Betting Talk

Yankees should start Lee against Mariners tonight

IcemanIceman Senior Member
edited July 2010 in Sports Betting
If this all goes down as quickly as it can, wouldn't that be great if the Yankees acquired him and turned right around announced him as tonight's starting pitcher?

Pretty sure I have read something like this has happened before in MLB where a guy basically switches dugouts before the game. Just not sure about a pitching situation like this one.

It is his turn tonight and you may as well start getting your money'w worth.

Comments

• PeayManiaPeayMania Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    I'm not a conspiracy theorist but if Lee knows he is probably going to Yankees in the next few days, does it affect his performance tonight?
  • BetDocBetDoc Member
    edited July 2010
    Wouldn't he have to pass a physical?
  • IcemanIceman Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    BetDoc wrote: »
    Wouldn't he have to pass a physical?

For sure but that wouldn't take long.

Almost wonder if both teams may try and come to some agreement with not letting him start till after this series is complete.

Who knows though?
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    Lee has been scratched for tonight, couple books still with the line up, grabbed -108 action at betjam
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited July 2010
    lumpy19 wrote: »
    Lee has been scratched for tonight, couple books still with the line up, grabbed -108 action at betjam

Do you understand that when you specify action it doesn't mean you lock in the -108 price, it means you will be given action at the new opening line?
    edited July 2010
    I understand it as I'm betting NYY -108 for tonight's game, doesn't matter who pitches for either side. That's how it's been done in the past when I've placed action bets.
    edited July 2010
    I understand it as I'm betting NYY -108 for tonight's game, doesn't matter who pitches for either side. That's how it's been done in the past when I've placed action bets.

That's not how action works. BetJM's rules section doesn't explain it, but here's the rule from 5Dimes...

Action: All moneyline wagers have action. However, if there is a pitching change, the moneyline price will be computed with revised odds based on the new pitchers.
  • Top PickerTop Picker Banned
    edited July 2010
    Iceman wrote: »
    If this all goes down as quickly as it can, wouldn't that be great if the Yankees acquired him and turned right around announced him as tonight's starting pitcher?

Pretty sure I have read something like this has happened before in MLB where a guy basically switches dugouts before the game. Just not sure about a pitching situation like this one.

It is his turn tonight and you may as well start getting your money'w worth.

Didnt this happen last year or 2 years with doug davis going to the dodgers from the diamondbacks and him against them the next night! I mightbe wrong on this though
  • Brooklyn32Brooklyn32 Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    It was Jon Garland.
  • kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    I would think they would pull him from the start if anything is close that has been done before and makes the most sense for all the parties involved.
  • Top PickerTop Picker Banned
    edited July 2010
    Brooklyn32 wrote: »
    It was Jon Garland.

right u are i knew i was missing something
  • KashmirKashmir Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    Thats not the industry term of action.
  • SnakeheadSnakehead Senior Member
    edited July 2010
    Kashmir wrote: »

So can you list any books that pay the way you think it should be?? I agree that bets didn't change when you played action before, but I think they mostly all do now.

Can you post where you found this info, or can anyone post it? I haven't found it yet.
    edited July 2010
    Guess I'll see how betjam handles this....here's what their rules state
    Action - team against team, regardless of the starting pitcher.
    One specified pitcher - this is a wager on or against one specified pitcher, regardless of the other starting pitcher. (examples: "Boston versus Helling" for a wager against or "Helling against anyone for Boston" for a wager on) Note: in the event there is a pitching change prior to the game, money odds may be adjusted. If one scheduled pitcher starts against an unscheduled pitcher, "action" wagers will be computed by the opening price with the new pitcher. A pitcher is deemed a starting pitcher after throwing one pitch.
    edited July 2010
    I'd be shocked if you didn't get the "new" line.
    edited July 2010
    Greek - Choosing an action bet (options 2, 3, or 4) might lead to an adjusted price if the starting pitcher does not start the game since the original price was based on the listed (advertised) pitcher starting the game.

Bookmaker/CRIS - "Action" bets will be computed by the opening price with the new pitcher. A pitcher is deemed a starting pitcher after throwing one pitch.
    edited July 2010
    Here's my current ticket
    Wager Type: Money Line
    Wager Status: Pending
    Risk / To Win Amount: $1,432.00 / $1,325.93 (USD) Accepted 7/9/2010 1:38 PM - EST

Sport / Period: MLB Baseball / Game
    Line:
    New York Yankees 7/9/2010 10:10 PM - (EST)
    Pitchers: P Hughes -R - Action C Lee -L - Action
    * Game Notes:
    Pitching Change M Pineda in for C Lee NEW PITCHING CHANGE D Pauley for M Pineda

To be honest this is an eye opener for me, I haven't made an action bet in several years. I'll be interested to see how they adjust the price.
    edited July 2010
    Here's my current ticket

To be honest this is an eye opener for me, I haven't made an action bet in several years. I'll be interested to see how they adjust the price.

Your risk amount will stay the same, but your win amount will go way down. At least thats how i've always seen it done.
    edited July 2010
    i wish they'd at least adjust my ticket now so i can decide if i want to get rid of some of the bet
  • GooseSTLGooseSTL Senior Member
    edited July 2010

The industry term for action is the bet stays at the time of the bet even w/ a pitching change.

That's why they have action and listed pitchers.

Betjam does not do it right for the customer.
    edited July 2010
    GooseSTL wrote: »
    The industry term for action is the bet stays at the time of the bet even w/ a pitching change.

That's why they have action and listed pitchers.

Betjam does not do it right for the customer.

Sorry but that is incorrect. The term action allows you to still have a wager at the revised price.
    edited July 2010
    Sorry but that is incorrect. The term action allows you to still have a wager at the revised price.

Kashmir is correct... and his answer matches the rules I've posted in this thread from 5Dimes, Greek, and CRIS.

"Action" is really meant for the recreational bettor who wants to "have action" on his home team or the game he's gonna see that night and doesn't give a crap who pitches or what the price will be. I'm certainly no baseball expert, but I don't think any serious bettor specifies "action" b/c you're basically accepting a bet without even knowing the line in the event of a pitching change.