Betting Talk

2014 College Football Team Totals

helmuthelmut Senior Member
edited December 2014 in Sports Betting
YTD 0-0

104 Georgia Southern (TT) UNDER 39.5

Going back the last five seasons in games against teams in the Southern Conference and this year’s one Sun Belt conference game the Eagles have only gone over this number 4 out of 42 games. The same thing can be said about Appalachian St. defense with only 3 out of 40 games has the opponent gone over this number. The previous five games against Appalachian St. the Eagles have scored 16, 21, 17, 18, 14. Even though Georgia Southern has a new coach and the offense has been very productive this season, I think these teams are familiar with each other and I just don’t think the scoring is going to come as easy for this Georgia Southern team.

Comments

• helmuthelmut Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    115 Minnesota (TT) UNDER 14.5

It is no secret how bad the Gopher passing game is but basically it is to the level where they have been reduced to running it nearly every down. Obviously they are going to take a few more chances on offense in this game. But recent history has not been kind to the Gophers when they face teams that can stop the run. Here is the scoring dating back to the start of the 2013 season from the Gopher offense against top 25 rush defenses, 7 against Iowa, 7 against Wisconsin, 3 against Michigan St, 17 against Syracuse, 7 against TCU. Michigan has plenty of issues but the run defense is not one of them currently #9 in the league and have held last three opponents to under 100 yards rushing. Last year’s game only had 114 total plays and this year’s game should be another low possession game.

118 Indiana (TT) OVER 37

I have Indiana the fastest paced team in the league running an average of 166 ppg while Maryland is well in the upper half so there should plenty of possessions for Indiana in this game. The Hoosiers have only played one home game this season and fairly easily win beating Indiana St. by running the ball nearly every play and did not light up the score board like they had done the year before. Last season in home games the Hoosier offense was very productive scoring an average of 46 ppg. Also they scored over this number in every conference home game. The Terps defense is hurting with a lot of injuries has been pretty awful the last two games giving up 694 yds to West Virginia and 589 yds to Syracuse. I have little doubt that the Hoosiers can move the ball hopefully they can minimize some of the dumb things they do on offense at times.

160 Southern Miss (TT) UNDER 25

I’m not sure why anyone would want to bet on this Southern Miss offense right now. In their last 28 games they have only gone over this number 3 times in regulation time. Twice in meaningless end of the season games against shitty teams and the other against a SWAC team Alcorn St. Statistically the Owl defense looks awful, but keep in mind they have played Notre Dame, Texas A&M and an Old Dominion team that is not highly ranked but very good on offense. Last season the Owl defense allowed an average of 20.2 ppg in conference games which was one of the better defenses. The Golden Eagles have a new coach and different offense this year but still I think they have a long ways to go yet.
    edited October 2014
    YTD 2-2

353 Ball St. (TT) UNDER 28

The Cardinal offense is not close to what is was in years past. The team appears to be a little more run oriented with the new QB. It is suppose to rain during the game today so maybe we get even more running. The Cardinal have a very bad run defense and I think Army can control the ball and keep it away from the Cardinal offense. They have had a hard time reaching this total against bad teams. Hard to think they can do it in rainy conditions in what should be a game that has the clock running quite a bit.
    edited October 2014
    YTD 3-2

135 Buffalo (TT) OVER 36.5

Here we have a matchup of a fairly decent offense against a really bad defense. Buffalo has done a great job running the ball the last two games gaining well over 200 yds in each and get to face one of the worst run defenses in the league. Buffalo has shown it is capable of moving the ball through the air as well. Going back to the start of the 2013 season EMU defense has allowed FBS opponents to score an average of 47 ppg. If anything has changed with this EMU team from last year to this year its that maybe the offense has got worse. Last four games the offense has produced 125, 215, 135, 279 yds. While Buffalo defense is not the greatest I think they can get some stops here, which should result in more possessions for their offense.

