Betting Talk

Henry Hill article

ContrarianContrarian Banned
edited June 2012 in Sports Betting
Most non-Simmons stuff over at Grantland is decent. Pretty good read here on Henry Hill

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/51368/dying-in-the-shadow-henry-hill-and-the-modern-mob-celebrity

Comments

• CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    why dont u like Simmons?
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Cool article.

Coops, I'm not the biggest Simmons fan, either. But I like him a lot better after this:
    The averages for LeBron's last 10 playoff games (dating back to Game 6's clincher against Indiana): 45.4 minutes, 32.5 points, 10.0 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 1.6 steals, 51.3 percent shooting, 3.1 turnovers. Oh, and he submitted one of the single greatest modern playoff performances ever (Game 6, Boston, while facing just about as much pressure as any basketball player has ever faced in a single game, no less); came through down the stretch of the decisive Game 7; and in last night's semi-must-win-game, he notched typical LeBron numbers (32-8-5), outplayed Durant and got him into foul trouble, made that dagger banker with 85 seconds to play (ridiculous angle, by the way), settled for a game-clinching 3 with 14 seconds left (and missed it — no surprise since he's missed 40 of 53 3s dating back to the Indiana series), got away with a sneaky-smart foul on Durant on the game's biggest play, then drained both free throws with the crowd screaming so loudly that (a) one of my contact lenses almost fell out, (b) I couldn't hear my friend Chen even though he was two feet away from me and (c) Jimmy Goldstein actually moved.

Will LeBron get credit for these things today? I spent the morning writing this column and didn't have time to watch the talking head shows or surf the Internet, so I don't know … although I'm sure there's at least one visible "LeBron almost blew Game 2 with his heroball 3-point miss!" post lurking out there. I can only tell you this: LBJ was the best player on the floor last night. After watching three of his last four games in person, I can safely report the following things:

• You're only allowed to compare him to Durant if the debate is "Who's a better offensive player?" If you're comparing the entirety of their games, it's no contest.

:)
    edited June 2012
    I'm a big Simmons fan, read that earlier, thought of you.
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Coops wrote: »
    I'm a big Simmons fan, read that earlier, thought of you.

haha that's cute, buddy! Thanks!
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Cool article.

Coops, I'm not the biggest Simmons fan, either. But I like him a lot better after this:

:)

stat guy... :)
    edited June 2012
    For u tribe:
    "For three quarters, LeBron James played at the single highest level I have ever seen from him. (Yes, I went to Game 6 of last round's Boston series.) This was the greatest Bird impression ever attempted (and executed), something that could only be called "power point guard." He did whatever he wanted on the low post, crashed the boards, got his teammates involved, made the right play time and time again … it was like watching Bird 2.0, only if Bird was also one of the three best defenders in the league. To repeat: LeBron was playing like a rich man's version of the fifth-best basketball player of all time. I don't care how much you hated "The Decision" — if you can't appreciate what LeBron James is doing right now, you need to start following another sport. It's one of the greatest night-to-night athletic feats we have ever witnessed."
    ala Simmons

the whole article is great actually