Betting Talk

Job Thoughts

cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
edited November 2015 in Sports Betting
​Where to start. I know you guys on here are always open to sharing your thoughts on various things whether or not it relates to sports. I also know a lot of you have great jobs and have done very well for yourselves in various industries. I'm at a point in my life where I feel bored. I find myself with a million different ideas running through my head and have no outlet for them.

I dropped out of college my sophomore year and never went back and finished. I jumped around from job to job. I never really found a job I enjoy doing, or found myself being passionate about and excited to do when I wake up. My favorite job was climbing cell phone towers but it became too taxing on my body. I had 3 accidents while climbing where things I couldn't control nearly cost me my life. Moved on from that job.

I got a job shortly after that as the head of maint and custodians at an elementary school here in my hometown. The kids absolutely fell in love with me. The staff loves me but I find myself continually upset at the way a school district is ran. I would hate to leave the kids and move on to something different but I feel like that's ultimately what I'm going to have to do. Besides, the only reason I took the position is because it would allow me to coach football.

Coaching is my passion, I helped do things at our school this year that hadn't been done in 32 years. Sadly those two records I helped break were being the first team to finish off the season with a win, and the other record was for the first multi win season in program history dating back to 1982. We finished 2-7. Both things I am proud of but we still have a long ways to go.

I guess what I'm asking from you guys are career suggestions. I'm 31, I love to travel and I believe I am the hardest working person I know. I'm engaged and will be married in June at our destination wedding.

One thing I thought about recently as just a hobby is interviewing elderly folks. Just asking them questions that their loved ones would like to hear the answers to after they've passed away. I think there's so much knowledge and so many thoughts by a dying generation that are going to go to waste. This wouldn't be a way to make money obviously but would be a great hobby.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what you would do if you were in my situation career wise? I want to find a home with a company and make the most of it. Let me know your thoughts when you guys get a chance.

Thank You-

Comments

• RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    Consider joining the military?? N E branch. Never too late to build a foundation. You might even like it. At 31, they'd still take you.
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Consider joining the military?? N E branch. Never too late to build a foundation. You might even like it. At 31, they'd still take you.

I have put a lot of thought into that Ron. Unfortunately I am 6'2 265 pounds and they said my target weight would have to be closer to 190. I also suffer from Asthma which prevented me from joining out of high school. Not sure if those rules are still the same or not.
    edited November 2015
    Talk to a recruiter. These guys have a quota(written or not) and might push for you. Advice........you better lose some weight and get into shape. You're gonna go to basic training with kids 10 or more years younger. Tuff to keep up outta condition and the DI's will rag the hell outta you.
  • coachcoach Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    cpech56 wrote: »
    ​Where to start. I know you guys on here are always open to sharing your thoughts on various things whether or not it relates to sports. I also know a lot of you have great jobs and have done very well for yourselves in various industries. I'm at a point in my life where I feel bored. I find myself with a million different ideas running through my head and have no outlet for them.

I dropped out of college my sophomore year and never went back and finished. I jumped around from job to job. I never really found a job I enjoy doing, or found myself being passionate about and excited to do when I wake up. My favorite job was climbing cell phone towers but it became too taxing on my body. I had 3 accidents while climbing where things I couldn't control nearly cost me my life. Moved on from that job.

I got a job shortly after that as the head of maint and custodians at an elementary school here in my hometown. The kids absolutely fell in love with me. The staff loves me but I find myself continually upset at the way a school district is ran. I would hate to leave the kids and move on to something different but I feel like that's ultimately what I'm going to have to do. Besides, the only reason I took the position is because it would allow me to coach football.

Coaching is my passion, I helped do things at our school this year that hadn't been done in 32 years. Sadly those two records I helped break were being the first team to finish off the season with a win, and the other record was for the first multi win season in program history dating back to 1982. We finished 2-7. Both things I am proud of but we still have a long ways to go.

I guess what I'm asking from you guys are career suggestions. I'm 31, I love to travel and I believe I am the hardest working person I know. I'm engaged and will be married in June at our destination wedding.

One thing I thought about recently as just a hobby is interviewing elderly folks. Just asking them questions that their loved ones would like to hear the answers to after they've passed away. I think there's so much knowledge and so many thoughts by a dying generation that are going to go to waste. This wouldn't be a way to make money obviously but would be a great hobby.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what you would do if you were in my situation career wise? I want to find a home with a company and make the most of it. Let me know your thoughts when you guys get a chance.

