Betting Talk

State of Washington Report

kkirkkkirk Senior Member
edited September 2009 in Sports Betting
Tough start for the Report last week, going 0-3. Wasn't even close on WSU and the Seahawks, and took a tough beat on Washington as Idaho drove 92 yards in the closing minutes to get the backdoor cover. But, it's a long season...

WSU--I personally witnessed the debacle last week against Hawaii. The Rainbows moved the ball at will in the 1st half, and of course 5 WSU turnovers helped them along (Cougs had 7 total turnovers and Hawaii 4). This week WSU takes on SMU, in what is the Cougars last decent chance to win a game this season. SMU is a surprising 2-0 on the season after jumping to a big lead last week against UAB and then holding on to win in the 2nd half. The Mustangs are tops on the nation right now in turnover ratio and the Cougs were one of the most generous turnover teams in the country last year.
The Cougs have relegated QB Kevin Lopina to the 3rd string, elevating redshirt sohpmore Marshall Loebestall to first string and taking the redshirt off freshman Tuell to be the backup. Tuell is the QB of the future, apparently, and will get some time on Saturday, particularly if the game gets one-sided (as it often has the last 15 games or so for the Cougs). Tough call here but I think WSU will be extra motivated, given this is its realistically the last chance for a win this year, and SMU will be a bit hungover after the win last week and then having to travel to Pullman, one of the toughest places to get to in all of college football. I also think the turnovers will start to even out for SMU, meaning maybe the Cougs will get a few and hold on to the ball a bit better (as they did against Stanford--no turnovers). Lastly, SMU a notorious poor road team and hopefully that will continue.
Pick: WSU +6

Washington: Talk radio buzzed this week after the first win by the Huskies since '07 last week against Idaho. After while, I was tempted to call in and say, "GIVE IT A REST! YOU BEAT IDAHO, GET OVER YOURSELVES." but I did not. Looking at the stats of the game, both teams had 20 first downs and the Vandals outgained UW 412-374 and they held the ball longer, 32:30 to 27:30. The Huskies cannot rush the passer and they can't defend the pass. What kept the game from being closer was Idaho's inability to remain focused in the red zone (3 deep possessions and only field goals to show, plus 8 penalties). People are talking upset around here, figuring USC will be looking past UW, who barely put up a fight last year.
USC QB is out, but their 2nd string guy is nearly as good as the 1st stringer and the UW defense will give up 500 yards of offense and possibly 600. Back to reality Dawgs--
Pick: USC -19 1/2

Seahawks: The Hawks beat a St.Louis team that is god-awful, perhaps the 2nd worse team in the league behind Detroit. Hawks go on the road this week to take on the Niners, a team that has given them trouble lately. Beat a bad team at home then on the road against a division foe--I like that situation and this game is nearly a pick 'em so we'll go with the Niners, as the Hawks injury situation begins to catch up with them.
Pick: Niners +1

Good luck all.