Betting Talk

So how with the HOF screw up today?

2»

Comments

• StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    I think about him spitting on that Ump. But thats just me. I think he deserves consideration. He does get overlooked.

Belter.....do you think Piazza was clean? There is no smoking gun on him, but I am pretty leery of him. That is what has kept him out so far. He should certainly be in, but so should Bonds and Clemens.
  • munson15munson15 Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Roberto Alomar was the guy who spit on the ump, John Hirschbeck.
  • SunBelterSunBelter Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    I think about him spitting on that Ump. But thats just me. I think he deserves consideration. He does get overlooked.

Belter.....do you think Piazza was clean? There is no smoking gun on him, but I am pretty leery of him. That is what has kept him out so far. He should certainly be in, but so should Bonds and Clemens.

I dont know if Mike was clean or not, but I dont think its baseball writers place to pass judgement without any factual proof. People are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. The guy was a hitting machine.
    edited January 2014
    I say let them all in and quit this never-ending guessing game. The whole sport was tainted and it can even state that they accomplished what they did in the 'steroid era' right on their plaque.
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited January 2014
    I really think the HOF is a joke, the voting is a joke. I really think some of these writers have agenda's to get back at some of these players that were pricks to them over the years.
    My many issues with the hall.
    Pete Rose not in cause he gambled during his coaching years.
    Maddux , being left off by some voters completely. Why do they ever get to vote again ?
    Piazza has never been caught with anything but he is having to wait.
    Lee Smith still waiting, and now dropping votes because of the 10 limit rule. This can't help him with next years class.
    "Not a first ballot HOF" that gets me the most, what did his numbers improve after 2 years of waiting.
    Also some of the voters now, don't even report baseball anymore, do other things but still get a vote.
    Lots of reasons for my anguish, I just don't think it is a very good system and actually have never liked it.
    For 1 week a year I get very frustrated.
  • lakemonsterlakemonster Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Biggio hit a career high 26 HRs in 2005 - when he turned 40 yrs old. Players don't typically hit their power peak @ 40 yrs old.

Anyone else find this suspicious?
  • TexasHookEmTexasHookEm Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    StevieY wrote: »
    we will have to wait until Mike Trout(at his current pace and as long as he doesn't piss someone off, the old guard should be dead by then). The guy is one of the few to have no enemies and put up eye popping numbers no matter what you look at, in an offensive era.

You mean this guy?
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/mike-trout-shows-off-ridiculous-leaping-ability-video-004806183--mlb.html
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Tribe's Albert Belle was a dominae force for an 8-10 year span. An old school no nonsense type player noted for erasing Ferdnando Vina with a forearm shiver @ 2nd base. Not a popular guy with off-field problems.

IINM, CBiggio has the most doubles by a righthanded batter in the history of MLB.
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited January 2014
    Albert Belle of the corked bat ? The night his bat got taken by the umpires, he paid some kid to go into the umpires room and steal the bat back.
    Classic !
    edited January 2014
    BigKahuna wrote: »
    Albert Belle of the corked bat ? The night his bat got taken by the umpires, he paid some kid to go into the umpires room and steal the bat back.
    Classic !
    Also the Albert Belle who fired a baseball into the stands to shut up a heckling fan.
    edited January 2014
    Biggio hit a career high 26 HRs in 2005 - when he turned 40 yrs old. Players don't typically hit their power peak @ 40 yrs old.

I do but didn't they move into a more hitter-friendly park around that time?
  • MustangMustang Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    munson15 wrote: »
    I do but didn't they move into a more hitter-friendly park around that time?

Yea late in his career they were at Minute Maid park (vs the Astrodome) and he definitely became more of a pull hitter trying to yank the ball over the 315 foot fence in left field.
  • TexasHookEmTexasHookEm Senior Member
    edited January 2014

He hit 15+ twelve different times and 20+ eight different times. Not saying that is irrefutable proof that he didn't juice, but he was pretty damn consistent throughout his career. Also, as mentioned earlier, the dome was a power hitter's nightmare and Enron/Minute Maid was and still is power-friendly.