Sunday, 1/17

865 Connecticut E Houston
    880 Colorado +1.5 Oregon
    881 Oregon State +9 Utah
    883 VMI +10 UNC Greensboro
    893 American +15 Army
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    Got to ask you something,you always mention ,well maybe not always but you do mention sagarin and kenpom, i really like the other side of that uconn pk but line is right where it should be....looking at hou SOS they are at the bottom of the ocean , uconn though about 5 pts better if you look at sagarin , if i were to look at that alone ,and i think a lot of people do , they are making a big mistake taking uconn on that stat alone.
    Do you look at those numbers to determine your picks , for some crazy reason i thought you would take them just by the way you talk about sagarin.

Good luck today
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited January 2016
    jets96 wrote: »
    Got to ask you something,you always mention ,well maybe not always but you do mention sagarin and kenpom, i really like the other side of that uconn pk but line is right where it should be....looking at hou SOS they are at the bottom of the ocean , uconn though about 5 pts better if you look at sagarin , if i were to look at that alone ,and i think a lot of people do , they are making a big mistake taking uconn on that stat alone.
    Do you look at those numbers to determine your picks , for some crazy reason i thought you would take them just by the way you talk about sagarin.

Good luck today

I do look at Sagarin's stuff at the start of the season as I'm setting my initial ratings (along with a bunch of other sources), but don't think I've checked his hoops ratings since early November. However I'm constantly using some of Pomeroy's stuff. For college football, I'll look at Sagarin a lot to get an idea of what certain lines would be (as I don't do any handicapping/power ratings myself, and just follow others).

Edit - I just checked Sagarin and he's got UConn about -1.3 today, taking his home court into account.
    edited January 2016
    Ok thank you , but know one should be using his home court , every home court is worth 3.36 , thats not even close , and knowing you need to be very close to the posted lines , that 1 or 2 pts is going to make those using them a loser , i think in the long run. Hout is 5-0 ats at home so id make their home court a little bit more his.
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited January 2016
    Ok thank you , but know one should be using his home court , every home court is worth 3.36 , thats not even close , and knowing you need to be very close to the posted lines , that 1 or 2 pts is going to make those using them a loser , i think in the long run. Hout is 5-0 ats at home so id make their home court a little bit more his.

You really think being 5-0 ATS makes their home court stronger? They have played one decent team at home, they covered because it went to OT(LSU, and LSU wasn't playing very well at the time).
    edited January 2016
    First , everyone's home court is different , am still using a combo of last year , 5-5 ats at home and this year.
    StevieY , whats your home court for Houston ? if Sagarin is 3.36 mine is about a point more.
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    TommyL wrote: »
    I do look at Sagarin's stuff at the start of the season as I'm setting my initial ratings (along with a bunch of other sources), but don't think I've checked his hoops ratings since early November. However I'm constantly using some of Pomeroy's stuff. For college football, I'll look at Sagarin a lot to get an idea of what certain lines would be (as I don't do any handicapping/power ratings myself, and just follow others).

Edit - I just checked Sagarin and he's got UConn about -1.3 today, taking his home court into account.

Tommy I'm curious about what you use from Pomeroy as I don't think his fanmatch link (daily projections) are sharp versus the market.

http://kenpom.com/fanmatch.php

Most of the time if the line moves away from his number on a game it's sharper then if his number is showing value versus the line. It's a guideline to look at but as far as using it to beat the line, I've tracked it over the course of the last 3 years to see, it's a losing proposition.

I see guys all over the net using his predictions as their picks and none of them (the guys posting picks are profitable). You can tell because each pick falls in line with what his fanmatch projection says. Handicap the handicapper as they say.

Not saying that you do that. Just curious how you are using his info.
    edited January 2016
    First , everyone's home court is different , am still using a combo of last year , 5-5 ats at home and this year.
    StevieY , whats your home court for Houston ? if Sagarin is 3.36 mine is about a point more.

I only change my home court for the extremes and there are individual situations(well one big one) that make a teams home court worth more(I consider it more of a "road court disadvantage"). 99% of the people who try to customize home court for every team make them worse than if they take one figure for all. I also use more than home/road/neutral designations for my games so my avg true home court is slightly different.
    edited January 2016
    I dont like one single home court, to me doesnt work, maybe i cant figure it right, I must be doing something right with my home court because my lines are basically right on ....do you know how he comes up with that 3.36?
    edited January 2016
    i took col getting +1.5 my home court for them was even bigger then hou ,line dropped to pk , i thought even though org has beaten top 50 clubs and col hasnt they werent giving col enough advantage for being home OR Org disadvantage on the road ats ...i had cold as a 1 pt fav
    edited January 2016
    I dont like one single home court, to me doesnt work, maybe i cant figure it right, I must be doing something right with my home court because my lines are basically right on ....do you know how he comes up with that 3.36?

