Betting Talk

Underrated great players no one talks about anymore

Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
edited May 2015 in Sports Betting
First I would like to say this was stolen but I think it's a great topic and will bring back many memories for the young and old.

Was thinking about most underrated players of all time in the NBA .... and I don't mean players like Moses Malone or Patrick Ewing who people will still talk about today but who I think were underappreciated .. I mean either of those two would be the most dominant player in todays game...Moses one of my alltime favorites ... I mean really good players no one ever talks about anymore. A couple from me ..

I'll start will

Gail Goodrich
Dave Cowens (Who played Center bigger then his listed size of 6'9" which was in question)

Comments

• MrAdvantageMrAdvantage Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Cedric "cornbred" Maxwell
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Nate Thurmond
    Lou Hudson
    Hondo Havlicek
    Hal Greer
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Dennis Johnson was very underrated, all the praise went to Bird, McHale, and Parish, and rightfully so as those guys are all HOFers, but DJ was the glue for those Celtic teams, he was a great defender and even though he wasn't a great shooter, it seemed like he would always come up big in the playoffs. Larry Bird once said DJ was the best teammate he ever played with, coming from Larry Legend, that's some pretty high praise
  • StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    ^^^

First guy that came to my mind reading original post was Hal Greer. Then scroll down. Bang. Certainly should be talked about.
  • Brooklyn32Brooklyn32 Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Dave Debusschere
    Wes Unseld
    Maurice Lucas
    Pete Maravich
    edited May 2015
    Agree with "Big Red" Cowens. Tuff kid when the game was played closer to the hoop.
    Wes Unseld might be the winner so far. However Brooklyn32, Piston Pete might not do it here.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    The big "E", Elvin Hayes
    Artis Gilmore
    Tiny Archibald
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Sidney Moncreif
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    I thought of a few more

Alex English
    Adrian Dantley
    Bernard King
    Larry Nance
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Sidney Moncreif

I was never a Bucks fan, but I enjoyed watching Sid "the squid" play, if I remember correctly his career was cut short due to injury, great choice Bucky
    edited May 2015
    George "Ice Man" Gervin
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    There was this basketball league and one of the places in would play sometimes was in lower Manhattan by Delancy St and it was a very tough hood and the way us kids from Brooklyn knew about that place was our Mothers would take us there every year for school clothes. It was like an outdoor swap meet where everything was cheap and you got your school stuff.

The games there were very serious with refs and many stars came out of that league and I use to go down to watch on occasion and on one of teams was Tiny Archibald and you knew a college would pick him up he was great to watch. He was on a team from the South Bronx that would travel to that area.

Well the reason I bring that up is because you would hear stories about a kid that was to young at that time to play in the league and after the games were done would go across the street where the school yard was and would shot hoops with his brother for hours and hours that people who lived next door would complain that 2am in the morning these two kids just kept on playing and that kids name was Bernard King. One Great ballplayer.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Ronbets wrote: »
    George "Ice Man" Gervin

Great player, but in the spirit of the thread, he doesn't seem like someone who's thought of as underrated and not talked about
    edited May 2015
    "The Bernie and Ernie Show" @Tenn was quite a talented act.
    OT, my mom would buy my clothes there and Orchard St. Those were the days when guns weren't a big part of our culture. Wander into a bad neighborhood and might get bruised up not shot up.
    edited May 2015
    kane wrote: »
    Great player, but in the spirit of the thread, he doesn't seem like someone who's thought of as underrated and not talked about

Considering the small market(SA) he played in, he didn't get the deserved recognition then and now. Remember he spent many seasons hidden in the ABA.
  • buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Mark Aguirre
    Rick Barry
    George McGinnis
    Bobby Jones
    Michael Cooper
  • LatchdogLatchdog Member
    edited May 2015
    Jamaal Wilkes
    Joe Dumars
    Jerry Sloan