174 Clemson (TT) UNDER 29

The Cardinals have the number one run defense in the league and the pass defense is in the top 20 as well. They have held all six opponents this season to under 300 yds in total offense. Only 1/19 opponents were able to score more than this number on them going back to the start of the 2013 season. While the Tigers do have a fairly good offense most of those big numbers were put up against bad teams. The Tiger offense did not do much against FSU and Georgia. I just don’t think they’re going to be able to do much here against statistically the best defense in the league. Also the Tigers have some injuries along the offense line which could have a negative effect on the offense.

179 Idaho (TT) OVER 21

The Vandal offense has had no issues moving the ball this season. They played five games this season and have topped 400 yards in 4/5 games. Most of the yards have come through the air behind freshman QB Linehan, who is #11 in the league in passing yardage. I thought the Georgia Southern defense was a little suspect last week in defending the pass as New Mexicio St. moved the ball up and down the field on them. Overall I’m not sure that Georgia Southern defense is really that good. FBS opponents are averaging 429 yards against them this season. I think Idaho offense is much better than NMST offense and if the Aggies could move the ball with relative ease I got to think the Vandals can as well.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    2nd Half Alert
    Clemson starting QB knocked outta game. 2nd stringer struggling.
    edited October 2014
    YTD 5-3

371 Colorado (TT) OVER 20.5

The Buffalos have been over 400 yards of total offense their last five games. The QB Liufau is having a very nice year as well, fourth in the nation in TD passes. The guy actually has better numbers than some of those other big names like Petty or Marriota. The Trojans pass defense looks a little suspect to me. They are #93 in the nation and last two games have allowed more than 900 passing yards. Other than the first game of the season the Buffalos have been over this number.

314 Florida International (TT) UNDER 17

The Panthers have scored some points this year but I’m just not that convinced that FIU offense is really that good. The games in which they scored points a lot of those points were generated by short drives off turnovers or TD’s by the defense.

25 pts against Pittsburgh (2 pts on safety, 1 TD on drive started at Pitt 36, 1 TD from drive started at Pitt 6)
    34 pts against UAB (2 TD’s on scores by the defense, 6 pts from drives starting inside UAB 15 yd line)
    34 pts against FAU (1 TD from drive started at FAU 18, 1 TD by defense)

FIU offense did move the ball very well on FAU but the Owls defense is not any good. FAU defense is #110 against the run and #100 against the pass. Last year FIU had a team total of 10 in this game and this year it is 7 pts higher with an offense that is about statistically the same as last year. Marshall’s offense gets all the attention but their defense is pretty good as well.

320 Ohio (TT) UNDER 20

The only two games this season where the Ohio offense has done anything were against an FCS school with a bad defense in Eastern Illinois and Idaho who has the #115 ranked defense, which is actually probably even worse than this considering they have played all Sun Belt and MAC opponents. The two decent defenses the Bobcats played in Kentucky and Central Michigan they scored a total of 13 combined points. They are down to the backup QB JD Sprague and he is not even completing 50% of his passes. Akron has one of the better defenses in the MAC and I just can’t see a team that has had trouble all year on offense doing much scoring.

362 Oregon (TT) UNDER 42.5

Outside of the one game the Huskies had against Eastern Washington the defense has been outstanding. There have been quite a few teams with good pass offenses that really didn’t do a whole lot. The Husky defense seems to be getting better as the season goes on. The Ducks on offense just don’t look quite as potent has they have in the past. They have had issues running the ball and the statically have seen a pretty good drop off from the previous years. Chris Peterson has had pretty good success against Oregon (2-0 lifetime) and just hard for me to believe that the Huskies come in this game unprepared for what Oregon does.

