Betting Talk

Fantasy Keeper and Draft Strategy Discussion..

BIGtimerDCBIGtimerDC Senior Member
edited August 2011 in Sports Betting
I'm looking for any insight on the following guys and playing in a 12 team non-ppr league...

Marshawn Lynch and his role in Seattle this year. One big epic TD run, but was an epic disappointment for the regular season, fantasy wise.. I could keep him in the 7th rd.

Malcolm Floyd and his role aside Vincent Jackson. Man was hoping somehow this guy ended up going elsewhere.. like Stl with Bradford although the Chargers will chuck it around a ton again this year. VJax seems like Philip's guy though. I could get Floyd in the 9th round which is pretty good value.

Jonathon Stewart I can keep possibly in the 7th round. Another guy who is under the shadow of Williams there... the ever so injury prone Deangelo Williams I might add.

Stevie Johnson. Playmaker who was actually my #1 WR (on my injury ravaged team) could be due for a big year with Lee Evans gone. Bills will be slinging in it around and I think they are gonna surprise some people this year...

_________

Asides from keepers this year wanted to talk draft strategy that you guys prefer. I typically go for the QBs who will be below the top tier and can be had late. Joe Flacco was my guy last year and Matt Schaub before. Didn't work out great last year went more with QB by committee so I was thinking of changing it up and reaching, as everyone else does, for a stud QB. Then again there are just so many damn young guns like Freeman, Ryan, Stafford, Flacco, Kolb, Bradford, Fitzpatrick... who granted not sure I would trust all those guys as an every week starter but a combination of any of those two late in the 8-11 rounds could be very productive. Rather than taking a qb early and get one of those top second tier WRs.

My other keeper is Mike Williams in the 15th round love him and Freeman. Also just keep hearing great things about Julio Jones in ATL so with him and Roddy... Ryan could be in for a big year.

Thoughts much appreciated!

Been a while since I was on the board. CAN'T WAIT FOR FOOTBALL SEASON TO START!!

Comments

• IndianaPeteIndianaPete Member
    edited August 2011
    Hey, not being mean, but why don't you offer this question up at a FFL-related site? This is where you are going to find other FFL fanatics who are more likely to provide you with an intelligent answer -- no offense to anyone here, but its the same as asking an FFL geek to provide an opinion on a PS wager.

One site that has helped me out tremendously over the years is www.footballguys.com. They have a free message board forum with great participation from all types of FFL players from sharks to guppies. A question like yours should be directed to the "The Assistant Coach" board. Make sure you include some of the key components like your roster requirements and scoring system. Overall, the FBG site has a ton of outstanding FFL information that will help make you a better FFL owner...not all the information is free, but the cost to become a member is minimal and definitely worth every penny.

Good luck this season!!
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited August 2011
    I think it's a mistake to go into a draft saying "I'm going to wait for a QB, or any other position like that". Let the draft come to you. If one of the top QBs fall to you early, take him. If everyone else is overvaluing QBs and you're fine with the next tier, wait on them.

I've got my first draft on Sunday and I don't feel even remotely ready.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited August 2011
    TommyL wrote: »
    I think it's a mistake to go into a draft saying "I'm going to wait for a QB, or any other position like that". Let the draft come to you. If one of the top QBs fall to you early, take him. If everyone else is overvaluing QBs and you're fine with the next tier, wait on them.

Agree 100%. It's fine to have a general game plan going in, but how the draft plays out should play a bigger role in what you end up doing.
    TommyL wrote: »
    I've got my first draft on Sunday and I don't feel even remotely ready.

I'd feel the same way. Fortunately, both of my drafts aren't until September 4th this year, so there should be fewer question marks by then.

Good luck!
  • brmapesbrmapes Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    I'm assuming the top 7 QB's are being kept (Vick, Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Rivers, Romo, Brees) are all being kept, my strategy this year is making sure I have one of those especially if I can get Vick or Rodgers in the late 1st round

If you're going with the package QB's strategy I would make sure I get one steady guy (Eli, Ryan) and pair him with one upside guy (Stafford, Bradford) and see what happens

As for the keepers, I'm always looking for value if you're going for the have to give up the round I keep the player in, Stewart is going early 6th in ADP while Lynch is going late 7th, makes Stewart the obvious choice with him to where you could think you could get Lynch back

Same thing with Floyd, no value there for you as he's currently going around pick 100 or end of the 10th round where you'd have to lose your 9th round pick for him, you don't say where you'd have to keep Stevie Johnson, but based on him basically being a FA pickup last year in many leagues and he's a 6th round pick this year I'd say he's 10 times the value Floyd is for you, I think Johnson could grow more and Evans like you said is gone
  • BIGtimerDCBIGtimerDC Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    Football guys know football thats why I come here. Fantasy nerds get caught up in preseason rankings and all the other bullshit that comes with fantasy football news/media coverage. If I wanted to know what one of them espn fools thought I'd go read their column.. but I do appreciate the advice on the site and maybe check it out...

I will definitely let the draft play out. Learned that over the years but in my experience the QBs tend to be hot off the press in this league so I tend to wait it out...

I keep Johnson in the 7th as FA pickup. After looking at some ADP listings looks like its between Johnson and Lynch with Johnson I think having the much better situation going into the season. Should be the go to guy in a dynamic offense whereas Lynch could very well be in for another not the feature back kind of year. I just like Stevie Johnson..

Thanks for the input.