Betting Talk

Worst decision by a GM in any sport this decade

IHMWFIHMWF Senior Member
edited December 2009 in Sports Betting
There are many but my pick is for Joe Dumars:
This guy actually took Darko over D Wade, Melo, and C Bosh ( Rue Paul). this guy gets alot of credit for being a great GM but that was the worst move this decade. Similar to Sam Bowie over Jordan.

What is yours?

Comments

• Rainman.rckRainman.rck Senior Member
    edited December 2009
    Easy to say in hindsight. I can definitely understand why it made sense at the time, especially with his potential. They had time to wait and let a pick develop.
  • calzonesayscalzonesays Senior Member
    edited December 2009
    Not protecting lottery picks on Eddy Curry deal - The Chicago Bulls decided to trade Eddy Curry because he would not submit to DNA testing on his heart. According to an AP report, the Bulls were worried that Curry's "genetic makeup leaves him susceptible to cardiomyopathy, a heart condition that combined with arrhythmia, could prove fatal." Isiah Thomas traded three players, three draft picks and the right to swap first-round picks in 2007 to get Curry. But the picks were not lottery protected, a standard condition of trades involving draft picks. The Knicks ended up trading the number two pick in the 2006 draft and swapping the number nine pick for the number 23 pick in 2007. Curry had a nice season last year, but the loss of the number two overall pick and the ninth overall pick in back-to-back drafts has been huge, especially for a player with a major medical condition.

Everything revolving around Larry Brown - After the dismal selection of Lenny Wilkens, the Knicks and Isiah Thomas apparently hit a home run with the signing of Larry Brown to be the team's coach. But Brown and Isiah Thomas did not see eye-to-eye and Brown was his usual cantankerous self. The Knicks had a dreadful season under Brown and did not allow him to stay around to right the ship, like he had done after bad starts in San Antonio, where he went from 21 wins to 56 wins the following season, and Philadelphia, where he went from a .378 winning percentage to a .560 winning percentage the next year. Oh, and this is when Isiah Thomas became coach, allowing him to kill the Knicks in two different capacities.

Trading for Stephon Marbury - Isiah Thomas put the Knicks deeper in salary cap hell in order to acquire Marbury. He dealt four players, the rights to another and two first-round draft picks for Marbury, Penny Hardaway and Cezary Trybanski. The Knicks were already massively over the salary cap and adding the bloated contracts of Marbury and Hardaway made this worse. Marbury had been on three teams prior to the Knicks and none of those teams had won anything, a trend continued for Marbury in Gotham. Oh yeah, the Knicks also gave up the team's first-round pick in 2004 and a pick that has yet to be determined. The pick was protected (see, Isiah Thomas was aware of the concept!) in the top 24 for the 2007 draft; it is top 23 protected for 2008; top 22 protected for 2009; and unprotected for 2010. This deal killed the Knicks in salary, performance and draft picks - no easy feat!

Signing Jared Jeffries - The Knicks were a poor defensive team, which must have driven Larry Brown, a defensive-minded coach if there ever was one, crazy. So, Isiah Thomas used his exemption to sign Jared Jeffries. The team then drafted Renaldo Balkman, a player with the identical skill set to Jeffries, and then Jeffries got hurt. Oh, and they got rid of Larry Brown. Jeffries averaged 4.1 points per game last year and has no role on this year's team. And they have him for three more seasons after this one.

Just deciding to post a complete log of Isiah Thomas, you can decide the worst for yourselves.

(yes I am a Knicks fan)

I don't wish harm on human beings very often, but what hes done to this franchise almost changes that lol
  • Chopper17Chopper17 Senior Member
    edited December 2009
    How about trading away Chauncey Billups for a washed up, has-been, (never was), loser - Allan Iverson. One of the worst trades in NBA history in my opinion.
  • HowardBealHowardBeal Senior Member
    edited December 2009
    you guys are absolutely nuts.....it is Chris Wallace in a runaway......He traded Joe Johnson for Tony Delk and Rodney Rogers, and Pau Gasol ot the Lakers for absolutley nothing.......
  • homerplayerhomerplayer Senior Member
    edited December 2009
    Pioli

Cassel

and i called that shit when it happened

boo

y

a