Betting Talk

Who else think LeBron James is getting treated unfairly

IcemanIceman Senior Member
edited July 2010 in Sports Betting
Maybe I am missing some parts of th story, I don't know as I haven't followed it that closely but from what I have seen/heard I think LeBron is getting way too much hatred for his decision.

Never have I seen a free agent getting ripped more then he has been. I am not sure I have ever seen anything like this before so I don't get it at all. He played very well in Cleveland and honored his contract, he never asked to be traded or left early and when it was over he chose, like all free agents are allowed to do and go somewhere else and play.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of his (unless I have a bet on him for that night, LOL) and I do think that whole 1 hour special thing was stupid but from what I understand the money went to charity so I guess that is okay.

Just not sure what I am missing here with what he did that was so wrong. It happens all the time in sports and with free agency, he won't be the last superstar to leave his team. I mean eveyone knew this day was possibily coming in the summer of 2010. I am not saying upset fans shouldn't be hurt but he has a right to pack up and move and live anywhere in the country and he chose that place to be Miami. Who knows why but obviously that was what is best for him and his family.

I know the whole loyalty thing is an issue for some but eveyone knows that in this business guys are traded everyday for whatever reasons so I don't buy that line of thinking either. Its a business plain and simple and you can't criticize LeBron for the rules that have been in place and used for years by hundreds of thousands of athletes.

Comments

• IcemanIceman Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    Maybe it's more just Cleveland fans screaming. You have every right to be hurt I understand that but burning his jersey, etc... Seems a little overboard for a guy who gave you so many great memories. Just my opinion on that.

Believe me I know your pain as I am a lifelong Detroit Lions fan and was crushed when Barry Sanders left us in the prime of his career and a year or so away from getting some much needed positive national media for Detroit.
  • BetATLBetATL Super Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Completely Agree!
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited July 2010
    I agree completely with you. Everything about this was over the top, however there is a lot about sports these days that's over the top. I really disagree with those calling him a coward for leaving or saying that a move like this shows his true colors. I think staying in Cleveland would have been the easy decision, everyone would have loved him there and he probably would have eventually have been surrounded by enough to win a title. I think he's really taking a chance going to Miami, as it was obvious that he'd take huge heat for it and he had to know that many would point to him and say that he couldn't ever win a title by himself. At the end of the day, he made a business decision and/or a personal decision and felt that he'd rather live/work in Miami than in Cleveland.
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    I think it's the way he chose to make his announcement more than him leaving. An hour long special on ESPN is ridiculous.

I don't blame him at all for leaving cleveland. 25 years old, more money than he can ever spend and playing in Miami with Wade and Bosh. He just went about doing it completely wrong.
  • BetATLBetATL Super Moderator
    edited July 2010
    I honestly don't think LeBron went to ESPN execs first and said "Hey can I have an hour long special to make my announcement?"

I think it was more the other way around with ESPN capitalizing off the LBJ mania. They probably came to him or his ppl and said would you do an hour long special to announce your decision and you'll make a ton off sponsorships and advertising. LBJ then said sure but let's get all proceeds to the "Boys and Girls Clubs" and hell why not do it at the "Boys and Girls Club."
  • HowardBealHowardBeal Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    I cant blame him for leaving Cleveland, but the way he did things was deserving of allthe criticism he gets.....to string the organization (which has made all the moves he asked them to) along under the pretense that he was still considering staying there, to use a 1 hour special to help his fledgling marketing company, to pander for attention when the decision was already made, all could have and should have been done differently......as for the decision, wanting to play second banana isnt the decision someone who wants to be the greatest ever would do, but he doesnt want to be the greatest ever, he wants to win and be with his friends and be a successful businessman and for those reasons Miami was his best choice, but it definitely redefines his basketball legacy........
  • barmeezeebarmeezee Banned
    edited July 2010
    i agree as well.. its his life his choice.. get off his dick.. people arguing how he did it dont know anything... its americans fault becuase they are soo stupid and soo into reality tv and hype and flashy bullshit
  • sharpone29sharpone29 Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    he won't win shit there either! lakers still have a better team!
    edited July 2010
    sharpone29 wrote: »
    lakers still have a better team!

