Betting Talk

Who's more Patriotic?

IHMWFIHMWF Senior Member
edited March 2010 in Sports Betting
I love these events in which certain Americans want to show their so-called patriotism? You know the person who has the American flag on his pickup truck , always chanting USA USA, blah blah. Well today is the perfect question.
Who is more patriotic a minority that has served in the military and who wants Canada to win today's hockey game or a non minority who has not served in the military and wants America to win today's game?

Because I think the best way to show your patriotism is to serve your country. The racial element to this question is valid. Because I believe some non minorities believe they are real Americans even though they
do little to prove their patriotism. Drinking Bud,flying flags, supporting NASCAR BLAH BLAH BLAH is not a American barometer.

Comments

• newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    where did this thread come from? i am just curious? all i know is the USA hockey team just got to OT and this game is phenomenal.
  • homerplayerhomerplayer Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    is there an expiration date on your act?
  • doolydooly Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    Ahhh yes. Let's turn a great hockey game into a racial/political thing. No thanks.
    edited February 2010
    IHMWF wrote:
    IDrinking Bud,flying flags, supporting NASCAR BLAH BLAH BLAH is not a American barometer.

are you saying black people are not American then, because:

guess which beer is number among American African consumers? Budweiser. in fact, it holds the number one spot across all major demographic categories.

never heard of Wendell Scott i see. i know you rely on outdated info and views for you arguments, but you needed to keep abreast of things.

Trends show that Hispanic and African-American interest has increased steadily over the last 10 years. The NASCAR fan base is starting the diversify as advertisers and sponsors start pouring money into the sport to tap this expanding trend.

have a wonderful day.
  • KeyElementKeyElement Banned
    edited February 2010
    Serving in the military is not necessarily a barometer of patriotism either. Quite often it is a way up, a way out. It is also one of steps taken the last 60 years (i.e. Civil Rights Act, Equal Opportunity Act, etc.) that has caused a rise in the economic, educational and social opportunities for all Americans, of every race or ethnic background. If these things had not happened homerplayers inclusion of the importance of minority customers to business and industry would not be an issue or a focal point. Grow up, or has the balance of America moved ahead without you?
  • xlcfxlcf Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    I wonder why this complete useless thread was even started...
  • awfulorvawfulorv Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    The whole country is hurting, going down the tubes actually, and some amongst us just have to concern themselves with some wrongs done to their ancestors a century ago. Ask a hundred citizens, of any African country, whether they'd like to live here, rather than where they now live, and one hundred twelve will answer YES. Look my ancestors, the Norsk, didn't particularly like the Swedes years ago, but we've learned to live with it. Hell, half of our jokes are about them, and they us, so what's the problem?
  • pipocaspipocas Junior Member
    edited March 2010
    its funny you bring up african american. i have cousins that were born in angola. one of them goes for a job interview and puts down african american. the interviewer ask is this a joke because my cousin is white. so the question is does african american mean a person is automatically black?. i guess not.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited March 2010
    awfulorv wrote:
    The whole country is hurting, going down the tubes actually, and some amongst us just have to concern themselves with some wrongs done to their ancestors a century ago. Ask a hundred citizens, of any African country, whether they'd like to live here, rather than where they now live, and one hundred twelve will answer YES. Look my ancestors, the Norsk, didn't particularly like the Swedes years ago, but we've learned to live with it. Hell, half of our jokes are about them, and they us, so what's the problem?

It might be one thing if those "wrongs" were "done to their ancestors a century ago". However, you can find many, many people still alive today that were deeply impacted by those wrongs. The Civil Rights era wasn't nearly as long ago as you make it seem, and there is still a deep racial divide that is alive in many parts of the country. it's obviously getting better with each generation, but I know that my grandparents lived in a much different world than I live in today, and their views couldn't have been more different than mine.
  • KeyElementKeyElement Banned
    edited March 2010
    There is a local columnist here that is that is of traditional West European descent but is married to a Hispanic, obviously not a bigot herself, and when asked on any form for "race" she goes to the line for other and fills in "human". Personally, I love that response and try to remember it.
    edited March 2010
    would some history help? there were black slave owners in America. we like to change our history to fit the victim-hood status many seek to achieve, but it is a fact, go look it up.

and why do only blacks get to lay claim to slavery? there were white slaves the world over, and in America, but that too has been morphed into a racist crock of shit, holding that slavery is white ownership of black. far more whites were slaves to those peace loving Muslims in Northern Africa. speaking of Africa, slavery continues there to this day, with both slave and slave owner being black.

last week i was watching some PBS show and they were just dong quick, little thumb nail sketches of African Americans that achieved great things in America. there was a stretch of amazing individuals that all started with "former slave". men and women that had every reason not rise to greatness, but did. and yet here we are, where no one is born into slavery, yet uses every excuse not to succeed.

it has been over 140 years since slavery was abolished and America has healed itself and come far enough to elect a black president. and lest you miss the point, slavery is wrong in every way imaginable.

the worst part of it all is Martin Luther King Jr. I Have a Dream. how's that working out? a truly great man that changed the world, or at least America. seems no one cares to remember "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." starting with his untimely death and jesse jackson telling a huge fucking lie. MLK was awesome and so was Malcolm. now we have jesse and al. shame.

i sincerely feel sorry for anyone that views the world entirely through a prism of race. skin color does not define who you are. anyone can achieve their dreams because America is the greatest country on the face of the Earth. the only thing holding you back is self-imposed limitations.

allow me to close with some Charles Darwin, which should surprise Huey.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"
  • HowardBealHowardBeal Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    No one ever doubted your confidence homer......
    edited March 2010

i sincerely feel sorry for anyone that views the world entirely through a prism of race. skin color does not define who you are. anyone can achieve their dreams because America is the greatest country on the face of the Earth. the only thing holding you back is self-imposed limitations.

So you dont let race define people.....just religion then?
    edited March 2010
    HowardBeal wrote:
    So you dont let race define people.....just religion then?

congrats on your religion getting it's first confirmed victims: "Seven-month-old baby survives shot to chest in parents' murder-suicide pact blamed on global warming"
  • pipocaspipocas Junior Member
    edited March 2010
    excellent post homer. yes jessie jackson and al sharpton are just instigators always looking to stir the pot. btw what is jessie jackson job title?. also are these the guys that came up with the word african american? well who ever came up with the word to start describing blacks did not do a good job. because like i said in my earlier post i have african american family and they are white. so now most people are under the assumption african american means black people. well that is incorrect.
    edited March 2010
    Global Warming is not a religion homer....it is based on facts.....not science fiction.....
    edited March 2010
    HowardBeal wrote:
    Global Warming is not a religion homer....it is based on facts...

WOW

Facts?

as the Jesus said: laughable man!!!

<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/CsEa_M7MqYE&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/CsEa_M7MqYE&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>
  • IHMWFIHMWF Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    Where has this thread morphed ? I simply stated who is more patriotic a non minority or a minority based on certain criteria. This thread has turned into Black -White relationships.I never implied a certain race, simply majority vs minority. So I wonder did I bring the obvious concerns in certain people?
  • OldHickOldHick Senior Member
    edited March 2010
    I'm a minority (college educated professional, no tat's or facial hair, with no pickup truck or flags, but I like to bass fish....not too many that look like me when I participate in bass fishing tournaments except many of them are also white).

That being said, I cheered for the USA.

And I didn't serve in the military.

I know you didnt ask about minorities that didn't serve, but I wanted to participate.