Betting Talk

Who should Tennessee hire to coach football?

Jake T.Jake T. Senior Member
edited December 2017 in Sports Betting
So, as I understand it... (some of this may be untrue as to facts, going mostly on Twitter beat writers and such and haven't followed up to see if stuff was proven true)

Vols turned down an offered package of Lane Kiffin as HC, Tee Martin as OC, Kevin Steele as DC. Sounds like Kiffin's agent offered it and Vols didn't want to go that route.

Hired Greg Schiano, fans protested, they let him go but sounds like they have to pay a ton of money for his buyout.

Made offer to Jeff Brohm, reports say the sides agreed, Currie went to school and the contract was rejected, offered another contract and Brohm bounced.

Got turned down by Dave Doeren.

Had a deal in place with Mike Leach but old coach Fulmer got with the school, got the deal ripped up, and fired Currie.

Now Fulmer is in charge of the coaching search.

Personally I think ever single person they've brought in, minus possibly Brohm, wouldn't have this team where they want to be at. Hated the Mike Leach hire even though it's the one that fans of the Vols seemed to like the most on Twitter.

Who is left to hire? Where do they go from here?

Fans seems to want Kiffin, but he bounced after a year last time he was here. He's a snake, I wouldn't trust him to stay... but he is talented enough.

Tee Martin is another fan favorite for HC but he's never been an HC so that's too risky for me.

I'm not even sure who is left that would be interested.

Comments

• jimmymojimmymo Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    If I were Tennessee, I would be asking behind the scenes if Jeff Tedford has any interest....I also would not hate Bobby Petrino or even Steve Sarkisian (maybe a stretch)...
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    jimmymo wrote: »
    If I were Tennessee, I would be asking behind the scenes if Jeff Tedford has any interest....I also would not hate Bobby Petrino or even Steve Sarkisian (maybe a stretch)...

I think they've embarrassed themselves enough with this search that they're not getting any big name to go there with everyone knowing they're the 4th, 5th, 6th, whatever choice for a job the fan base thinks is better than it really is. IMO the best thing Tenn can do is take a chance on a young, energetic coach looking to make a name for himself. If they strike out, they strike out, at least this mess would be in the past. And just maybe they strike gold.
  • calzonesayscalzonesays Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    Greg Schiano..wait..
  • MrAdvantageMrAdvantage Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    delusional fan base . they will never win another national title. when people think orange in the south, they think CLEMSON. gg vols fans
  • R40R40 Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    Funny to watch all these teams fire coaches with no alternatives really available. Best Tennessee can do at this point is Sumlin but they'd rather lose than hire him. They are pretty sure to make a worse hire.

Arkansas now hiring a search firm for a coach and AD. Those schools are completely moronic. Arkansas could field a football team and pay the players $50K and come out millions ahead from what they will be spending on Bieliema and the next coach.
  • Jake T.Jake T. Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    jimmymo wrote: »

Don't think Tedford has a chance in hell but I'm super impressed with the quick turnaround at Fresno. They were awful last year and playing for the MWC Championship in a few minutes. Going to lose against my Broncos IMO but it's still one impressive job. Turnarounds like that don't happen by accident. I knew he'd improve the offense but the defensive improvement is even more mindboggling to me.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    What a shit show the whole situation has become
  • bobbyputnambobbyputnam Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    Les Miles is the name getting thrown around the last few days
  • Jake T.Jake T. Senior Member
    edited December 2017
    Sounds like the top name right now is Alabama DC Pruitt.