Betting Talk

What r the dumbest GM trades of All Time ?

IHMWFIHMWF Senior Member
edited December 2008 in Sports Betting
The most recent has to be :

Jason Kidd ( 35+ years ) for
Devin Harris and 2 No. 1 draft picks

You think Mark Cuban might do this over.

This trade will NOT make the
5 reasons you can't blame ................ list

what are your's? Hershel Walker.........

Comments

• jw118877jw118877 Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    Ditka trading a whole draft for Ricky Williams is the first that comes to my mind.
  • creamcream Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    Herschel Walker Trade by far takes the cake! Dallas ends up with three? Superbowl rings after that.
  • CoolsCools Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    FIRE JON DANIELS!!

Adam Eaton
    Akinori Otska

for...

Adrian Gonzalez
    Chris Young
  • drnoxdrnox Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    Interesting conspiracy article regarding the Herschel Walker trade....

http://jeffpearlman.com/?p=647

A bit long.
  • StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    just the first local deal that came to mind....
    Rays send Bobby Abreu to Philly for Kevin Stocker.....
  • Flaggy03Flaggy03 Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    Oh, the variety of trades the Red Sox made in the late 1980s-early 1990s with prospects like Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio.
  • BigPermBigPerm Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    Jaromir Jagr for 3 scrubs

Aramis Ramirez for Bobby Hill, Jose Hernandez, and Some doofus
  • franky87franky87 Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    lol i think there are just to many to post on 1 page. the cubs come into mind
  • howyoudoinhowyoudoin Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    July 31, 1997 – The Seattle Mariners trade pitcher Derek Lowe and catcher Jason Varitek to the Boston Red Sox for closer Heathcliff Slocumb

December 10, 1971 – The New York Mets trade pitchers Nolan Ryan, Don Rose, catcher Frank Estrada, and outfielder Leroy Stanton to the California Angels for shortstop Jim Fregosi.

Absolute worst by a longshot:

January 3, 1920 – The Boston Red Sox trade Pitcher/Outfielder George Herman Ruth to the New York Yankees for Cash.
  • howyoudoinhowyoudoin Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    Colts trade the draft rights to the John Elway to Denver in exchange for quarterback Mark Hermann, the rights to offensive tackle Chris Hinton and a first-round pick in the 1984 draft, which ended up being guard Ron Solt.
  • StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    i'll give you another deal involving the phillies...
    Dbacks get
    Schilling
    Phils get
    Travis Lee
    Omar Daal
    Vicente Padilla
    Nelson Figueroa

I was in the parking lot and ball park the night that deal went down in Philly....played the Cubs...began the true dark ages of Phils baseball, but its all good now......
    edited December 2008
    Absolute worst by a longshot:

January 3, 1920 – The Boston Red Sox trade Pitcher/Outfielder George Herman Ruth to the New York Yankees for Cash.

I think that takes the pot
    edited December 2008
    howyoudoin wrote:
    Colts trade the draft rights to the John Elway to Denver in exchange for quarterback Mark Hermann, the rights to offensive tackle Chris Hinton and a first-round pick in the 1984 draft, which ended up being guard Ron Solt.

Yes, that is definatly one of the worst trades of all time! I forgot all about that one.
    edited December 2008
    1998 NFL Draft - Ryan Leaf
    Entering the 1998 draft, Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf were widely considered to be the two best players overall in the draft. The San Diego Chargers had the third pick of the draft, but entered into trade with the Arizona Cardinals to guarantee they'd get one of the two quarterbacks. To move up one spot, the Chargers traded two first round picks, a second round pick and three-time Pro-Bowler Eric Metcalf.
    edited December 2008
    Couple of local team trades that were pretty lopsided but may not be in the top for worst ever.

Bulls trade the rights to number 8 pick olden polynice to the Seattle sonics for the rights to the number 5 pick which happened to be Scottie pippen. This trade definitely helped set up the bulls dynasty.

White sox trade sammy Sosa to the Chicago cubs for George bell.
    edited December 2008
    chargers traded eli for rivers after drafting Eli. obviosuly with eli and big ben winning superbowls, both comming out of that draft that was a bad choice on san diego's part picking up rivers. thank god cause i freaging hate rivers and his attitude. thinks he is hot shit always starting shit with other players. man i hate him, would love to knock him out. he wouldnt last in ny with the media the way he acts
    edited December 2008
    Did a little research....

Possibly the WORST of all time...right up there with Elway for sure:

-Charlotte Hornets trade Kobe Bryant to Lakers for Vlade Divac in 1996

-Atlanta Falcons trade Brett Favre to the Green Bay Packers for First Round draft pick (RB Tony Smith)

-Mavericks trade Robert "Tractor" Traylor to Milwaukee for Dirk Nowitzki

-Red Sox trade Jeff Bagwell for Larry Andersen (This was my pick above in the thread)

-The Vancouver Canucks traded Cam Neely and its first-round draft pick in 1987 to the Boston Bruins for Barry Pederson.