344 Air Force (TT) OVER 33

The Lobos have the 2nd to last defense against the run and really haven’t played that strong of a schedule. I also like the fact that the Falcons can throw the ball a bit unlike some of these other option teams. Four out of the last five games in this series the Falcon offense has topped this number. Also the Falcons like to play with some pace which should result in a few more plays than your typical option team.
    edited October 2014
    YTD 8-5

106 East Carolina (TT) UNDER 41.5

The Huskies offense is about as bad as it gets but the defense is actually very good. In the first game of the season BYU offense did some damage but ever since that game they have been rock solid only yielding 300, 292, 271, 272, 302 total yards. In the last three years the defense has only allowed 1/30 opponents to get over this number. The Huskies also play at the slowest tempo in FBS which can only help here. I also think ECU offense may be over achieving a bit since they have played a lot of bad defenses this year. North Carolina Central they are no good, South Carolina defense is way down this year and struggling, North Carolina defense is about as bad as it gets, SMU defense is dead last in the league.
  • TiddydatitanTiddydatitan Member
    edited October 2014
    helmut wrote: »
    YTD 8-5

106 East Carolina (TT) UNDER 41.5

The Huskies offense is about as bad as it gets but the defense is actually very good. In the first game of the season BYU offense did some damage but ever since that game they have been rock solid only yielding 300, 292, 271, 272, 302 total yards. In the last three years the defense has only allowed 1/30 opponents to get over this number. The Huskies also play at the slowest tempo in FBS which can only help here. I also think ECU offense may be over achieving a bit since they have played a lot of bad defenses this year. North Carolina Central they are no good, South Carolina defense is way down this year and struggling, North Carolina defense is about as bad as it gets, SMU defense is dead last in the league.

You realize UConn did give up 36 to Temple at home? Also, Boise and BYU came really close in Conn. to putting up 41. ECU is coming off a bye, playing at night, and knows that this is their night to make an impression...I am on the other side of this one

Good luck.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited October 2014
    You realize UConn did give up 36 to Temple at home? Also, Boise and BYU came really close in Conn. to putting up 41. ECU is coming off a bye, playing at night, and knows that this is their night to make an impression...I am on the other side of this one

Good luck.

16 of Temple's 36 points were scored by the defense, so tough to use that as a knock on UConn's D.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited October 2014

Good luck.

You must not be too familiar with Helmut, or you'd know that he already realizes all that you mentioned and much more.
    edited October 2014
    119 Northern Illinois (TT) OVER 40.5

I really think EMU has very little chance to slow this offense down. The Huskies have no problems with putting up big numbers against these bad teams with bad defenses. The last five games in this series the Huskies have scored an average of 59 ppg. I also like the fact that the Huskies are good at running the ball (#15 rush offense) and the Eagles are not good at stopping the run (#121 run defense). Also like the fact that EMU offense is terrible and even though NIU defense has given up some yards most of it has been through the air and the EMU quarterback is averaging barely over 100 yards passing per game. So the NIU defense should be able to get some 3 and outs here.

142 Wisconsin (TT) OVER 34

Throw out the first two weeks of the season when the Terrapins defense was against a couple of bad offenses and it will be hard pressed to find a defense any worse than this. Over the last five games they have allowed an average of 516total yards per game. Their run defense is a little leaky too as they are allowing opponents 4.75 yards per rush attempt over this span. It is a little scary supporting the Badgers offense this season considering the horrible play from the QB position but even with that said they have the #2 rush offense in the league and figure to have some success on the ground against a defense not really that good at stopping the run. We don’t need the Badger QB’s to be great to win this bet just need them to be good game managers and not turn the ball over.

166 Tennessee (TT) UNDER 14

The Vol’s offense has not had much success against Alabama the last five years scoring a meager 10, 10, 6, 13, 10 pts in these five games. The Vol’s cannot run the ball this year and the Tide has the #2 run defense. I don’t think Worley is that great of a QB. He has really struggled in games against opponents with good defenses, 7 ints, 1 TD’s and 597 passing yards in games against Ole Miss, Oklahoma and Florida. The Tide defense has been great all season the only two teams that scored any points on them were WVU and they have a pretty good offense and Ole Miss who is the #3 team in the country and its not exactly like they lit the scoreboard up each scoring 23. The other team that scored over 20 was Florida and keep in mind the three TD’s came from a 31 yd TD drive, a 16 yd TD drive and a fumble return for a TD.