I'm assuming he used regression software or something similar. I don't know for sure.
    edited January 2016
    ebemiss wrote: »
    Tommy I'm curious about what you use from Pomeroy as I don't think his fanmatch link (daily projections) are sharp versus the market.

http://kenpom.com/fanmatch.php

Most of the time if the line moves away from his number on a game it's sharper then if his number is showing value versus the line. It's a guideline to look at but as far as using it to beat the line, I've tracked it over the course of the last 3 years to see, it's a losing proposition.

I see guys all over the net using his predictions as their picks and none of them (the guys posting picks are profitable). You can tell because each pick falls in line with what his fanmatch projection says. Handicap the handicapper as they say.

Not saying that you do that. Just curious how you are using his info.

More than anything, I like the way he presents a lot of his data. When I zero in on a game, I can often "see" more using his site than using my own data (as least from a presentation standpoint, I haven't found anything better than Ken's site). I also like using his site to look at scheduling situations (another spot where his presentation is really good I think). Don't pay attention much to the picks themselves since even Ken himself will tell you that there are a lot of flaws (injuries/suspensions, new players being added into the mix, recent form, etc).

Plus, I'm a huge fan of Ken's blog. He does lots of great work (and also seems like a good guy thru my interactions with him).
    edited January 2016
    Monday, 1/18

538 Monmouth -7.5 Siena
    542 NC Central -1 Hampton 1.5 UNITS
    edited January 2016
    710 Providence E Butler
    717 Western Michigan +6 Ohio
    743 Central Michigan +3 Northern Illinois
    edited January 2016
    Wednesday, 1/20

530 Notre Dame -12.5 Virginia Tech
    561 Vanderbilt -2.5 Tennessee 1.5 UNITS
    576 UC Santa Barbara -1.5 Long Beach State
    edited January 2016
    Thursday, 1/21

718 Rutgers +22.5 Iowa
    723 Delaware +15 UNC Wilmington
    734 UL Monroe -6 Troy
    763 Cal Poly -4 CS Northridge
    778 Morehead State -5.5 Tennessee Tech
    781 Rider +8 Siena
    784 VMI +6.5 Samford
    800 Northern Arizona E North Dakota 1.5 UNITS
    edited January 2016
    Just think how hard it was to play at the rack back in the day ....home dog over 20 pts , i dont know , rutgers has lost 5 games in a row by over 20 pts and in those games they havent played anyone as good as iowa..Rutgers one of the youngest teams in college, this could get ugly ,got to find out what teams do after losing 5 in a row by more then 20 and at home getting 20 or more.
    Good luck
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    im on rutgers as well... gl tonight TL.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    It's a terrible spot for Iowa, they figure to sleepwalk through most of the game, but as much as I wanted to, I just couldn't pull the trigger on Rutgers. GL guy's, hopefully they get the money tonight.
    edited January 2016
    i understand with purdue up next , am not saying id take iowa either , hope you get the money .
    luck
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    Gonna have to hold on in the 2h. Looking at 2h over... too much at 80 imo.
    edited January 2016
    As for Rutgers, they're obviously pretty bad, but as I've mentioned before, I don't think they're quite as bad as they're playing. And 22.5 is a crap load of points at home against an Iowa team that's probably taking this about as seriously as a pickup game.

I've never actually been to the RAC, but I'm heading up there for the PSU game next month.
    edited January 2016
    Been there many moons ago, nice call
    luck
    edited January 2016
    Passing today. Traveling and likely will not have anything until Monday.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited January 2016
    TommyL wrote: »
    Passing today. Traveling and likely will not have anything until Monday.

Hope you're heading away from the blizzard.
    edited January 2016
    Updated Results thru 1/27

Unweighted: 148-162-7 (-29.4 units) Avg CLV: +.20
    Non-WA, 2nd halfs, and Futures: 3-6 (-3.6 units)
    Overall Weighted Units: -33
    edited January 2016
    Thursday, 1/28

720 UConn -2 Cincinnati
    740 Illinois-Chicago +3.5 Youngstown State
    744 Southern Illinois +1.5 Evansville
    782 Arizona -7 Oregon
    786 Wofford -2 East Tennessee State
    799 Belmont -9 Jacksonville State
    805 Northern Arizona +20.5 Weber State 1.5 UNITS
    809 SE Missouri State +8.5 SIU Edwardsville
    edited January 2016
    Hope you're heading away from the blizzard.

I did. Not often that heading to upstate NY means getting away from the snow, but it did in this instance. Unfortunately, I returned home to 18 inches of snow, and along with it a son with an strep throat and a daughter with an ear infection. Hasn't been the most fun of weeks in the TommyL household, but the snow is clear and the kids are almost healthy so we're getting there.
    edited January 2016
    Friday, 1/29

876 Harvard -11 Cornell
    edited January 2016
    Saturday, 1/30

520 Florida State -3.5 Clemson
    535 Virginia +6 Louisville
    551 Delaware +10 Towson
    559 Bradley +11 Drake
    566 Miami (Oh) +6 Northern Illinois 1.5 UNITS