Betting Talk

could someone explain this ?

acetotenacetoten Senior Member
edited April 2017 in Sports Betting
Is it correct that Boston and cleveland are tied as far as records go ? I know that clev has tiebreaker, but why
would they be resting starters tonight? If they go 1-1 and Boston goes 2-0 in remaining two games Boston gets 1 seed?
I'm confused........

Comments

• Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    Yes they are tied in the standings
    http://www.espn.com/nba/standings

Just look at the amount of minutes LeBron has played this (and all previous seasons). He's been to the playoffs and Finals 6 straight times and aiming for a 7th straight. Dude has simply played 1 full season more than most other players due to all those Finals trips......and is in his 14th year. Besides, with the amount of experience he has, and also the whole team has, apparently they value health over home court.

No need to be confused,
    they have more info about themselves and what they need than you do. Trust them in being able to make the best decision, even if it goes against what you 'expect' a team to do in such situations. Have you never read the pieces on home-court advantage in the NBA? How it isn't the standard -3 points anymore? and hasn't been for quite a while?
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    Good post Obi. It's no longer about the fans, it's all about winning. No wonder the NBA tv ratings were at their lowest for a regular season.
  • acetotenacetoten Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    48 minutes a game, even at 100 games a year, if they play the whole game, you're talking 4800 minutes a year,
    80 hours a year of actual game time. And dont even talk about practice, as Iverson says, were talkin practice, and I dont
    wanna have to hear about travel. I personally think its a disgrace they sit out any games.
    I work 45-50 hours a week delivering year around, driving about 1500 miles a week, not just dropping off,
    but unloading by dolly in many cases and you dont hear me complaining. I'm happy I can work along with my wife
    and can raise 3 children and send them to private school.
    48 hours a year of actual game time, rough life..............
  • MrAdvantageMrAdvantage Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    acetoten wrote: »
    48 minutes a game, even at 100 games a year, if they play the whole game, you're talking 4800 minutes a year,
    80 hours a year of actual game time. And dont even talk about practice, as Iverson says, were talkin practice, and I dont
    wanna have to hear about travel. I personally think its a disgrace they sit out any games.
    I work 45-50 hours a week delivering year around, driving about 1500 miles a week, not just dropping off,
    but unloading by dolly in many cases and you dont hear me complaining. I'm happy I can work along with my wife

I THINK I LOVE U
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited April 2017

If your boss said you could take a handful of days off during the year, and you would still get paid for those days off, would you take them?
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    There's no way to compare the average working man to the professional athlete. It's silly to even try. Are you counting training, meetings, practice's and the pressure of today's player to win at all costs. The Golden St. Warriors won 73 games last year and the fans tell you it was a failure when they gave up a 3-1 lead against Cleveland and didn't win it all. That's pressure and pressure brings stress.

Lets not forget the beatings these guys take under the basket. Many years ago I use to sit behind the knick bench and when the players came out to rest the welts on the arms would blow up before your eyes. That's why there's only 360 professional basket ball players in the world. It's a gift and you shouldn't hate on it. It's also a fact a tired player is more susceptible to injury which could end a career. The league blames the players and the fans blame the players but it's the league who's at fault.

Pick any sport the seasons are way to long. Do you hear anybody complaining when they rest a starting catcher every Sunday or every time there's a day game after a night game. With the conditioning programs they have and gym work the body can just do so much. One last thing what about Flying to different time zones. Yes they get paid well and it's a business and no owner would pay unless they were making it. Cut the season cut the Back to backs and maybe little Johnny will see the star that comes to his town once a year.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    Great post OT
    edited April 2017
    80 hours a year of actual game time.

This is an unreasonable simplification. Try adding, 200 jumps at maximum effort, while also running about 3 miles in different sprints (not 1 long run). Add up the practices and you'll understand that these guys need sleep and recovery time, while traveling different time-zones that totally disrupts their sleeping patterns.
    I personally think its a disgrace they sit out any games.