178 Georgia St. (TT) OVER 24

I have been against Georgia Southern defense quite a few times this year. Their pass defense has not been that great and teams that can move the ball through the air have done some damage. Georgia St. has the #21 pass offense in the league and have been over this total 5/7 games this season with the only two misses coming against Washington and Arkansas St. which each have much better defense than Georgia Southern.
    edited October 2014
    119 Northern Illinois (TT) OVER 41

I really think EMU has very little chance to slow this offense down. The Huskies have no problems with putting up big numbers against these bad teams with bad defenses. The last five games in this series the Huskies have scored an average of 59 ppg. I also like the fact that the Huskies are good at running the ball (#15 rush offense) and the Eagles are not good at stopping the run (#121 run defense). Also like the fact that EMU offense is terrible and even though NIU defense has given up some yards most of it has been through the air and the EMU quarterback is averaging barely over 100 yards passing per game. So the NIU defense should be able to get some 3 and outs here.

142 Wisconsin (TT) OVER 33.5

Throw out the first two weeks of the season when the Terrapins defense was against a couple of bad offenses and it will be hard pressed to find a defense any worse than this. Over the last five games they have allowed an average of 516total yards per game. Their run defense is a little leaky too as they are allowing opponents 4.75 yards per rush attempt over this span. It is a little scary supporting the Badgers offense this season considering the horrible play from the QB position but even with that said they have the #2 rush offense in the league and figure to have some success on the ground against a defense not really that good at stopping the run. We don’t need the Badger QB’s to be great to win this bet just need them to be good game managers and not turn the ball over.

166 Tennessee (TT) UNDER 14

The Vol’s offense has not had much success against Alabama the last five years scoring a meager 10, 10, 6, 13, 10 pts in these five games. The Vol’s cannot run the ball this year and the Tide has the #2 run defense. I don’t think Worley is that great of a QB. He has really struggled in games against opponents with good defenses, 7 ints, 1 TD’s and 597 passing yards in games against Ole Miss, Oklahoma and Florida. The Tide defense has been great all season the only two teams that scored any points on them were WVU and they have a pretty good offense and Ole Miss who is the #3 team in the country and its not exactly like they lit the scoreboard up each scoring 23. The other team that scored over 20 was Florida and keep in mind the three TD’s came from a 31 yd TD drive, a 16 yd TD drive and a fumble return for a TD.

178 Georgia St. (TT) OVER 24

I have been against Georgia Southern defense quite a few times this year. Their pass defense has not been that great and teams that can move the ball through the air have done some damage. Georgia St. has the #21 pass offense in the league and have been over this total 5/7 games this season with the only two misses coming against Washington and Arkansas St. which each have much better defense than Georgia Southern.
  • TiddydatitanTiddydatitan Member
    edited October 2014
    I stand corrected. GOOD PLAY.
    edited November 2014
    YTD 11-7

369 Indiana (TT) UNDER 23

I really think now that the Hoosiers are down to their 3rd string quarterback that the offense is going to be scaled back a bit. The starting QB Studfeld was hurt early in the game against Iowa and since he went out which is almost two full games Indiana QB’s have passed for 42 yards. Also it looks like they don’t play as fast as they used to with Studfeld. I’m sure that they will give their stud RB plenty of carries and Michigan has a pretty good run defense. Also Michigan pace wise is one of the slowest in the league so we should have the clock running quite a bit in this game.

364 Oregon (TT) UNDER 31.5

The Cardinal have held 31 straight opponents under this number. This is kind of remarkable when they play in a conference with many of their opponents having some of the top offenses in the league. This year it is no different with the Cardinal defense. They are #4 against the pass and #5 against the run. The last two games in this series the Ducks have not come close to sniffing this number.

