Betting Talk

My EURO 2012 pics

metagear89metagear89 Senior Member
edited July 2012 in Sports Betting
Been away from this site for a while. These are my picks.
These are futures and these are the most current on bookmaker as I post this.

Germany to win it all +250
Netherlands to win it all +550

I'm also throwing in Italy at +990 since it is a bargain and they are being overlooked. Solid defense. Chiellini is a rock at the back four. Buffon is a good keeper. Pirlo is a great play maker along with Marchisio . Potent strikers up front in Balotelli, Cassano, Giovinco

Pass on Spain. Good team but overrated in my opinion.

Germany and Holland are the most convincing team and one of them will be in the final.

My record on BT speaks for itself

Comments

• metagear89metagear89 Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    All lines from bookmaker

Italy to advance -115

Italy +170
    edited June 2012
    Future play for June 27

Portugal over Spain +325
    edited June 2012
    Whether I do or don't is none of your concern...
    Contrarian wrote: »
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    metagear89 wrote: »
    Whether I do or don't is none of your concern...

So you still don't make actual bets?
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited June 2012
    Guys, keep it constructive or let it go (deleting posts is tedious).

Jeff - Make a point once (and it would be great if you could do it without being sarcastic/antagonistic, as much as that goes against your nature, I know) and then let it go unless you have constructive follow-up comments/questions. Thanks.

metagear - When you choose to post something on a public forum, it's open for criticism (i.e. anyone who reads it is free to concern themselves with it). You are of course not obligated to respond, but please understand that. Thanks.
  • ContrarianContrarian Banned
    edited June 2012
    Goats wrote: »
    Guys, keep it constructive or let it go (deleting posts is tedious).

As you and Ed, et al previously mentioned to the guy, his "record" (which he claims speaks for itself) is kind of useless if he doesn't consider the lines of a match. So when he comes popping in proclaiming that it speaks for itself, I think it is only fair that we ask if he still follows the same methods, no? But consider the matter dropped.

Goats wrote: »
    (and it would be great if you could do it without being sarcastic/antagonistic, as much as that goes against your nature, I know)

"Do as I say, not as I do" much?
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited June 2012
    As you and Ed, et al previously mentioned to the guy, his "record" (which he claims speaks for itself) is kind of useless if he doesn't consider the lines of a match. So when he comes popping in proclaiming that it speaks for itself, I think it is only fair that we ask if he still follows the same methods, no? But consider the matter dropped.

Yes, it's 100% fair IMO, that's why I told him to expect criticism if he chooses to post on a forum. My comment about keeping it constructive stemmed more from Jeff's "so you don't make actual bets?" question. I should have been clearer.
    "Do as I say, not as I do" much?

The occasional use of sarcasm and being known for constantly being sarcastic to an antagonistic end are two different things. I have no problem with occasional sarcasm, I'm fairly sarcastic in real life, just usually for the sake of humor, not antagonism. Surely you realize the reputation you guys have and understand why I (and other mods) have to repeatedly delete and/or ask you to play nice. Past experience has taught me that's it's best to nip these threads in the bud before they spiral out of control.

Seriously, let's move on.
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    FWIW, that Italy pick is looking pretty damn good right now for the number

"I'm also throwing in Italy at +990 since it is a bargain and they are being overlooked. Solid defense. Chiellini is a rock at the back four. Buffon is a good keeper. Pirlo is a great play maker along with Marchisio . Potent strikers up front in Balotelli, Cassano, Giovinco"

That played out to the tee vs. England yesterday 0-0 in reg. (solid D) and the keeper making a key stop to ensure the win...http://sports.yahoo.com/news/italy-beats-england-penalties-euro-213239736--sow.html;_ylt=AlB2kwPIjPfvW1gCFcZcHog5nYcB

Say what you want but the guy really seems to know the sport, so thanks for the pre event post.