All studies point to less injuries when the players are given rest and recovery time between games. There even was some correlation found between achilles tears and the 3rd game of a 3-in-4 series. Players want to stay healthy, coaches want their players to stay healthy, owners want their coaches to give their expensive players rest, ....so they can stay healthy. Do you really think they'll sacrifice their knee (or season) for your opinion?

rough life..............

A reporter thought the same thing and decided to join a team on all it's travels for a week........ he was exhausted....after just 1 week. Totally changed his perspective. Can't find the story for you right now, sorry about that. Otherwise I'd have linked to it.
    edited April 2017
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Good post Obi. It's no longer about the fans, it's all about winning. No wonder the NBA tv ratings were at their lowest for a regular season.

It has never been about the fans, only about the fans wallets. Anytime I see a new record breaking multimillion dollar deal reported I'm like: Up go the prices for the fans. Therefore I think it's great that viewership has gone down, not only in the NBA, but also in the MLB and NFL. Hopefully this will lead to lower prices in the future.
  • jmjm Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    I'd rather play the starters another 40 mins and have home court for a game 7 vs the celts in the Eastern Conf Finals
    edited April 2017
    jm wrote: »
    I'd rather play the starters another 40 mins and have home court for a game 7 vs the celts in the Eastern Conf Finals

Cleveland, with injuries and while sleepwalking through the regular season, has a better point differential than Boston. They just put the pedal to the medal and manhandled the Celts a week ago. Boston is too 1-dimensional on offense (Thomas) for them to be a real threat to Cleveland. On the other side, Boston doesn't even have a top 15 defense to counter the very diverse Cleveland offense. A game 7 would greatly surprise me.

Besides, If they thought those 40 minutes were needed, they would have found a way to play 'em. Apparently they don't. This has been my whole point in this thread. A WHOLE organization of professionals has looked at ALL the facts and deemed this resting to be the best decision.....why are you even bothering questioning their decision? You don't even have half the information they have.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Cut the season cut the Back to backs and maybe little Johnny will see the star that comes to his town once a year.

Cut the season? Kidding aren't you? The arenas need the revenue as well as the teams. Suppose that happened. Where is the lost budgeted revenue gonna come from? The Players Union wouldn't let salaries diminish. J.Q. Fan goes for it.
    Commish Silver is on record as saying he wouldn't shorten(games) the season, but start it 7-10 days earlier to eliminate back to backs.
    edited April 2017
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Cut the season? Kidding aren't you? The arenas need the revenue as well as the teams. Suppose that happened. Where is the lost budgeted revenue gonna come from? The Players Union wouldn't let salaries diminish. J.Q. Fan goes for it.
    Commish Silver is on record as saying he wouldn't shorten(games) the season, but start it 7-10 days earlier to eliminate back to backs.

I'm not kidding and people should stop blaming the players for taking time off. I personally only ask that notice be given. If they won't shorten the season then take away the back to backs the ones that on the road and the 3 games in 4 days. Winning championships is all that matters the Golden St 73 win Season has proven that. Teams that win the rings are better rested and healthy and they seem to go hand in hand.
  • blackbullblackbull Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    I will never feel sympathy for someone getting paid millions of dollars to play a game. And hey: it's capitalism so if people are willing to pay, so be it...But when a guy who's breaking his ass working a job he hates decides to spend a large % of his income to take his kid to go see their favorite athlete...and that athlete is sitting on the bench for 48 minutes to get some extra rest...I'm not cool with that. It's his job and if able, he needs to go to work. Injured? Fine. Family Emergency? Fine. Etc. BUT if you are able, go to work. That guy breaking his ass with a blue collar job and watching your games is who is enabling you to become a millionaire by playing a game.

And that goes for coaches too (and I know some personally)...I don't want to hear about how hard they work. They should count their lucky stars that they are so fortunate to get paid to coach a game (and A LOT of them got their job our of mere connections/politics and not by virtue of their exceptional performance).

