Betting Talk

Wow, Bo Ryan announces his retirement

Jake T.Jake T. Senior Member
edited December 2015 in Sports Betting
Says him and Barry Alvarez were looking for the right time to pull the trigger and they decided end of semester worked okay.

Comments

• jmjm Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    If it's not health related I don't understand why he couldn't get through the season.

Good luck to the players with finals this week
  • TortugaTortuga Moderator
    edited December 2015
    It wasn't really looking like Wisconsin has a Final Four run in them this year.
  • billcomptonbillcompton Banned
    edited December 2015
    why is this a shock? this was in the works even before season started. he was going to start the season then hand it over to someone.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited December 2015
    jm wrote: »
    If it's not health related I don't understand why he couldn't get through the season.

Sounds like there are two schools of thought here. The first one is that Bo wanted his top assistant (Greg Gard) to get the job, so he did this at a time that forced the schools hand and they have no choice but to give it to him for the rest of the season. The other is that Bo wanted to get out sooner, but his Gard's dad was battling brain cancer and he didn't think the timing was right for him to bail, so he stuck it out until things stabilized for Gard (unfortunately, his dad passed away last month) and feels like now it's ok to walk away.

I've been a huge Bo Ryan fan. People that I've talked to that interact with him have told me that he's exactly the type of guy that you see on TV and that there isn't anything fake about him, just a really genuine guy. And he's also a great x's and o's coach and teacher, as I can't think of any coach that's maximized his team's talent as well as he has over the past decade.
  • odiecabodiecab Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    71% winning percentage in conference play over his career. Best among all coaches in the history of the Big Ten. Keep in mind, Wisconsin is far from any kind hot bed of high school basketball talent. He will be missed!
  • wborder900wborder900 Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    Couldn't agree with you more Tommy. He is a top notch old school coach. He maximize's the talent he has more than any other coach I've seen. Diamond Stone a top recruit did everything he could to try to go to Wisconsin but couldn't get in academically so he goes to Maryland.... a perfect example of what Wisconsin deals with and why they don't get top recruits. Thanks to Bo's coaching they still compete with the best schools out there...

It will be very difficult for Wisconsin to fill his shoes....

TommyL wrote: »
    Sounds like there are two schools of thought here. The first one is that Bo wanted his top assistant (Greg Gard) to get the job, so he did this at a time that forced the schools hand and they have no choice but to give it to him for the rest of the season. The other is that Bo wanted to get out sooner, but his Gard's dad was battling brain cancer and he didn't think the timing was right for him to bail, so he stuck it out until things stabilized for Gard (unfortunately, his dad passed away last month) and feels like now it's ok to walk away.

I've been a huge Bo Ryan fan. People that I've talked to that interact with him have told me that he's exactly the type of guy that you see on TV and that there isn't anything fake about him, just a really genuine guy. And he's also a great x's and o's coach and teacher, as I can't think of any coach that's maximized his team's talent as well as he has over the past decade.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    TommyL wrote: »

^^^^^^This