Betting Talk

Redskin Fans Out There?

BIGtimerDCBIGtimerDC Senior Member
edited September 2010 in Sports Betting
Trying to get some insight into the Washington RB situation and how you think it will play out over the season... In a Fantasy League I've been high on Portis preseason but doesn't look too promising there for him. Looks like they're going to split time with Ryan Torain or even Keilan Williams. Even read an article in the Wash Post saying they planned to use Torain on first and second down plays...

I'm thinking that the time to get rid of Portis is now, while I can still get some value for him. I'm desperate for QBs and nothing on the waiver wire besides Alex Smith and David Garrard. Just picked up Matt Stafford but who knows how he'll be when he gets back. I have a pending trade offer for Kyle Orton who has been awesome so far and could really be a big sleeper QB this year.

I know it doesnt sound like a great trade but I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger.

Comments

• ShacroShacro Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    Portis played well in the first half but was abandoned in the second. The issue is debatable as to why Portis was used more sparingly after halftime. Portis and Shanahan have claimed that portis' right wrist was giving him fits and effecting his ball security. Others believe that shanahan became upset when portis fell down once surrounded by defenders after a breakoff run.

Although the two theories could be related, many said that shanahan was not pleased with Portis on that specific run.

As for Torain, he's Shanahans guy. Brought here to maybe do more than just first and second down.

I love CP but its probably best to ship him now.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited September 2010
    As a fellow Portis owner, I feel your pain. He's not even one of my top RB's, but I expected him to be a solid backup. After my draft, I was sitting there with Turner, Greene, Deangelo Williams, Bradshaw, and Portis, thinking what a kick-ass group that was. Then I added Brandon Jackson after Grant went down. Now I have Turner, Bradshaw... and the all-underperformer squad, lol.
  • BIGtimerDCBIGtimerDC Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    Shacro wrote: »
    I love CP but its probably best to ship him now.

I guess the question at hand is what's fair value for him... Looking to try and get a QB either Orton or Matt Ryan. If Portis makes a reemergence then this will be a bad trade but I could look like a genius after a few weeks by trading him and scooping up Torain.
  • AznInvasionAznInvasion Junior Member
    edited September 2010
    I'd jump ship. Skins offensive line is still a work in progress so even a 100% healthy Portis isn't going to return to form. He's got A LOT of tread of on the tires and he's already springing leaks to start 2010. I'd avoid this backfield as Shanny is notorious for the RB bait and switch.

Kyle Orton has a fairly soft schedule and looks to have a firm grasp of the offense in year 2. If Demaryius or Lloyd can fill the big play void of Brandon Marshall I expect 4000+ and 20+ tds for Orton.

PULL THE TRIGGER!!!
    edited September 2010
    BIGtimerDC wrote: »
    I guess the question at hand is what's fair value for him... Looking to try and get a QB either Orton or Matt Ryan. If Portis makes a reemergence then this will be a bad trade but I could look like a genius after a few weeks by trading him and scooping up Torain.

Without knowing the rest of your team, I'd trade Portis for Orton in a heartbeat. I'd take Ryan too, but Orton is throwing a ton.
  • ShacroShacro Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    As a die hard Redskin fan and huge CP supporter, I'd trade him for either QB.
  • JPesoJPeso Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    HUGE Skins fan, I'm surprised you can still move him now. CP, one of my all-time faves, has NOTHING left. Torain will lead the way!
    edited September 2010
    JPeso wrote: »
    HUGE Skins fan, I'm surprised you can still move him now. CP, one of my all-time faves, has NOTHING left. Torain will lead the way!

You consider him completely worthless fantasy-wise at this point?
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited September 2010
    I'm a Skins fan. I personally think that his struggles this season thusfar have been much more due to the offensive line rather than Portis himself. He hasn't had any holes to run through. When he has, he's done ok. However, Kyle Shanahan clearly is looking to throw the ball first and is abandoning the run way too early.

I was somewhat high on the Skins o-line coming into this season. But it looks like it will still take them some time to gel, and losing Trent Williams is a big blow as Heyer just isn't good enough to start at LT and Williams needs the reps. If Portis and the o-line can stay healthy, then I think it would be unwise to move him now as his value is about as low as it will get. I could still see him rebounding in the coming weeks when they realize that they need to be balanced to win.

I guess there is also the risk of him not seeing all the reps that he should. Seeing him sit on the bench on Sunday was inexplicable considering how good he looked when he was in there.
    edited September 2010
    TommyL wrote: »
    I'm a Skins fan. I personally think that his struggles this season thusfar have been much more due to the offensive line rather than Portis himself. He hasn't had any holes to run through. When he has, he's done ok. However, Kyle Shanahan clearly is looking to throw the ball first and is abandoning the run way too early.

I was somewhat high on the Skins o-line coming into this season. But it looks like it will still take them some time to gel, and losing Trent Williams is a big blow as Heyer just isn't good enough to start at LT and Williams needs the reps. If Portis and the o-line can stay healthy, then I think it would be unwise to move him now as his value is about as low as it will get. I could still see him rebounding in the coming weeks when they realize that they need to be balanced to win.

I guess there is also the risk of him not seeing all the reps that he should. Seeing him sit on the bench on Sunday was inexplicable considering how good he looked when he was in there.

I'm on the same page with you. I was able to get Orton though who is looking like a top 10 qb. The rest of my starting roster is real solid once Ryan Mathews gets healthy and Andre Johnson can stay healthy. I've got Malcolm Floyd playing in the flex so CP was essentially on my bench. Risk/reward of keeping him is close but not looking great in the long run right now so I pulled the trigger. Also like Denvers schedule especially late in the season..
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for all the input guys well see in a few weeks how this trade pans out..