Potuto, a former NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions chairwoman who is a professor of constitutional law at the University of Nebraska College of Law. "It's not an association in which the national office is supposed to be a hall monitor for everything that occurs on a campus."

Potuto said that because the Penn State scandal occurred within the football program and on its premises, it is connected to athletics, although the underlying violations are not.

In past situations intertwining athletics and criminal activity, the NCAA became involved only when NCAA rules were violated, Potuto said. The 2003 murder of Baylor basketball player Patrick Dennehy by a teammate is one example.

DOCUMENT: Paterno, Penn State failed in Sandusky case, report finds

"When the NCAA enforcement process was triggered there, it wasn't because that player was killed by another player on the team," Potuto said. "It was because the coach paid players under the table."
  • redrum14redrum14 Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    Glad the piece of shit is dead!
    edited July 2012
    They should take both of his sons and drag them down main street naked
  • redrum14redrum14 Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    I agree ggm1976! Paterno was god at that place and he covered that shit up and the real god took he ass to the grave!
  • Mrtk31Mrtk31 Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    As pissed off as I am about Paterno HIDING this SICKO, I feel so sorry for the guys who were abused and then have no recourse. I'm also feeling for Mrs. JoePa.

Im still confused: how many men knew about this & not one said 'Ill get another job!' & report it.
  • RickPetermanRickPeterman Member
    edited July 2012
    Of course this is football related. If Paterno and others had spoken up, they would have "damaged" their football program. The fact they didn't speak up meant they could keep things going as if nothing happened. They broke laws to get a competitive advantage on the football field.
  • odiecabodiecab Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    Give them the death penelty. But now there is talk about Big Ten removel. In the end kicking them out of the Big Ten is probably whats best. This is a major disgrace to the conference among many others.
    edited July 2012
    The Statue must be taken down and destroyed.
    edited July 2012
    odiecab wrote: »
    The Statue must be taken down and destroyed.

Uh yeah.

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/07/20/joe-paterno-statue-will-come-down-this-weekend-according-to-nfl-networks-kimberly-jones/

But why destroy it? Les(HCPawn) might give the university $200 for it to defray civil suits down the road.
    edited July 2012
    I would take the statue down, rip out the arms and shove them where the sun dont shine, for the 3 remaining scumbags and paternos sons! See how they enjoy the abuse!
  • increasedoddincreasedodd Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    I blame the guy who did the crime.

In any case, I'd give PSU the option of the death penalty or paying 25-50% of football revenue to a victims fund and/or education on child abuse fund for the next decade or two.
  • The MavenThe Maven Junior Member
    edited July 2012
    ggm1976 wrote: »
    Scumbag....thats all I got to say

Apparently not (but you should have stopped at "Scumbag"):

"They should take both of his sons and drag them down main street naked"

"I would take the statue down, rip out the arms and shove them where the sun dont shine, for the 3 remaining scumbags and paternos sons! See how they enjoy the abuse!"

The statue will come down because it is the right thing to do, not because of idle threats...
    edited July 2012
    Yeah Maven, just like the kids that were threatened when your boy uncle Jerry told u better do this and that, or they or their families would get hurt....or when your other go to guys threatened more kids when they failed to act so u can sit on your couch and watch psu football.
    edited July 2012
    This sorry ass program is now dead.
    edited July 2012
    First victim to sue Penn State has come forward