Of course they do today, the Heat currently have 5 players under contract. How they complete the rest of the roster will really determine where they go from here.
  • TotallyTiltTotallyTilt Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    I've followed Lebron and the Cavs for the last 5 years and I think it would have been a big mistake for him to stay there. He needs to do what's best for him and go somewhere where he can win a championship. If there's any blame here, I'd put it on the Cleveland organization. They had seven years or however long to put a team around him and they never did. I've watched over a hundred of their games over the past five years and his supporting cast has been mediocre at best. In fact, I think they were made a lot better by him and without him they might be the worst team in basketball.
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    I've followed Lebron and the Cavs for the last 5 years and I think it would have been a big mistake for him to stay there. He needs to do what's best for him and go somewhere where he can win a championship. If there's any blame here, I'd put it on the Cleveland organization. They had seven years or however long to put a team around him and they never did. I've watched over a hundred of their games over the past five years and his supporting cast has been mediocre at best. In fact, I think they were made a lot better by him and without him they might be the worst team in basketball.

hard to say they would've been the worst team in bball as they won the most games last year but I know what you are saying. he needed those role players for that team to win some many games and they just didn't have enough to bang out the playoffs. we'll see if miami ends up having that type of class???? never know until we see it...
  • jackson21jackson21 Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    Its not the fact that Lebron left Cleveland - it's the way he did it -( if you don't understand that statement then theres' not much more I can say ) and the fact that he quit on his team in the playoffs. If you really watched the games you saw it. The true character of Lebron was brought to light in the last couple of months and many don't like what was exposed.
    edited July 2010
    jackson21 wrote: »
    Its not the fact that Lebron left Cleveland - it's the way he did it -( if you don't understand that statement then theres' not much more I can say ) and the fact that he quit on his team in the playoffs. If you really watched the games you saw it. The true character of Lebron was brought to light in the last couple of months and many don't like what was exposed.

Do you have his stats for the playoffs? I do remember the one game where he wasn't Lebronlike when the Delonte West affair with his mother rumors were circulating.
    edited July 2010
    jackson21 wrote: »

In 11 playoff games, he went 29.1/9.3/7.6 and shot over 50% from the field and 40% from beyond the arc. He certainly had a couple of bad games against the Celtics, but I thought at the time that they did a good job defending Clevelands sets and really took the entire team out of their offense. If a guy can put up almost 30 points per game with an eFG around .55, over 9 boards, and over 7 and a half assists a game while quitting on his team, then I can only imagine what he'll do if he starts trying. I keep hearing about how all of this showed his "true character". What exactly is that? I agree that the whole ESPN show was over the top, but I think you'd find more NBA players that would take that publicity if given the chance than those that would turn it down. Was there any scenario where he could have left Cleveland and everyone would have been cool with it? Or does him going to a different team immediately show he has bad character, can't win a title on his own, doesn't have any loyalty, etc.
  • nightlife32nightlife32 Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    Agreed it was they way he went about it........it is something to be said about loyalty! Not to mention, the whole buddy system is what is wrong in sports. Sorry, but I am old school 80's baby! Why is everyone so friendly? Charles Oakley would have thrown an elbow in someones mouth...Anthony Masons, Xavier McDaniels, Sir Charles',Bill Lambiers, Rodmans,Mad "Vernon Maxwells,Karl "Mailman" Malones, everyone is buddy, buddy don't get me wrong I think LeBron is fine for his decision, but he showed up the NBA. I am just most thankful I lived through the greastest era ever for sports period! And, no matter what LeBron can do 7 yrs in he will never be bigger than the NBA!
    edited July 2010
    This is somewhat related but just another thought that came to mind:

