Betting Talk

Andrew Luck returning to Stanford..

JB531JB531 Senior Member
edited January 2011 in Sports Betting
leaving at least 50 million guaranteed to return is shocking to me. Anyone know anything about the insurance policies these guys can get if something were to happen to him?

Comments

• hornhorn Super Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Hope it work out for him, but wow...
  • LawboyLawboy Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    He can get insurance, and he can get help paying for it. It is the only exception to "extra benefits." He can't use an agent to pay for it, but he or his family can get assistance. I don't know the underwriting cost, but it won't be cheap. He should leave and take the money. Does he think he's going to win a national championship with a new coach? No way. You go to college to get a job, and if someone told me my second year of law school that he had a job for me for $50 million for three years and I didn't need to finish shcool, I'm there. I don't know why top picks go back to school. 4th rounders, yes, but the number one pick in the draft, no way.
  • footballpixfootballpix Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    His family can afford it, his dad was an NFL QB and now is AD at West Virginia. The policy is well within their budget. This also tells me that Harbaugh may be likely to stay at Stanford now.
  • EscootEscoot Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    The policy only really applies if he gets his arm severed off in say a freak gasoline fire fight... People make a big deal about a policy, but it really takes an extreme circumstance for that to come into play.

Luck could conceivably get hurt this season in college, end up with a pretty "damaged" shoulder or arm, and free-fall in the NFL draft the year after next (although unlikely as we see with Bradford and Luck's immense value already). Although his injury costs him millions of dollars potentially, he still wouldn't recover anything from his policy, assuming his surgery is successful, even if that injury might ultimately shorten his long-term career.
  • kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    His family is well off, and he is a smart kid the money will come. Just like Jake Locker who got a 350,000 signing bonus for the Angels was a huge reason he went back to school. How great would college life be with 350,000 in the bank.

Seems pretty likely Harbaugh comes back as well.
  • JB531JB531 Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Reminds me of matt leinart who was a #1 lock, comes back and goes #10 in the next draft..
  • kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Looks like Gabbert just hit the lottery not that he wasnt going to make 30 million already.
  • SunBelterSunBelter Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    His family can afford it, his dad was an NFL QB and now is AD at West Virginia. The policy is well within their budget. This also tells me that Harbaugh may be likely to stay at Stanford now.

I dont think there is any chance that Harbaugh returns. He is Miami or SF bound. Miami offering him 7 million. Wow.
  • HowardBealHowardBeal Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    If you listened to Luck speak, the extra year of classes will do him good.....I thought it was stucross for a second.....
  • BayOceanBayOcean Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Howard:
    Coming to his defense-- a young kid who is thrust into the limelite and cameras and microphones thrust into your face- would make anyone nervous. Think he handled himself very well from what I saw. Kinda disagree with your assesment. Have a nice day.
  • nightlife32nightlife32 Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Lockout looming may also play a part
  • hotbustophotbustop Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    For those that haven't been to Stanford, it is absolutely gorgeous out there. A beaultiful place to go to school and live. I can see why he would come back for another year. Family is well off money isn't everything for them. As for the comparisons to Leinert this guy is way better. More athletic, better arm, it sucks for Carolina though!
  • stucrossstucross Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Hey howie that was funny. But athletes don't gome out early at Stanford. Look a Tiger he could have gone Pro early but he stayed in school. Money is not everything when u are ready have it.
  • tschifanotschifano Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    Tell him call Brian Brohm from louisville passed after Orange Bowl win, lost coach late pick and back up at Buffalo TAKE THE $$$
  • kmherring3kmherring3 Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    As a panthers fan it sucks. My question is this though. If there is a lockout it will occur before the draft, so will they suspend the draft. Its something I'm unfamiliar with and i haven't heard anyone on the sports channels mention it. Can anyone explain? Thanks.
  • NEJimNEJim Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    I am glad Cardinal was a CASH $$ cow for me this year and (sbject to the lines) I will be on them in 2011
  • hornhorn Super Moderator
    edited January 2011
    HowardBeal wrote: »
    If you listened to Luck speak, the extra year of classes will do him good.....I thought it was stucross for a second.....

Kinda reminded me of this guy first time I heard his voice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrwDFgEeFCE
  • dsgatordsgator Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    I'm a Carolina Panther fan and i was excited to get Luck. Guess that's not happening i still got my fingers crossed that he will come out. You know what i can see happening? I can see Cam Newton having a great national championship game and hit stock jumping big time. I can see a ton of hype coming in on Cam Newton in the next month as a draft pick and i could see his stock jumping so high that he could be taken #1 overall. This is the same exact thing that happened with Jamarcus Russell 4 years back. Same exact thing he Jamarcus got hot @ the end of the season and then had a great bowl game against Notre Dame and all that hype lead him to the number 1 pick. As a panther fan we have to draft the best QB on the board, i don't care if it's Blaine Gabbert we have to draft a QB with this pick. Clausen and whoever we take #1 at QB can battle it out and now a days in the NFL you have 2 have 2 solid qb's on your roster!
  • CoolsCools Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    BayOcean wrote: »
    Howard:
    Coming to his defense-- a young kid who is thrust into the limelite and cameras and microphones thrust into your face- would make anyone nervous. Think he handled himself very well from what I saw. Kinda disagree with your assesment. Have a nice day.

I speak to Andrew just about every week. He stumbles over his words often. He's just kind of a goofy talking kid with a goofy look. A lot like Eli Manning. But absolutely one of the nicest people you will ever meet. I honestly don't think he curses ever.

Humble as can be too. Sometimes I wonder if he has the killer instinct and ego to win big games at the next level.
  • CoolsCools Senior Member
    edited January 2011
    And to clarify "leaving $50 million"...there could be a rookie wage scale in place by this year's draft, that is the plan, they just have to finalize it.

And by "goofy" I don't mean stupid. Andrew is a high intellect kid, just like all the athletes at Stanford. That is one school that doesn't bend academic admission qualifications.