Betting Talk

weather update for PSU/Ala

BookbrakerBookbraker Senior Member
edited September 2011 in Sports Betting
I live in the area it has rained sunday night, Monday, tuesday, today into tomorrow. 7 inches of rain has already fallen with more coming from lee stalled out over central pa. The ground was already saturated with heavy rain from Irene. I already rexpected a smash mouth type game. Just a heads no way it is even somewhat dry saturday.

Comments

• lakers22lakers22 Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    My question is, does rain really effect the play calling like it used to 5-10 years ago...it seems like the fields are so well taken care of and drainage is well done that it doesn't appear to me, that in watching games under wet conditions that it really effects the play calling..Qb's and wr's wear gloves made for rainy conditions that seems to make the ball just as grippy as under dry conditions..

I know that I'm comparing the nfl to college but last year i went to the monday night game in new york when the jets played minnesota..it was a terrential downpour for at least 40 minutes of the game and both teams were slinging the ball all over the field..i think windy conditions make it more difficult than rain..

just my 2 cents..thanks for the infor book..
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Rain between now and Saturday morning will have no impact. The tarp is on the field and with the crown, it all drains right off the tarp. With a 3:30 kick, the tarp doesn't need to come off until about 12:30 on Saturday, so I wouldn't let it impact your play.
  • BookbrakerBookbraker Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    Tommy, how well will the tarps work if they are submerged? I understand the slight crown yes. Close to ten inches in five days maybe more? Has central pa in the fall ever gotten this much rain in a 10 day period? Over 15 inches total? I don't recall, but I'm only 34 and work outside. A tarp will help but how much really? I'm not a grounds crew employee. I only own a landscaping company so I'm probably am not an expert. Thanks for clearing it up for me Tommy.
    edited September 2011
    Bookbraker wrote: »
    Tommy, how well will the tarps work if they are submerged? I understand the slight crown yes. Close to ten inches in five days maybe more? Has central pa in the fall ever gotten this much rain in a 10 day period? Over 15 inches total? I don't recall, but I'm only 34 and work outside. A tarp will help but how much really? I'm not a grounds crew employee. I only own a landscaping company so I'm probably am not an expert. Thanks for clearing it up for me Tommy.

The tarps run off straight into drains on either sideline. The irregation system there is second to none, so it really should have no impact at all unless it actually rains during the game. I've been to games where it's rained for 24 hours straight up until they take the tarp off, and the field is as dry as a bone when that thing comes off. As far as the fans, this will have a big impact as >50% of the parking will most likely be unusable.
    edited September 2011
    FWIW, Jim Cantore is in Wilkes Barre, Pa. so its bad. State college got heavy, heavy rain, but more fell, falling slightly east. Tommy, are you going to the game? Lots of roads closed in PA. Parts of interstate 80 and 81.
    edited September 2011
    Tommy, are you going to the game? Lots of roads closed in PA. Parts of interstate 80 and 81.
    Yea, I work them for Athletics so I don't really have a choice. 322 is closed which screws me, so I was going to go NE Extension to 80 until they closed 80. Now, I'm looking at the turnpike to 99 which takes me about an hour and a half out of my way, but it's the only good option right now.
  • hornhorn Super Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Tommy and Bryan, I may e-mail you and or call you guys tomorrow if I can't figure out the best route of how to get to College Station. I thought I was staying in harrisburg but was just told we are staying in Lewisburg or something like that...
    edited September 2011
    horn wrote: »
    Tommy and Bryan, I may e-mail you and or call you guys tomorrow if I can't figure out the best route of how to get to College Station. I thought I was staying in harrisburg but was just told we are staying in Lewisburg or something like that...

If you're in Lewisburg, you'll be fine to get from there to State College (Lewisburg is the sticks, but it's home to NCAA "bracket buster" Bucknell University) . It's getting from wherever you're coming from to there that will be your issue. If you need traffic tips, shoot me an e-mail (I pm'd you my new e-mail address), or you can check the PSU Scout or Rivals boards (I've learned about some PA backroads that I never knew existed, never seen so many people talking traffic and directions two days before a big game). Good luck getting out there, it's certainly an unusual weekend.
    edited September 2011
    We are flying into Baltimore so I can get a feel for where the greatest television series in history, The Wire, was filmed and then driving up from there. I'll take a look at those resources, thanks. Should be a fun game.
    edited September 2011
    We are flying into Baltimore so I can get a feel for where the greatest television series in history, The Wire, was filmed and then driving up from there. I'll take a look at those resources, thanks. Should be a fun game.

The scholar that you are, I was expecting an Edgar Allan Poe reference.

:)
    edited September 2011
    TommyL wrote: »
    The scholar that you are, I was expecting an Edgar Allan Poe reference.

:)

I wish I could write as mysterious as a nittany lion. :)
  • utixutix Banned
    edited September 2011
    I only own a landscaping company so I'm probably am not an expert. Thanks for clearing it up for me Tommy.

So awesome. I love you sir
    edited September 2011
    over 200 state roads are closed in PA horn. Tough to go anywhere in PA really. GL!
    edited September 2011
    That's crazy. I was in Pittsburgh on Wednesday and everything was fine there
  • CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited September 2011

I liked u before for winning me money last yr in college, but now that ur a Wire fan u moved up 10 levels. Best show ever made, hands down. I would give a kidney for that show to return for 1 more season. Such a shame it had to end.
  • utixutix Banned
    edited September 2011
    That's crazy. I was in Pittsburgh on Wednesday and everything was fine there

You might want to go back and take another look. Last time I was in Pittsburgh the last thing that came to my mind was "everything is fine here"
    edited September 2011
    TommyL wrote: »
    If you're in Lewisburg, you'll be fine to get from there to State College (Lewisburg is the sticks, but it's home to NCAA "bracket buster" Bucknell University) . It's getting from wherever you're coming from to there that will be your issue. If you need traffic tips, shoot me an e-mail (I pm'd you my new e-mail address), or you can check the PSU Scout or Rivals boards (I've learned about some PA backroads that I never knew existed, never seen so many people talking traffic and directions two days before a big game). Good luck getting out there, it's certainly an unusual weekend.

FACT....Lewisburg isn't in the sticks Tommy. It is on the border of the Susquehanna river. It was a once in a lifetime flood thursday. It is underwater. It is worse in most spots than 1972. I hope Horn didn't listen to your advise.
  • sharpone29sharpone29 Senior Member
    edited September 2011
    upstate new york and pa are wiped out! travel is going to be a bitch!
  • SellMyMonkeySellMyMonkey Junior Member
    edited September 2011
    I live 10 mins from Beaver Stadium and we did not get anywhere near the rain that Eastern PA did this week.
    Field conditions should not be an issue to start the game.
    Although some of the larger RVs from Alabama were getting stuck in the parking lot LOL