I work hard too. Work my ass off. Drove myself into the hospital at one point for this dream. You won't hear me complaining about how bad I have it. I make money speculating in sports gaming markets. Pretty friggin' awesome. Enjoy what I do. Yeah, it's non-stop hard work, volatile as hell, etc....but I count my lucky stars...hope I can keep doing it...but everything has an expiration date and this gig is a competitive one. Grateful for the time that I have though, no matter how long or short it will be.

I expect a similar attitude from those athletes and coaches participating in the game. You work hard? So friggin' what? You have injuries, soreness, etc.? Cry me a river and join the club. You play a sport for a living man! Get over yourself, count your blessings, and show up for those who are less fortunate than you are and who just want to vicariously live through your fortune for a couple hours of their pedestrian lives.

(And I get that a team has to compete within the rules of the league, so I'm primarily preaching to the league to change the rules here; but the merits of what I have stated above remain because I've seen too many comments from players and coaches saying how hard they work and how tough they have it. GTFOOH! Go put a ball through a hoop, collect your paycheck, get down on your knees, and thank god you are so blessed.)
    edited April 2017
    blackbull wrote: »
    I will never feel sympathy for someone getting paid millions of dollars to play a game. And hey: it's capitalism so if people are willing to pay, so be it...But when a guy who's breaking his ass working a job he hates decides to spend a large % of his income to take his kid to go see their favorite athlete...and that athlete is sitting on the bench for 48 minutes to get some extra rest...I'm not cool with that. It's his job and if able, he needs to go to work. Injured? Fine. Family Emergency? Fine. Etc. BUT if you are able, go to work. That guy breaking his ass with a blue collar job and watching your games is who is enabling you to become a millionaire by playing a game.

And that goes for coaches too (and I know some personally)...I don't want to hear about how hard they work. They should count their lucky stars that they are so fortunate to get paid to coach a game (and A LOT of them got their job our of mere connections/politics and not by virtue of their exceptional performance).

I work hard too. Work my ass off. Drove myself into the hospital at one point for this dream. You won't hear me complaining about how bad I have it. I make money speculating in sports gaming markets. Pretty friggin' awesome. Enjoy what I do. Yeah, it's non-stop hard work, volatile as hell, etc....but I count my lucky stars...hope I can keep doing it...but everything has an expiration date and this gig is a competitive one. Grateful for the time that I have though, no matter how long or short it will be.

I expect a similar attitude from those athletes and coaches participating in the game. You work hard? So friggin' what? You have injuries, soreness, etc.? Cry me a river and join the club. You play a sport for a living man! Get over yourself, count your blessings, and show up for those who are less fortunate than you are and who just want to vicariously live through your fortune for a couple hours of their pedestrian lives.

(And I get that a team has to compete within the rules of the league, so I'm primarily preaching to the league to change the rules here; but the merits of what I have stated above remain because I've seen too many comments from players and coaches saying how hard they work and how tough they have it. GTFOH! Go put a ball through a hoop, collect your paycheck, get down on your knees, and thank god you are so blessed.)

Hey Bull hope all is well. We should get together soon. Let me ask you a question. Would people feel better if the player said his leg hurts or he has a running nose. There being honest they need rest it's a brutal schedule. I'll say it again notice should be given so everyone knows before hand not the last minute.
  • blackbullblackbull Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Hey Bull hope all is well. We should get together soon. Let me ask you a question. Would people feel better if the player said his leg hurts or he has a running nose. There being honest they need rest it's a brutal schedule. I'll say it again notice should be given so everyone knows before hand not the last minute.

We definitely do my man! Been too long ;) Hope you are well also.

Not going to get on board with you about the "brutal schedule" and how tough they have it though. I remember having brain inflammation, blurred vision, and still yanking out my laptop in a hospital bed in order to input data into some of my models. And I'm no one special. There are plenty of people who would make me look like a complete pussy with the things that they have to overcome everyday in and out of their workplace and lives.

(Adequate notice helps though, I will say that. But given the nature of the game, very hard to do sufficiently; to protect the paying fan that is)