Betting Talk

Comments

• Jake T.Jake T. Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    I know the 49ers will be horrible but I can't see Tomsula getting fired this year with all the garbage he'll have to deal with. Plus he was just handpicked by the front office. Seems like he shouldn't be the 4th option.
  • TortugaTortuga Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Gus Bradley seems like an interesting candidate at +1819.
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Without looking at the odds, I have these coaches on the hot seat:

- Joe Philbin,
    Lots of improvements on Offense, but except for the DL, the rest of their defense figures to be well below average.

- Sean Payton,
    Drew Brees figures to be good as usual, but defensively they won't show the expected improvements. Rob Ryan most likely gone after this season. Bottom of the league defense under his tenure. No improvements in sight.

- Tom Coughlin
    Same story as the coaches above. Offense looks to be OK, but the defense just isn't there. Eli Manning is a different quarterback when he has to come from behind. Throws a shitload of interceptions when they abandon the running game.
    edited August 2015
    Obi One wrote: »
    - Tom Coughlin
    Same story as the coaches above. Offense looks to be OK, but the defense just isn't there. Eli Manning is a different quarterback when he has to come from behind. Throws a shitload of interceptions when they abandon the running game.

I agree, but it seems like even with a bad year, he'll be allowed to finish the season and then be strongly suggested to retire.
  • Walt's WharfWalt's Wharf Member
    edited August 2015
    AFC East - Philbin could get canned if the Dolphins start terrible. But they should contend for a playoff spot and be in that 8-8 to 10-6 range. Also, he's a super nice guy and respected by the FO. I think he survives the season.

AFC South - Bradley badly needs to win the opener vs Carolina. If he doesn't, he could be in trouble, because they could easily enter the BYE at 1-6 and then come out of it with B2B road games. Could easily see him getting fired Week 8. Whisenhunt deserves and will get more than two seasons.

AFC North - Everyone seems safe.

AFC West - Everyone seems safe.

NFC East - All are safe except for Gruden. He has a chance to start decent with 3 of first 4 games at home, but none of them will be easy. Seems inevitable that this relationship ends ugly. They should have just put an end to it after Year 1.

NFC North - All are safe.

NFC South - All are safe IMO.

NFC West - Jeff Fisher is a fraud, but looks like he's put together a nice team. They should compete for a playoff spot and seems unlikely that he'll get fired early. 3 of 5 on the road to open the season though, and the two home games are vs Seattle and Pitt. That won't be easy.

Most likely: Gruden, Bradley, Fisher in that order.
    edited August 2015
    Seems like pretty good analysis, Walt. Your post has be considering a Bradley bet -- something I wasn't expecting when I opened this thread.
  • Walt's WharfWalt's Wharf Member
    edited August 2015
    For what it's worth, Gruden isn't even listed as being on the hot seat on the Coaches Hot Seat site. An early firing will be a result of battling with the front office rather than anything that happens on the field imo.

http://coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRankingNFL.htm
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    If the Cincy PR spin didn't label it retirement versus "forced retirement", I'd like to bet Marvin Lewis at a big price. That's hypothetical so I'll go with Jason Garrett. Jerry Jones will need an excuse.
    edited August 2015
    Ronbets wrote: »
    If the Cincy PR spin didn't label it retirement versus "forced retirement", I'd like to bet Marvin Lewis at a big price. That's hypothetical so I'll go with Jason Garrett. Jerry Jones will need an excuse.

It seems like Marvin Lewis has been on the hot seat for about a decade.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Tortuga wrote: »
    It seems like Marvin Lewis has been on the hot seat for about a decade.

The Bengal ownership is very frugal. IOW cheap. They can get away with paying a well tenured coach less than half of what his counterparts receive.

Lewis' post season record is...........skip that

Lewis' second half adjustments were/are.........skip that too.

The guy is the real teflon coach. After all he is a former "G-Man".