from a constructive point to you Metagear99, I think it would have been better said that it is ok not to look at the line initially to keep from prejudicing the mind (from where you would make the line) based on your numbers and then look to see if you think there is +EV with the posted numbers, I believe that would make a lot more sense to everyone
  • The MavenThe Maven Junior Member
    edited June 2012

My apologies in advance to Goats but this 2010 thread was one of the most entertaining threads I have read on this forum, almost like something out of a Seinfeld episode. As I do not post plays here since I am basically a horse player, my opinion is fairly "weightless" but I greatly appreciate the entertainment value I find here and enjoy the privilege of tossing in an occasional comment.
  • CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Any plays for the semi finals?
  • TeaserPlayerTeaserPlayer Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Not much of a profit potential, but taking both Spain +165 and Germany +155 to win Euro 2012. I know it is chalkie but figuring at least one make it to the final
    edited June 2012
    I see what you're saying and I do believe some people are misinterpreting what I said. Most of these guys don't follow soccer and wager on multiple sports. I only wager on soccer. For example, my earlier quote wouldn't apply to a game such as if New Zealand were to play Germany because obviously NZ is a shitty team and would be a huge underdog and you would be looking at something like -500 for Germany to win.
    TheReb wrote: »
    from a constructive point to you Metagear99, I think it would have been better said that it is ok not to look at the line initially to keep from prejudicing the mind (from where you would make the line) based on your numbers and then look to see if you think there is +EV with the posted numbers, I believe that would make a lot more sense to everyone
    edited June 2012
    Spain is overrated in my opinion. Their reputation precedes them ever since their Euro 2008 win and that is why they are overvalued.
    Too many teams show them too much respect. Their constant 1-0 win is indicative of this. They get a goal, sit back and wait out the match.
    Look at the French team that they beat. France simply showed them too much respect and should have brought the game to them.
    Iker Casillas has to be one of the most overrated keepers in the game. He's average at best. Spain's back four is average as well. Carles Puyol is not in this tournament. A guy like Pique couldn't even get a starting position at Manchester United while he was playing for them. That should tell you something. He was playing at lowly Real Zaragoza just a couple of seasons ago.

Portugal can win the match if they don't show Spain too much respect. Spain narrowly beat them in the 2010 WC by a 1-0 margin. That was without Nani playing for Portugal. He will be in the match and he and Ronaldo will be the key to Portugal winning. Ronaldo now has newfound confidence after scoring in Portugal's last two games and he can build on that momentum. He also plays at Real Madrid with some of the Spanish players and has their number.
  • rmbullisrmbullis Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Nice read meta!! I took portugal +.5 to the bank. Any feel on tomorrow's match?
    edited July 2012
    Good thing I didn't see this before the game started. I honestly thought Germany would win the game because Italy failed to convert the many chances they had in their game against England

With that being said, I'm rooting for Italy in today's final. Spain's triangle passing game is getting old and boring.
    rmbullis wrote: »
    Nice read meta!! I took portugal +.5 to the bank. Any feel on tomorrow's match?
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited July 2012
    "With that being said, I'm rooting for Italy in today's final. Spain's triangle passing game is getting old and boring."

That's what your heart is saying, but what is your head telling you...point being, their technique may be boring but is it effective?

On a side note, I think the way this EURO has played out is ironic compared to what is going on politically/economically within the Eurozone.. ie., Greece having faced (losing to) Germany, then Italy facing Germany and winning simultaneously while Merkel was trying to keep a hard stance vs. Monti in the Summit meetings thursday ...how ironic is it that both countries in the finals are the two that are in critical condition with the most impact on the Eurozone currently...just seems like the parallels are uncanny.

Back to the game, I like your original (excellent) assessment on Italy.....

"I'm also throwing in Italy at +990 since it is a bargain and they are being overlooked. Solid defense. Chiellini is a rock at the back four. Buffon is a good keeper. Pirlo is a great play maker along with Marchisio . Potent strikers up front in Balotelli, Cassano, Giovinco"

again this has played out to the tee, let's see if they can finish the job. GL today and enjoy the game!