Betting Talk

Houston - Lucas Harrell

turksureturksure Senior Member
edited July 2012 in Sports Betting
Houston 1 - 0 win, Harrell goes the distance. Bases loaded 9th, closer not needed. That was a great final inning to watch.

Comments

• GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited June 2012
    turksure wrote: »
    Houston 1 - 0 win, Harrell goes the distance. Bases loaded 9th, closer not needed. That was a great final inning to watch.

Speaking as a fan or a Houston bettor? As the latter, I'll take a boring 1-2-3 9th over that any day. :)
  • turksureturksure Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    I here that! Houston 2 hits with the 1-0 win and shortest game of the year, 1:57. Not a Houston or big baseball fan, was interesting to watch, also with a guy throw out at home for the 2nd out in the 9th.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited June 2012
    turksure wrote: »
    I here that! Houston 2 hits with the 1-0 win and shortest game of the year, 1:57. Not a Houston or big baseball fan, was interesting to watch, also with a guy throw out at home for the 2nd out in the 9th.

I was only following the play-by-play, but saw the clip of the guy getting thrown out at home after the game ended. Pretty good play by the catcher with the throw all the way on the first base side of home plate, although they clearly shouldn't have sent the runner since he was beat fairly easily by a far-from-perfect throw.
  • rhinocerosrhinoceros Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    It seems like a terrible managing decision to leave him in. He obviously struggled through the 9th. After a hit and a walk, with 1 out, it's time to pull him. Yeah, he misses the chance for a complete game shutout, but it is your best chance to win. The next 2 batters...single...walk. It's only a play at the plate that saved the game.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    rhinoceros wrote: »
    It seems like a terrible managing decision to leave him in. He obviously struggled through the 9th. After a hit and a walk, with 1 out, it's time to pull him. Yeah, he misses the chance for a complete game shutout, but it is your best chance to win. The next 2 batters...single...walk. It's only a play at the plate that saved the game.

Myers has been used three straight days and is unavailable. Anybody else in that bullpen you'd trust here over a guy who's throwing the best game of his carer so far?
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Myers has been used three straight days and is unavailable. Anybody else in that bullpen you'd trust here over a guy who's throwing the best game of his carer so far?

And the fact that Houston cares way more about devoloping harrell then they do about beating the padres
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    With the new ownership, Astros will unload many of their overpriced stiffs by the trade deadline. Myers, Wandy and Carlos Lee will be history there. They will try to groom youth and fan optimisn. Harrell is part of that.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    They move to the AL next year so they may keep Lee.
    edited June 2012
    They move to the AL next year so they may keep Lee.

Not much of a chance of them keeping a 19million dollar per yr. fat ass aging DH. They might also add JLowrie to the move list.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    A pretty good case can be made that Lowrie deserves to be the starting SS for the NL in the All Star game. He's 28, makes just over $1 mill, is not free agent eligible until 2015 and they traded for him last offseason. He's not going anywhere.
    edited June 2012
    A pretty good case can be made that Lowrie deserves to be the starting SS for the NL in the All Star game. He's 28, makes just over $1 mill, is not free agent eligible until 2015 and they traded for him last offseason. He's not going anywhere.

And keeps getting sat vs lefties.
    edited June 2012

Starting shortstop for the NL squad?? You'd have a gripe if Desmond, Rollins, Furcal, Cozart or SCastro were on the 60 day disabled list. Do you ever watch these games?
    edited June 2012
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Starting shortstop for the NL squad?? You'd have a gripe if Desmond, Rollins, Furcal, Cozart or SCastro were on the 60 day disabled list. Do you ever watch these games?

Did you bother to look at any stats before you posted this?
    edited June 2012
    worm33 wrote: »
    Did you bother to look at any stats before you posted this?

Yeah, how 'bout you??

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/playerpage/1098963/jed-lowrie
    edited June 2012

Ok cool glad were on same page. While I'm here I should ask, did you look at lowries stats and then compare him to the 5 guys you mentioned?
    edited June 2012
    Worm33, check out these guys that distance him:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/playerrankings/positional/regularseason/SS
    edited June 2012
    Worm33, check out these guys that distance him:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/playerrankings/positional/regularseason/SS

Ah ok your going by fantasy baseball rankings. That makes sense. Sb's are nice but most of these guys aren't even good base stealers. Castro is 16/25 in sb. That's hurt the cubs overall. I guess I go by things that matter on a baseball field like OPS. Lowries is .842. Next closest in the group is Desmond at .788 (big thanks to coors field the last 4 games to even get him close) Lowrie has easily been the best player of these 5 so far. Not close.
    edited June 2012
    I mean come on, as you mentioned(vs.LH), All Star material being benched today for Bixler? Maholm ain't exactly Lefty Carlton.
    edited June 2012
    I mean come on, as you mentioned(vs.LH), All Star material being benched today for Bixler? Maholm ain't exactly Lefty Carlton.

No and hes a career .303 hitter with a .872 OPS as a RH hitter in his career. All the more baffling to me that Houston would sit him recently against LHP when the biggest factors in his struggles this year vs leftys is a .217 BABIP
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Not much of a chance of them keeping a 19million dollar per yr. fat ass aging DH. They might also add JLowrie to the move list.

If they do trade him to the Dodgers, will add on to my SFO future bet...he is a fat ass, batting from three hole twice with men in scoring position and all he can muster is a weak grounder back to the pitcher, and a double play next time up vs. a struggling Garza...bring in the youth, to add to this bright young squad the stro's are developing.
    edited July 2012
    Lee staying in Houston -- for now: The Astros and Dodgers agreed to a deal Saturday that would send outfielder Carlos Lee from Houston to Los Angeles, however Lee decided Sunday not to waive his no-trade clause, leading Los Angeles to pull out of the deal, according to the Houston Chronicle. Lee finished Sunday’s game with the Astros going 1 for 4 with a strikeout, and it appears he will remain with the team for the time being, though the Astros will likely continue to explore trade options moving forward.
    (Updated 07/01/2012)

Lee has a limited no-trade clause that includes a list of 14 teams that he cannot be sent to without his approval; unfortunately for the Dodgers, they are one of those teams. The Astros will now shift to finding a new team who is looking to add the aging slugger and his expiring contract. Lee is hitting .285 on the season though his power swing is largely gone, as he has just five home runs and 29 RBI in 63 games. It would be a surprise to see him finish the season with Houston, so this seems like it will be an ongoing saga........cbsspssports
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    Rotoinfo reporting Lee to the Marlins for 3B Matt Dominguez & LHP Rob Rasmussen.
    edited July 2012
    I think he accepted the trade because English is the second language on the Marlins.
    edited July 2012
    I think he accepted the trade because English is the second language on the Marlins.

He didn't have a choice this time. He would have never accepted a trade imo. He was comfortable in Houston.