Betting Talk

NBA All-Star Weekend props

calzonesayscalzonesays Senior Member
edited February 2010 in Sports Betting
As many of you know, All-Star Weekend in the NBA is taking place. If you are looking for some prop action for fun and a bit of profit possibly at the same time, these are what I am thinking for all the competitions during All-Star Weekend. Obviously followed the NBA very closely this season myself and will be playing a few props from this All-Star Game to make things interesting. Not going to include these props in my overall record as they are seperate from the season records. I will simply keep the record seperate as a prop record. Run down of who is in each of the competitions, what their odds are to win each event, and who I believe is going to take each event. These wagers will be for .5 of a unit each.

Foot Locker 3-Point contest

Chauncey Billups (+350)
Daequan Cook (+450)
Stephen Curry (+140)
Channing Frye (+500)
Danilo Gallinari (+380)
Paul Pierce (+550)

This 3-point shootout is going to be an interesting one with some pretty streaky shooters. While Channing Frye was very efficient during the first half of the season with the Suns, I do not think he will go far in this competition at all. I don't like his release and his shot for this type of competition, hes a rhythm shooter and I simply think shooting off the rack will not favor him. I also do not think that Danilo Gallinari is going to win it as much as I would love for him to win it since I am a Knicks fan. He's a very confident shooter and if hes confident or feeling on during warmups, he can certainly run away with this regardless. Gallo is an amazing shooter no doubt, but he seemed best shooting his 3's in the flow of an offense, and specifically loves the step back 3-pointer during NBA games to make the majority of his 3's this season. Hes one of those shooters I believe operates better with hands in his face and with pressure completely. Not sure why Paul Pierce was in this competition, I do not think he will win it either.

That leaves us with Chauncey Billups, Daequan Cook and Stephen Curry. Daequan was the biggest underdog last season to win the contest (+700) I believe, and he managed to pull off the upset. Now hes defending his title. He's a great shooter but I just can't see him winning this back to back against this field. Stephen Curry and Chauncey Billups are the two I believe have the best shot at winning this. They both have great releases that seem to favor these type of competitions (shooting off the rack, many shots consecutively) and are simply the two purest shooters in the shootout in my opinion. I can't decide which one will bring it home, so .5 of a unit on each. Stephen Curry or Chauncey Billups to win the 3-Point shootout.

Stephen Curry (+140) .5 unit to win .7 units
Chauncey Billups (+350) .5 unit to win 1.75 units

Geico H.O.R.S.E contest
Kevin Durant (-120)
Omri Casspi (+240)
Rajon Rondo (+260)

This could actaully be more entertaining than people think. Most people on the east coast are probably like Omri who? Definitely doesn't get a lot of exposure playing on the Kings, especially playing in the shadow of Tyreke Evans and Kevin Martin. Kevin Durant is obviously going to be popular pick based on his popularity and how he is one of the biggest emerging stars now a days. Rondo is kind of a laugher as a pick, picking him for a contest involving a lot of crazy jump shooting? Seems like the NBA loves sticking Boston players in these competitions trying to draw more attention.

Casspi has a very smooth release and has an amazing shot. There is some value backing him as I think he will surprise people here. Either Casspi or Durant will win this, do not see Rondo winning this. I am going to go for value here and take Omri Casspi, I think he will start to make a name for himself for those who don't know him, very impressive for a rookie, if only he got more playing time.

Omri Casspi (+240) .5 unit to win 1.2 units

Sprite Slam Dunk contest

Shannon Brown (EVEN)
Nate Robinson (+325)
Gerald Wallace (+335)
DeMar Derozan (+300)

I wish the dunk contest fielded the big names that it used to back in the 80s and 90s but players now a days seem more worried about staying healthy and staying fresh during the weekend and do not want to risk injury, which is understandable I guess. I do not think Nate Robinson is going to win another dunk title, I think he has pretty much reached his max and has done just about every routine he is able to pull off. Hes back defending his title but I believe he will not win it again, simply starting to get stale.

I have it narrowed down between Gerald Wallace and Shannon Brown. I believe Gerald Wallace will turn some peoples heads tomorrow and win the dunk contest. While Shannon is probably the most athletic in the dunk contest, there is some added hype there being on the Lakers and getting endorsed by Kobe. Gerald should bring some creativity to the table.

Gerald Wallace (+335) .5 units to win 1.68 units

Comments

• brmapesbrmapes Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    Same exact picks I was making before I read this thread, no need for me to make another with the same stuff haha, Wallace having a career year and has the best jumping ability in the league...I wish Curry had been in HORSE too

GL
  • calzonesayscalzonesays Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    brmapes wrote:
    Same exact picks I was making before I read this thread, no need for me to make another with the same stuff haha, Wallace having a career year and has the best jumping ability in the league...I wish Curry had been in HORSE too

GL

agreed, surprised as hell w/ rondo in horse, tons of other players would be fun to watch in that
  • dfletch21dfletch21 Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    A lot of people questioned why Rondo made horse and not Monta Ellis?
  • Dgates21Dgates21 Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    Nice thread calzone, I'm going with...

defending champ Cook

D williams for the skills challenge

Wallace for dunk
  • ChaseGChaseG Banned
    edited February 2010
    Durant just shot up to -170 in the HORSE contest, that means rondo/casspi probably have no chance shit
  • originalokieoriginalokie Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    For shits and giggles - Just played Durant at - 110; he is as high as - 170 at some sights - I am Thunder Struck!!!
    edited February 2010
    Knew it Okie!!
  • originalokieoriginalokie Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    Boom, Boom, Boom, x 20

Yea Durant!!!
  • ChaseGChaseG Banned
    edited February 2010
    Why didn't I go all in on durant, he was the lock of the century especially with that 8:00 BS at the end...
    edited February 2010
    wow what a shootout at the end there

when KD is in the zone like that, he is unbeatable....

big ups to rondo too, surprised me with his new range....he would be an elite PG if he could hit 3's and long distance jumpers

didn't know they'd do a sudden death thing cuz of time, that would definitely favor KD
    edited February 2010
    bad beat on the 3pt shootout...

2 of the 3 guys in the final round I had (Billups, Curry)

Paul Pierce randomly shoots lights out and wins
  • LivandbelleLivandbelle Member
    edited February 2010
    U still in the game Calzone?