Thank You-

This story sounds familiar lol, I don't comment to often but you say your getting married .... well before you make that big step you better have and idea what you want to pursue...also your still young enough to finish school ... My youngest helped me coach i called him the professional student he had everything going but was bored, same scenario quit go back , quit go back now he wishes he would of finished ...I,m older then 90% on the forum which doesn't make a difference but my advice get your education I'm sure your wife will understand .. And keep coaching ,,, sounds like your having a great time and your a role model for the kids....Good Luck coach
  • buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    Ever thought about opening your own business? I own a vapor distribution company so I talk to a lot of owners of vapor shops. Startup costs are typically under 20k and its a booming industry. Find something you like doing and open your own business. Work on your own schedule and answer to no one.
  • winner_13winner_13 Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    http://www.megagenius.com/ask-mega-genius/

Not sure if I am allowed to link this, please remove if not.
    I have used this option and found it very helpful.
  • DubbsDubbs Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    Find a fire department, and try to get on with them. Best job in the world! Once you get in the state will more than likely pay for you to finish school if you choose, and you will more than likely have a pension, or retirement. Police department isn't a bad option either, but the "public" and media like us firefighters better.
  • originalokieoriginalokie Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    Cpech

Feel your heart

Had golden handcuffs at Ford Motor Company
    Wanted something else
    Opened a few businesses, selling out

I am trying with wife a completely new life in Ecuador
    Happy
    Doing this and that
    Wife volunteering with children

Keeping place in OK

Our philosophy:

Let the adventure begin

Best at whatever you do

PS - All my children are successful, kind, and drug free
    I tried to teach them - Follow your heart

Life here is short
  • kcburghkcburgh Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    winner_13 wrote: »

Not sure if I am allowed to link this, please remove if not.
    I have used this option and found it very helpful.

likewise if links not allowed please delete..but check out some of the Dave Ramsey folks on business/leadership/careers..Acuff is good likewise Miller..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0982986270/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687662&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1433669331&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0YA1A13022WB81GSX8RC
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited November 2015
    Links like these are fine, just no links promoting touts/yourself/anything inappropriate.
  • Casper WareCasper Ware Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    yeah get a government job with a big pension, you will be called a hero and eat for free or half off everywhere.
  • DubbsDubbs Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    yeah get a government job with a big pension, you will be called a hero and eat for free or half off everywhere.

This sounds like a jab? Bitter much?
  • KashmirKashmir Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    Ronbets wrote: »

No way. Don't let the government piss away the rest of your life. They don't give a shit about you.
    edited November 2015
    Kashmir wrote: »
    No way. Don't let the government piss away the rest of your life. They don't give a shit about you.

Who's talking about being a lifer? 4 years doesn't constitute a life span. Get out and the GI Bill pays for a good chunk of your college tuition. It guarantees a home loan and free health insurance for the rest of your life.

Btw Kashmir, how many civilian companies give a damn about you? If you're lucky, the ppl that root unconditionally for you are your parents and family.
  • KashmirKashmir Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    I stand by my comments. Not worth risking your life for a few years of college. Or even worse becoming injured and not being able to work and then treated like shit by your government. Benefits do not outweigh the risk. Not to mention all the immoral activities we are involved in.
  • winner_13winner_13 Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    Ask the smartest person in the world.

I don't know where I would be without this option and the lectures.
    Email me if you want info/lectures.
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    Coach, I appreciate the kind words. I've often times thought a lot about going back to college. I went back 2 other times after quitting. One was for a college for working adults and it wasn't that it was too hard or anything. I just simply don't know what to go back to college for. I am passionate about things in life but most seem to just be hobbies. Like Sportsbetting, Church, Coaching Football and a few others. Just nothing I could really go back to school for with those things. I could see myself teaching but every single teacher or principal I've met over the last 3 years working here at school have told me not to waste my time. They say the new CORE way of teaching is ruining it for kids and making it harder for staffs. Combined that with a 42K salary and they pretty much talked me out of it. I just wish something would pop out to me and strike me as my purpose in life, sadly after 31 years that hasn't happened yet.

