Betting Talk

Masters thoughts

2sportguy2sportguy Senior Member
edited April 2015 in Sports Betting
In 10 years from now the winning score will be - 30 .........With a 90 player field.

Of all the major championship setups the PGA championship is by far the best.

If the Masters was in august there would be so much less hype.

The announcers for the Masters suck, its play by play of one shot followed by how beautiful the flowers and trees are for the next 60 seconds.

Get the uncompetitive losers out of the field.

Grow some rough. If you miss a fairways thats 80 yards wide you should be punished severely.

So yes Im not a huge fan, would rather watch The Players at Sawgrass than the Masters any day of the year.

Comments

• newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    IMO it doesn't get any better than the masters... period.
  • MrAdvantageMrAdvantage Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    the announcers do suck and are wayyyy overly dramatic, but come on , its the Masters
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    The winning score last year was only -8 and really hasnt increased much over the last 20 years. To say they'll be shooting -30 is quite the stretch imo
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited April 2015
    I disagree with pretty much everything in the original post.

I remember 18 years ago people worrying that the Masters winner would be -30 in a few years, and between some course changes and the slowing down of some technological advancements, here we are 18 years later and no one has still bettered Tiger's score from 1997. If they want to make the course tougher, they can (firm up the green, some tougher pins, a little more rough, lengthen a few more holes and add a few more trees, a little more rough, etc).

My favorite major set-ups are the Masters and US Open (for different reasons). To be honest, I'd rank the PGA a clear 4th when it comes to majors (not due to the set-up as much as other factors).

The hype for the Masters would be just as big if you put it anywhere else during the 52 weeks of the year. The placement on the calendar has nothing at all to do with it IMO.

I think the Masters has the best announcing squad of any event all season. I like the CBS crew a lot better than ESPN or NBC, and my only gripes with CBS are usually Gary McCord and the fact that I need to watch Peter Kostis analyze every other swing all day long. Cutting both of those out makes it a great broadcast, as I think we see a lot more actual golf than we see in any other US broadcast (it's a lot more like the BBC broadcasts of the British or any of the Euro PGA broadcasts that you see on the Golf Channel in the mornings).

The "uncompetitive losers" are one of the things that make the Masters special (and those guys are far from "losers"). Whether it be the former champs or the Amateurs, they add an element to the tournament that you don't see anywhere else. This reminds me of the (get rid of the auto-bids from the NCAA Tournament and just invite the 64 "best" teams argument, where it gets rid of a lot of what makes the event special).
  • jammerjammer Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Billy Andrade was saying there was a lot of rain leading up to the Masters making the greens soft, plus no wind at all, made for ideal scoring conditions. Fairways are wide, and even if you miss the fairway, being in the first cut of rough is not a big deal. A guy can have a bad driving day and still score. As far as announcing goes, anytime Johnny Miller is not involved, I'm good.
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    People said the same thing when tiger won at -18 and since then we've had an over par winner (Z. Johnson in 2007 won at +1). They will adjust the course as necessary. Masters is much more entertaining when there are possible birdies than the US Open where the USGA wants no one to break par.
  • BayOceanBayOcean Senior Member
    edited April 2015
    Heard a wonderful interview on Sirius Radio last weekend- Gary Player was being interviewed and I came away in awe of this man and his way of life! He is a rock of confidence and determination. His advice is "the more I practice the luckier I get". His memories of the best ball striker and player he played against and with was BEN HOGAN. Ben Hogan was on a par 3 tee and his caddie told him to aim for the branch overhanging in back of the green as a aiming mark and Hogan said "which leaf".