I thought Mike Brown was also a mediocre coach at best. He did so many questionable things over the years and things that made absolutely no sense. For example, intentional fouling in the game they were down 20 or something with 3 minutes left was mind boggling. I realize he was coach of the year but that was largely due to Lebron and I think even management conceded that by firing him this year. I think the firing came a few years too late and I realize they'd never fire him because they were winning so many games but they weren't winning them on his account.
  • awfulorvawfulorv Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    And now I see he's buddy, buddy, with Jesse Jackson who saysa he's being treated like a Run-away slave. More like a Jet away, Plantation owner, if you ask me. Run away slave, that's a good one.
  • Wire2WireWire2Wire Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    I think he handled it all wrong with the TV SHOW...I saw film of him walking around NY on Sunday...he wasn't bothered by anyone since most people passing him didn't seem to know who he was.Maybe he isn"t as big as he thinks...He can regain alot of respect if he tells JESSE JACKSON to GO FUCK OFF...slavery indeed...w2w
  • JPesoJPeso Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    30ni2va.jpg
  • TwoninerTwoniner Member
    edited July 2010
    The main thing is that he put on an hour long TV show to cast a spotlight on himself and tell Cleveland to F off. It's a very easy, and probably worthy, target for people to react to. I think the other part is that a lot of NBA fans want Lebron to step up and be "the next MJ". Joining another superstar in his city, while you are entering the prime of your career seems like a cop out. MJ stayed put and had people join him in Chicago. Kobe has done the same LA. Lebron bailed to another superstar's team hoping to form a mini All Star squad. It's obviously within his rights as a free agent, but probably not the best for his legacy.
  • MikeRASMikeRAS Senior Handicapper
    edited July 2010
    Agree with twowinner about the show being in bad taste. In my opinion leaving was fine and lebron is enough of a distributor that this will work. He is a great passer and was critized early in his career for passing up taking the last shot in the eastern conf finals because he found Donyell marshall wide open in the corner instead who missed.

Bosh, Wade, and James are being somewhat unselfish and taking less money to win and get better players around him. This is great. However, when you do a me first hour long THE DECISION show all about drama and me me me, talk about yourself in the third person, dont tell any of the teams beforehand other than Miami at the last second, its just an embarassment. Leaving cleveland was ok, the way he did it was the worst. The owner is obviously a crackpot, so screw him. but the fans and his hometown who loves and adores him deserved better than that show.

I also think its not fair to expect him to be on a team that is just good enough to compete with the lakers who are very good so that when the team wins and he is the alpha dog he is the man like mj. With kobe pau and solid role players gonna be tough to beat for a while. very formidable other teams in the league too. they are going to have all these players and still are not better than +200 or so to win it all. They still have to overcome some things to win it all here.
  • Cademm23Cademm23 Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    It's the fact that we didn't have a chance to get any good free agents because he took so long to make his decision final. Everyone knows he decided long ago to leave so he could have made things easier by "deciding" earlier. Also, he never even answered calls or texts to Cavs. They didn't find out until watching it with everyone else which was pretty dirty too. That big party in Miami the next day was not all put together in less than 24 hrs. He booked a bunch of hotel rooms in Miami before the day of his decision, so why can't you tell the Cavs team before hand? He promised Cavs fan a Championship which he took his word thinking he would stay until he got one. That's just a little of what I have seen.
  • waddywaddy Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    Lets face it, he never would have won a title on his own. He just isn't skilled enough, i.e last second shots were a joke.
    At the end of a game would you rather have the ball in Lebron's hand or D wade??
    Wade everytime!!
    He won't be able to handle the pressure of being booed off every court he plays on from now on.
    He is not getting treated unfairly, don't make me laugh. I'm a Celtic fan and I could tell he gave up in the playoffs. The owner saying that nothing like that has ever happened is dead on.

And now we had to listen to him get up at the little show they put on and tell us how they would win 7 titles.
  • lebron23lebron23 Banned
    edited July 2010
    Lebron will never be compared to MJ, he had a great team around him and the star couldn't close the deal.. If they win it all, who is going to give a shit?? Come on the nba is a joke. Lebron loves attention and to go on national tv to dis. cleveland and not tell the best owner in sports Mr. Gilbert show me he has no character, boy he looked like a crack head along with true crack head bosh, that boy looks he just got out of pen, ugly as shit.. He needed the second best closer in wade, bosh is overrated.
  • Cademm23Cademm23 Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    You going to change your name Lebron23?
  • Mrtk31Mrtk31 Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    Great thread people! But where did Sanders play after he left the Lions?
    Ctown favorite teams: Cavs, Browns, whomever plays the Ravens, & whomever plays the Cavs. Tribe not in mix at all!