Betting Talk

stock market ?

acetotenacetoten Senior Member
edited January 2018 in Sports Betting
This is way off topic but what the heck, this board is almost dead anyway.
I dont keep up with the market much anymore so I'm looking for some suggestions.
One of my children is in high school and each student is starting with 10,000 in play money
to invest in stocks. They get to invest for 3 months and they are going to see who does
the best in the class. It's bragging rights more than anything. Any suggestions?

another assignment in that class is she has to pick one stock and follow it for 6 weeks
and do a report on it. any suggestions on this?

thanks a lot,
ace

Comments

• Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    It's out of Vancouver

MYMMF It was 40 cents two months ago now $2.82 it was $3.18 a week ago. Interesting topic for a high school student. I believe it has decent potential.
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    It's random and 3 months is particularly random. Best idea would be to go high volatility. Try to find some bitcoin related stocks.
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    Actually probably would take the opposite approach and maybe bet on a market correction with the market being goosed sky high. Buy some oil and REITS maybe.
  • munson15munson15 Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    have no idea what will go up or down but on the second part of the assignment, have her follow AT&T, a widely held stock in a highly competitive business that will probably be in the news...I remember this project in 6th grade, it was a lot of fun and got the juices flowing even at that age...
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    She might get kicked out of school--- but, I'd suggest 22nd Century (XXII)--- 2 businesses--- producing low & zero nicotine cigarettes, and many hemp products. Very surprising the many uses for hemp, other than what first comes to mind.
  • crashcrash Member
    edited January 2018
    acetoten wrote: »
    This is way off topic but what the heck, this board is almost dead anyway.
    I dont keep up with the market much anymore so I'm looking for some suggestions.
    One of my children is in high school and each student is starting with 10,000 in play money
    to invest in stocks. They get to invest for 3 months and they are going to see who does
    the best in the class. It's bragging rights more than anything. Any suggestions?

another assignment in that class is she has to pick one stock and follow it for 6 weeks
    and do a report on it. any suggestions on this?

thanks a lot,
    ace

I would nominate Diffusion Pharmaceuticals (DFFN). It's a dollar stock but they have a Phase 3 drug to extend life in patients with glioblastoma and brain cancer. If news comes out that it works, it could be a 10 bagger. It would also make an interesting story for the second part of the class.
  • originalokieoriginalokie Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    Any limit to # of trades?
  • LancerLancer Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    QABA, First Trust NSDQ AVA Community Bank ETF - rates higher, regs & taxes lower, big benefactor.
  • acetotenacetoten Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    no limit to number of trades........... and last night she put orders in on 2 but her bid wasnt high enough to buy either one
    of them and the dffn stock didnt have a bid or ask so she couldnt place an order last night.
    i saw the xxii went up .40 today, should she wait now or go ahead and get in? and the dffn stock will have to be done at school (during
    market hours), i saw it went down to .70. I guess she should still buy it? She will buy the mymmf stock tonight at the ask.
    thanx to all for the advice
    ace
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    The XXII has had a pretty good run in the last month-- especially yesterday-- she might want to put in an order at $3.60 or 3.65. But, it may head higher on Monday.