Betting Talk

My Official 2010 World Cup play thread

metagear89metagear89 Senior Member
edited July 2010 in Sports Betting
I've made some bank so far in this world cup but never posted any official plays. I still have some futures that look good right now as you can see for yourself

http://www.bettingtalk.com/showthread.php?150742-World-Cup-Discussion-Thread&p=641406#post641406

Comments

• metagear89metagear89 Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    current BT record 45-21

Sunday 6/26 plays

-PICK Germany

-PICK Argentina
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited June 2010
    As I've mentioned to others, keeping a W-L record in moneyline (non -110) sports without including juice/units is pretty meaningless. You haven't even posted lines with those two picks above.

I'd suggest including juice or just not bothering to keep a record, but you are of course free to do whatever you choose.
    edited June 2010
    I post my pics before I look at the lines because I'm successful that way. Looking at the lines first corrupts your mind because humans are naturally greedy. That's just me though.

I'll find the current lines and post them.
    edited June 2010
    All lines from bodog

-PICK Germany even money

-PICK Argentina point spread -1(-110)
    edited June 2010
    metagear89 wrote: »
    Looking at the lines first corrupts your mind because humans are naturally greedy.

That makes absolutely no sense. You posted Germany at +100. What if they were -120 or -140 or -200? There's no possible way to decide if you like a bet without the price.
  • hornhorn Super Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Goats wrote: »
    That makes absolutely no sense. You posted Germany at +100. What if they were -120 or -140 or -200? There's no possible way to decide if you like a bet without the price.

I was more confused on how you place a bet without seeing the price when you click on the wager and submit it online, or a local tells you what odds he has listed for a game before you bet it.
    edited June 2010
    horn wrote: »
    I was more confused on how you place a bet without seeing the price when you click on the wager and submit it online, or a local tells you what odds he has listed for a game before you bet it.

It's almost as if every pick posted here doesn't represent an actual wager.
    edited June 2010
    don't let that super moderator title get to your head now goats...
    edited June 2010
    metagear89 wrote: »
    don't let that super moderator title get to your head now goats...

My title has nothing to do with the statement you made about not looking at prices before choosing a side.
    edited June 2010
    I don't look at prices before choosing a side plain and simple because soccer is the only sport I follow both at club and international level. I've been doing this for years. I know the quality sides and players unlike most of the people on here who wager on multiple starts daily trying to make a quick buck

I don't follow NBA,MLB,NFL, etc
    edited June 2010
    I meant multiple sports
    edited June 2010
    That explanation still makes no sense. Following the sport closely and not wagering on multiple sports has nothing to do with it. You like team A over team B b/c you expect them to cover a certain % of the time. Without the price, you have no way of knowing if the bet is +EV or not.
  • SandHanitizerSandHanitizer Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    it would be wise not to instigate Metagear89. If you want to make a name for yourself here and be respected as having credible knowledge I suggest taking advice and following procedure. Senior members like Goats and the like are here to mitigate and above all make solid business choices based upon making money. Their advice is constructive and if you follow it you will not only avoid getting the boot but might feed this innate greedy bone you speak of.
    Best of luck with your picks and watch your step bc getting banned at this site is a real possibility if you instigate.
  • SnakeheadSnakehead Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    it would be wise not to instigate Metagear89. If you want to make a name for yourself here and be respected as having credible knowledge I suggest taking advice and following procedure. Senior members like Goats and the like are here to mitigate and above all make solid business choices based upon making money. Their advice is constructive and if you follow it you will not only avoid getting the boot but might feed this innate greedy bone you speak of.
    Best of luck with your picks and watch your step bc getting banned at this site is a real possibility if you instigate.

I agree with what you say in general, except for a couple things.
    1. I wouldn't call Goats a senior member since he hasn't even been a member for a year. BUT he is a moderator, so I guess you could call him a respected member.
    2. I feel that Metagear has made a name for himself. He just doesn't post a lot. He does have a lot of soccer knowledge, and I always appreciate his posts, when he does post. It has been a while though.
    edited June 2010
    Germany 4-1 at the 77th minute
  • RightAngleRightAngle Admin
    edited June 2010
    It is imperative to include money lines and/or pointspreads for any picks posted for any sport, not only for yourself, but for anyone who may be looking to follow.

It is one thing to prefer to form an opinion before seeing the line, but ultimately what the line is must be considered and accounted for in any bets, posts, or records.
    edited July 2010
    I predicted the Dutch winning it all before the WC started. I honestly feel it should have been the dutch and the germans in the final. The absence of muller really hurt them. I'm still unimpressed by this spanish squad. Too many teams have been showing them too much respect ever since they won Euro 08.

The key to a dutch win is not showing too much respect to the spaniards. This game will be Wesley Sneijder's chance to shine. I like the dutch winning it all even more because everyone and their grandma and that octopus predict a spanish victory.