Betting Talk

how much of a difference a point makes percentage wise

turtle*turtle* Member
edited October 2010 in Sports Betting
I read a couple places that in order for us the sports betters to break even we need to win 52% of the time.

Just wondering now i have a couple of co-workers that want to makes bets with me. They normally go care for the spread as long they make sense. Obviously the increase/decrease in point matters but sometimes it doesn't say like a 4.5 spread vs a 5.5, those aren't exactly deal breakers but it does increase/decrease the odds a bit.

like tonights MNF game NE VS MIA is pretty much a PICK. I talked a guy into giving me MIA +1.5, the line is even so its a fair game. But now that i have +1.5 which really shouldn't matter for the most part, since the winner SHOULD most likely win outright. Just curious how much of a favorite i am with that +1.5. Is there a simple forumla for this?

for the past 3 weeks i've been about 60/40 in wins, my adjusted spreads like i would be able to make a 6.5 dog into a 9.5 dog, obviously is a key here since games are often won by 3's and 7's

Comments

• speculatorspeculator Senior Member
    edited October 2010
    53.1% win rate according to Sharp Sports Betting by Stanford Wong in Chapter 16 NFL Teasers. If you want more in-depth information, I suggest that you buy the book. If you get 2 points, your win rate would become 55.8%.....

If you want to buy the book, I suggest that you buy from Pai Yee Press, they have the 2009 Edition.
  • kopman52kopman52 Senior Member
    edited October 2010
    What's the difference in the 2009 Edition and the earlier one?
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited October 2010
    kopman52 wrote: »
    What's the difference in the 2009 Edition and the earlier one?

Some of the data tables were updated to include the years since the first edition. The chapter on online betting was also revised to more accurately reflect the changes that took place since the first edition (i.e. the loss of NETeller for U.S. residents). There may have been a few other revisions I'm not remembering, but most importantly...

...the 2nd edition has a short quote from ME! :laugh:
  • turtle*turtle* Member
    edited October 2010
    speculator wrote: »
    If you get 2 points, your win rate would become 55.8%.....

If you want to buy the book, I suggest that you buy from Pai Yee Press, they have the 2009 Edition.

Thanks, will look into the book. is the +2 points a 55.8% reguardless of the the current line. IE its 55.8% winning if i have a line of +7.5 ( actual line is +5.5) compared to +9.5 (+7.5 actual line)

Its been about 11 bets so far and my extra points hasn't remotely come into play .