Buckeyes, I have thought about opening my own business and to be honest with you this is something that sounds right up my alley. I find myself thinking of ideas all the time. I've had many invention ideas as well. I actually won my 9th grade invention convention and went on to win state and place 2nd nationally. Failed to patent my invention and I shit you not, 6 weeks after the National competition the exact thing I invented made it main stream. Just my luck! Here in Iowa the Vape shops are everywhere, the town I live in is a suburb of Des Moines and it's getting huge. We average 8 new people a day here. We only have 1 vape shop that I know of. I'd have to look into how all the ones around Des Moines are getting their supplies. I know that when I used to work for Fed Ex I would deliver them stuff all the time from suppliers so I would imagine these were coming from out of state. It's stuff like this that really intrigues me because I can really see myself starting something like that.

Winner- I'm not entirely sure what that site is you posted, I checked it out on my phone and I'm not sure if its just the format on my phone or what but I don't quite understand it. If it's something that works and you'd like to share examples of how it worked for you that'd be awesome. I would love to take a few minutes to look at it. Thanks for helping out.

Dubbs- It's funny you mention the Fire Department. I currently work for a school district so I'm getting IPERS, which is the Iowa Pension Plan. Combine that with the phenomenal insurance and they are single handily the 2 reasons I haven't quit yet. It's going to be tough to find this good of insurance and retirement anywhere else. I just hate that I have to feel miserable throughout the working day to earn those two things. I actually applied to become a police officer about 4 years ago. My father is a Polk County Sheriff so the ties to the Polk County Sheriffs Department run pretty deep. However, during my physical aptitude test my heart went out of place. They ended up having to shock it back into place, combine that with the failed polygraph test and I felt like such a failure and embarrassment to my father that I never tried again.

Okie, Very wise words to live by my friend. I know I was disrespectful to you at times on here in the past. I apologize for that, it was back when I thought I had some sort of an internet persona I needed to uphold. You sound like a great Father to your kids and that's surely something to be proud of. Thank You

KC- Thanks for the Dave Ramsey advice man. Many of you know about 6 years ago now I was battling a gambling addiction. Part of the process to get back what I had lost financially was to follow his money makeover. It helped out tremendously and I'm forever grateful. Appreciate the suggestion.

Casper and Kashmir- The military ties run deep in my family. Both Grandpa's, my brother, and many cousins all have spent time in the military. Currently my brother is in the final few months of training to be a part of Delta Force. A training process that started nearly 18 months ago with over 600 people and it's down to the final 24. 12 of which will make it. I've seen the determination he's put in to get to this point and it makes me proud. I know many people have thoughts about the government and how unhelpful they are when it comes to caring for military members. Currently we have 1.74 million Veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan and 1/3 of them are suffering from PTSD they haven't been treated for because of lack of funding. Combine that with the number of homeless Veterans and you guys have valid points. My pride for this country is too high though and the military is something I wish I would've been able to do back when i was 18.

I really appreciate everyone's responses. I failed to mention that I have severe ADHD and that was a large part of the reason I jump from job to job. I just recently began treatment for it as well as anxiety/depression and the medications seem to be working miracles. My performance at work has turned upside down. I am more organized than I've ever been as well. I think a lot of this is coming out now because I am finally realizing that I'm ready to figure out what I want to do the rest of my life. I just haven't figured out what that is or how to get it yet.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited November 2015
    "I could see myself teaching but every single teacher or principal I've met over the last 3 years working here at school have told me not to waste my time. They say the new CORE way of teaching is ruining it for kids and making it harder for staffs. Combined that with a 42K salary and they pretty much talked me out of it."

As the husband of a teacher of 15 years, you were given good advice there. Teaching was my original backup plan if sports betting didn't work out (we're talking 10-15 years ago). It would not have been if things then were how they are now.

Best of luck in your quest.
  • PeayManiaPeayMania Senior Member
    edited November 2015
    I am in a similar boat right now as I am not getting the fulfillment I want out of my job. I do pharma right now and while the salary and benefits are great, I'm not sure I can see myself doing this in the future. I coach basketball in middle school as well as high school and thoroughly enjoy coaching and being around these young men. I have a passion for molding these kids into young men and using sports as the vessel.

I'm leaning to going back to school to get the proper certifications/degree to become a counselor. It would allow me to keep a connection with students and help them grow or deal with issues they may have in their life. Plus it would allow me to keep coaching. I'm not sure if you have thought about this direction or not but it's a thought. The one down side I have seen with the route and the reason I haven't already done this is that I've been told that these jobs can be hard to come by.

Good luck with whatever you decide.