Betting Talk

Pat Summit....Medal of Freedom???????

ggm1976ggm1976 Senior Member
edited April 2012 in Sports Betting
Are u f***ING kidding me? For what???????

Comments

• jimmymojimmymo Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    ggm1976 wrote: »
    For what???????

for votes.....
  • ggm1976ggm1976 Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    Hahahahahaha
  • MikeRASMikeRAS Senior Handicapper
    edited April 2012
    Sounds a bit much at first, but the honor is for the following

It recognizes those individuals who have made "an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavors"

Pat Summitt was the face of women's college basketball, how far it came in her time how much she helped move it forward is widely recognized and appreciated by women. It is a sport that didn't even have a womens NCAA tourny until the early 80s and now Obama is filling brackets out on Tv of it.

I gotta be honest I don't know who else has won this award or if it is a stretch but I think most consider her more than just one of the two greatest women's coaches of all time. She has a bit more pull then that with her impact on scholarships/opportunities for women. I'm sure her sad struggle with Alzheimers helps her case as insensitive as that sounds.
  • ggm1976ggm1976 Senior Member
    edited April 2012
    I do feel very bad that she has Alzheimers, I wasn't aware of that. Her impact on scholarships shouldnt earn you the highest civilian honor in this country, my opinion. She got the best girls in the country to play basketball, thus prompting Tennessee to win titles and she just basked in the glory. Lots of women have served this country in ways more important than being dominant in a sport that didn't jump start till now, and it wasn't cause of pat summit. She was an arrogant individual, who was never happy when u looked at her, had problems in her personal life for same reasons. If we give her an award for what she did at school and athletics, what about Joe PA? I know people will probably disagree with me on somebthings here, but I think some things need to be put in perspective in this country....