399 New Mexico (TT) OVER 30.5

The Rebels have only held one FBS opponent under this total this season and that was Fresno who ended up with just under this number with 27. The Lobo’s have done well running against these teams with bad run defenses this year. They gained 410 against UTEP, 432 against NMST , 285 against Fresno. They should be able to have another good running day against UNLV who sports the #124 run defense.
    edited November 2014
    YTD 13-8

102 Akron (TT) UNDER 32

Sure the Falcon defense is not very good but with their uptempo offense they been playing games with close to 200 plays at times this season. In their last three games the defense has done fairly well allowing 26, 13, 35 pts. I don’t think that will be the case tonight as Bowden does not appear to want to air it out and play a high scoring game from this comment. With quarterback Kyle Pohl returns after being out two games with a head injury, look for a conservative game plan with the Zips trying to mix in plenty of runs to go with some pass attempts. “I think that’s the best strategy for us right now. There will be a time when offense showcases,” Bowden said. It’s not like the Zips offense was really ever that high scoring to begin with. The Zips have played 25 consecutive games against FBS opponents under this number. We have a pretty good chance of rain tonight which certainly is not going to help the Zips offense.
  • bluejakebluejake Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    Hemut, Thank You for sharing, a great way to start the week off. Enjoy your write ups.
    edited November 2014
    YTD 14-8

113 Memphis (TT) OVER 28

The Tigers have pretty much easily been over this number every game this season other than the game against Ole Miss where they were over matched and up against a really good defense and the other game that didn’t go over this number was against Houston which has the #14 defense in the league. The Tigers run the ball very well and the Owls not that good at stopping it. Even though the Owls held the highly rated ECU offense to 10 pts last weekend the Pirates did move the ball fairly well but kept shooting themselves in the foot with turnover after turnover. The Owl defense has done OK this season but they have benefited from playing lots of games against really bad offenses… Vanderbilt #119, Connecticut #122, Central Florida #112, Houston #91, Delaware St. (second to last in FCS). Not real sure why the total is trending down? Maybe weather related but I see no forecast for high winds or rain in tonight’s game.
    edited November 2014
    YTD 14-9

118 Indiana (TT) UNDER 20

With all the injuries to the Hoosier quarterbacks this season I think this once great offense has been reduce to one of the worst ones in the league. The coaching staff obviously does not trust this Diamond kid to throw the ball. Only 8 passes attempted in the last game and just a mere 35 yards passing in the last two games. Not a good week to be going up against the #1 run defense in the league when you got no passing game. Also the Hoosiers are not playing with any kind of pace anymore.

179 Georgia Southern (TT) OVER 38

The Eagles have had zero issues moving the ball on the ground this season. Since moving into conference play no one has come even close to stopping them. The Bobcats have the #111 rush defense in the league and may actually be worse than were they are position on the run defense rankings since they played quite a few opponents that don’t like to run. The Eagles defense has been vulnerable to the pass at times this year but the run defense has been very good. The Bobcats are pretty much a run oriented team and I think the Eagles defense should be able to get some stops.
    edited November 2014
    YTD 15-10

337 Indiana (TT) UNDER 24.5

I see no reason to quit going against the Hoosier offense. They have now played 3.75 games with their third and fourth string quarterbacks and during this stretch they have scored a grand total of 41 pts. The production from the QB position is about as bad as I have ever seen. During the last four games the QB’s are 29-70-5 with just 204 passing yards. Even though their running game is fairly decent it has become much easier for the defenses to defend the run when there is no threat of the pass. Before Studfeld was injured the Hoosiers averaged close to300 yards rushing per game and the last three they are down to 178 yards per game.

367 Auburn (TT) OVER 33

The Tigers have lost a couple of games this season but it is through no fault of the offense. During the Malzahn era the Tigers are 16-6 against their posted team total. The Tigers are #6 in the league with 7.007 ypp despite playing one of the toughest schedules in the league. The Georgia defense has been getting gashed the last few weeks via the run. The Gators put 418 on them and this last week Kentucky hit them for 214. Last year the Tigers had 323 rushing yards against Georgia and I think there is a good chance for the same kind of success this year. I think we get a little break on this number because of the loss last week against A&M and in that game they put up a ton of yards but it was the three turnovers that killed them.

