06. Baylor +7.5
    05. NorthWestern +5.5
    04. West Virginia +3
    03. Indiana +7.5
    02. Kansas State +2
    01. South Carolina +10.5
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    So my 10 point pick nets me zero points. Fucking wonderful.
    edited December 2016
    Should almost allow those that pushed to pick another play since it wasnt covered in initial post on how that would be handled.
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    I brought it up on wed , tommy said something about it right after ,20 something posted plays after that ...shame on those that didnt question it before they posted. Its free contest , and had old dom as well, o well.
    I like the getting half the pts if you get a push , next year.
    edited December 2016
    Tortuga wrote: »
    Actually, this contest is great for the player and not so great for the house since it's free to enter and you can win prizes. Also, in this contest, you're not playing against the house. You're playing against everyone else who enter and they're all playing by the same rules.

I do understand the point you're making, though. Maybe we'll do it differently next year, but it's too late now because the rules have already been posted and it would be unfair to make changes now.

You use the rules being posted as your explanation above. However the rules weren't posted about pushes in your initial post. Is Tommy correct when he says a push is no points?

If so why would anyone play a flat line?
  • spiderman77spiderman77 Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    Each game won will be credited the number of points to its corresponding rating.”

That line in the rules does imply that a push yields no points since it is not a win. There’s really no other way to interpret it since it is not explicitly stated elsewhere in the rules.

I’m warming up to jets idea of just having every line be a half point. The lines get stale over time anyway so an extra half point here and there shouldn’t have a huge impact. And everybody is playing against the same lines.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    richhhh wrote: »
    10:NC Central +15.5
    9:Tex San Antonio +7.5
    8:San Diego State +4.5
    7:Arkansas St+6.5

6: UL Lafayette +6.5
    5:Central Michigan +12.5
    4:Memphis +5.5
    3: Idaho +13.5
    2. Wake Forest +12.5
    1. Clemson +3.5

This guy is GOOD!!

You're right spiderman inadvertent. lmfao
  • richhhhrichhhh Junior Member
    edited December 2016
    Ronbets wrote: »
    This guy is GOOD!!

You're right spiderman inadvertent. lmfao

Do not actually follow collage sports. When I first read your post I thought I was perfect . Something seemed odd about the "lmao" So I looked at first game. Disqualified ! I honestly just went down the list and took the teams top down with plus spreads without a push possibility. I assumed games started after the 23rd. Good luck to everyone. This cheater is out! :)
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    Just reading the rules you should have known that Pushes lose. I'm in another confidence pool for cash and with every confidence pool that I've been in half points are always used but with that said the price is right and I really can't believe the balls on people complaining about a contest with no downside. Some even complain after the fact. I play in cash pools and nobody complains and here's a guy who puts out free contests and all I hear is complaints and guess who's leading the charge, Mr. Wonderful. Any other place giving away free prize money if so let me know so I can get in on it. No one should say anything just play and thank the man. because if it was me I give you shit.

Edit: Wow, hope nobody had E.Michigan +4
    edited December 2016
    IMHO
    Due to the fact that it was not covered in rules and the weekly contest counted ties as 1/2 value, I would suggest same here
    Example a #6 pick would equal 3 points
    This seems fair to all
    Free contests are great!!!

No it's not fair the games have already started
    edited December 2016
    cpech56 wrote: »
    You use the rules being posted as your explanation above. However the rules weren't posted about pushes in your initial post. Is Tommy correct when he says a push is no points?

If so why would anyone play a flat line?

You gamble and couldn't figure that out. There's always next year and you could still place and possibly win. Good Luck
  • JMU_DegenerateJMU_Degenerate Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    Let's be honest though... if you picked a team as your #10 (highest) confidence pick, the thing you thought was the biggest lock on the sheet, and it pushed then this just wasn't your year.

In this case it seems reasonable that, for a #10 confidence rating, your pick wasn't very good and got exactly the number of points it deserved (0).
  • JMU_DegenerateJMU_Degenerate Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    If we are proposing potential changes for future years I would propose that we could pick 10 teams (in confidence order) plus two alternates. If you push a game then it is pulled from your list and everything else shifts up and the 1st alternate becomes your #1 (lowest). If you push a second game then this happens again with the second alternate. If you push a third or fourth (etc) then tough luck - be better at winning.
  • h82loseh82lose Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    or just make all the lines with 1/2 points so there are no pushes. gets to complicated for a free contest doing it that way in my opinoin
  • CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    Fuck, I posted 5 hours to late, grrrrr
  • BiggTBiggT Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    Every year that I have been in this, a push is a loss. You would expect nothing else.
  • ct5320ct5320 Senior Member
    edited December 2016
    One of the best things about BT is that there is very little of the bullshit that other forums drown in. But it does make for a bit of a "dry" crowd. Lighten up fellas, this is a fun free contest that the owners of the forum are nice enough to put on for us. Have some fun with it, quit worrying that the rule on pushes may increase the variance factor and decrease the potential edge %. Thanks Ed and crew for putting this on. Happy New Year!
  • waddywaddy Senior Member
    edited January 2017
    ct5320 wrote: »
    One of the best things about BT is that there is very little of the bullshit that other forums drown in. But it does make for a bit of a "dry" crowd. Lighten up fellas, this is a fun free contest that the owners of the forum are nice enough to put on for us. Have some fun with it, quit worrying that the rule on pushes may increase the variance factor and decrease the potential edge %. Thanks Ed and crew for putting this on. Happy New Year!

100% agree.
    Both the football and basketball contest on here are the best.