-The Boston Bruins traded Pit Martin, Jack Norris and Gille Marotte to the Chicago Blackhawks for Phil Esposito, Ken Hodge and Fred Stanfield.

-The Philadelphia Flyers traded Peter Forsberg, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duchesne, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, a draft pick they turned into Jocelyn Thibault, Chris Simon and $15 million to the Quebec Nordiques for Eric Lindros.

-Golden State trades McHale & Parrish to the Celtics for Joe Barry Carrol in 1980

-Bucks trade Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to the Lakers for Elmore Smith, Brian Winters, Dave Meyers, and Junior Bridgeman in 1975

-Yankees send Jay Buhner to Seattle for Ken Phelps (July 21, 1988)

-Tigers send John Smoltz to Braves for Doyle Alexander (Aug. 12, 1987)

-Cubs trade Lou Brock to the Cards for Ernie Broglio (June 15, 1964)

OK...thats enough for now. I love these kinds of threads.
    edited December 2008
    franky87 wrote:
    chargers traded eli for rivers after drafting Eli. obviosuly with eli and big ben winning superbowls, both comming out of that draft that was a bad choice on san diego's part picking up rivers. thank god cause i freaging hate rivers and his attitude. thinks he is hot shit always starting shit with other players. man i hate him, would love to knock him out. he wouldnt last in ny with the media the way he acts

Franky, this wasn't a bad trade for either team. Eli didn't want to be in San Diego. So Eli got traded to the G Men for:

1. Rivers (drafted fourth overall that year),
    2. Giants First Round Pick the following year, Chargers drafted Shawne Merriman with that
    3. Giants third round pick which they used on Pro-Bowl kicker Nate Kaeding
    4. and a 5th rounder which the Chargers used to trade to TB for a starting Left Tackle that was serviceable for two strong years.

Prior to Eli and the G Men winning the superbowl, it was widely considered a bad trade for the G Men. Overall though, both teams made out......

Note: Erni Accorsi was smart not to succumb to the Chargers requests to add Osi Umenyori to the deal......
    edited December 2008
    Flaggy, charlotte was basically forced to trade Kobe. He told them that he would not play for them. They really didn't have much of a choice but to try to get something in return for him. Definitely still a bad trade, but really not one they could avoid.
  • refaholic10refaholic10 Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    nothing beats the babe trade but i thought i would throw this one out there as it seems a bit forgotten...i know that like the kobe trade he basically asked/demanded to be traded so managements hands were tied but nevertheless...one of the worst trades of all time is...........

Sixers ownership got off the Charles Barkley roller coaster by accommodating his desires for a trade when he was sent to Phoenix for Jeff Hornacek, Tim Perry and Andrew Lang. Like the mythical bird for which the city is named, Barkley found new life in Phoenix. In his magical first season with the Suns, he won the NBA MVP while leading Phoenix to the league’s best record of 62-20 and a berth in the 1993 NBA Finals. The Suns lost to Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls in a memorable six-game series.

Horny was a pretty solid pro but Tim Perry and Andrew Lang were downright awful...that being said basically Horny for Sir Charles has got to be up there...thanks for reading!!
  • KeyElementKeyElement Banned
    edited December 2008
    You guys that listed ELWAY have to back off. Elway was a heck of a baseball player and MLB was waiting with biggy bucks. Elway stated clearly that if drafted by an Eastern team in the NFL he would wait for the MLB draft and probably go that way. Baltimore had no choice but to trade the pick. At least Elway was honest about his intentions.
  • homerplayerhomerplayer Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    the sum total of any and all trades and free agent signings completed by the Pittsburgh Pirates since 1992 when they decided to build a future around Andy Van Suck instead of Barry Bonds.

My favorite free agent signings

Matt Morris
    Derek Bell (fuck i hate that guy)
    Pap Smears
    Raul Mondesi

and now 2 pitchers from India that won a reality TV show over there.....oh yeah, this Pirate management team stays on point regardless of turnover
  • njmikenjmike Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    mets trade seaver to reds for pat zachery, steve henderson, doug flynn and dan norman
    scoot kazmir for zambrotta
    another great one by the mets was when they traded some guy named nolan ryan
  • Phil147Phil147 Senior Member
    edited December 2008
    Canucks Trade: Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen, Alex Auld
    Panthers Trade: Roberto Luongo, Lukas Krajicek and a sixth round draft pick.