399 Michigan St. (TT) OVER 34.5

The Spartans have been over this number all but two games this season and both games were against highly ranked teams. Their offense has been consistently good all season averaging over 500 total yards per game with the poorest effort of 422 yards against Nebraska in the rain. The Terrapins defense has not been very good this year. They are near the bottom in both run and pass defense and when they have stepped up in class their defense has been smoked. West Virginia scored 40, Ohio St. scored 52, Wisconsin scored 52 and all of this point production was legitimate as each team had well over 500 yards of total offense.
    edited November 2014
    YTD 17-11

156 Illinois (TT) UNDER 19.5

Early in the season the Illini offense was halfway decent but in the second half of the year the production has really fallen off. The rushing offense has been bad all year and the only thing they had going was that they could throw the ball a little bit but that is not even working anymore. The last four games they have failed to reach 150 passing yards. The Lion defense has held 9/10 opponents to under 300 total yards. They are #1 against the run and #16 against the pass. I don’t think an offense that has been really struggling is going to have a lot of success against this defense.

173 Oklahoma St. (TT) UNDER 18.5

The Cowboys have some issues at QB and starter Garmen may have to sit this one out. Its probably better that he plays as I think the redshirt guy is probably better. The Cowboy offense has been pretty bad for quite a while now. Just 9, 10, 14, 7 pts scored in their last four games and have gain under 300 yards of total offense in four out of the last five. Even that fast pace offense appears to be gone as the last two games were both under 130 total plays. I think this play is just a no brainer considering the Cowboys are going up against the best defense in the big 12 and it is very likely Baylor will have a big lead and just run clock at some point in this game.
  • nestles3nestles3 Member
    edited November 2014
    Under 20 at 5D. GL
    edited November 2014
    YTD 18-12

322 Massachusetts (TT) UNDER 26.5

The UMass offense was very productive for much of the season until QB Blake Frohnapfel was injured. Last week with new QB Austin Whipple you could see the offense was really scaled back as they only attempted 22 passes and an offense that was producing over 500 yards in conference play didn’t even get half of that. Frohnapfel is listed as doubtful so I expect Whipple to start again. Since he threw 3 interceptions last week I think we see more of this conservative approach. Before last week’s game the UMass games were averaging 154 plays per game and last week there was only 128 total plays run. Buffalo likes to run the ball and UMass not really that great at defending it so I think this should be another game where the clock runs a lot and UMass once again falls well under their average number of plays run

341 Colorado St. (TT) OVER 33.5

I think the Rams should have some good success on offense today. They have the 12th best offense in the league and they should particularly have some good success with their passing game today as the Falcons have struggled against teams with good passing games. Three of their games this season were against option teams so overall the stats are not that bad but the good passing teams have done some damage. Boise St. 370 yds, Georgia St. 414 yds and UNLV 306 yds. The Rams have been over this number the last four games and the offense appears to be peaking as we finish the season.
    edited December 2014
    YTD 19-13

109 SMU (TT) UNDER 16

The Mustangs have only gone over this number 2/11 times this season. They are up against a decent defense and playing in rainy conditions which should slow down the anemic offense even more. Throw in the fact that they are a warm weather team playing in the cold with a bunch of lame duck coaches that all probably won’t have jobs next week and I don’t see the offense having much success today.
    edited December 2014
    YTD 19-13

109 SMU (TT) UNDER 16

The Mustangs have only gone over this number 2/11 times this season. They are up against a decent defense and playing in rainy conditions which should slow down the anemic offense even more. Throw in the fact that they are a warm weather team playing in the cold with a bunch of lame duck coaches that all probably won’t have jobs next week and I don’t see the offense having much success today.