Betting Talk

When athletes praise the lord

BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
edited January 2014 in Sports Betting
I keep waiting for 1 reporter to stop them ask, does that mean the lord loves you more then everyone else ?
Does tht mean the lord is a Sooner fan and not a Bama fan ?
Or did the lord Just have +17 ?

Absolutely drives me nuts, that's probably why I rooted against Tebow. Keep religion out f it, thank Your offensive line and your parents and shut up.

Comments

• eug44eug44 Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Couldn't agree more! Does God buy points?
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited January 2014
    BigKahuna wrote: »
    I keep waiting for 1 reporter to stop them ask, does that mean the lord loves you more then everyone else ?

Absolutely drives me nuts, that's probably why I rooted against Tebow. Keep religion out f it, thank Your offensive line and your parents and shut up.

I don't know what context you're talking about it in, but...When I hear something like this, it's usually more along the lines of "I'd like to thank God for the strength" or "I want to thank Jesus for the opportunity", and it's rarely "I thank God for rooting for us tonight and not the other team".
  • coolmilcoolmil Member
    edited January 2014
    I totally disagree but that is ok. I respect your right to your views. That is how this country was formed.
  • cabster13cabster13 Senior Member
    edited January 2014

I'm also in the opposite court here. I enjoy hearing that a young man gives credit for his abilities. Nobody seems to blink an eye when the term "God given talent" is used but oppose when an athlete expresses his appreciation to God. The great thing about America as we have the opportunity to express our opinion and he seemed to be quite a humble young man. Would take that any day over the "ME, ME, ME" chatter and the inability by some to not even be able to put a full sentence together. Again, just my opinion...
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited January 2014
    Just a friendly discussion. I dont want to offend anyone especially when it comes to religion.
    So god helped you read that there was no safety over the top?
    Why did God not choose to have the safety in the correct position ? Does God not love the safety or does the safety believe in another god?
    With hunger, war, diseases, economy, should God be really watching this BCS instead of maybe helping world leaders solve more important issues ?
    Lastly and most importantly as this young man brought Jesus into this, shouldn't Jesus have stopped priests from his churches to not rape 1,000's of little boys that have been ruined for life ? But I noticed God did help during the court cases as the church paid pennies of what they should have and most priests never went to prison. So God does pick and choose!

My point is religion has its place , whatever religion you believe in, finish of the sporting event is not the time in my opinion.
    Lastly, how come the losing players never thank their lord and savior ?
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    losing players usually aren't interviewed.
    edited January 2014
    Sure they are , most of Alabama players were interviewed, mccarron sat up there took the blame for the loss and never brought the lord into it. Said his picks cost them the game , never once said that Jesus had double coverage on the outside receiver and he didn't identify it. He took it on his shoulders.
    edited January 2014
    Sure they are , most of Alabama players were interviewed, mccarron sat up there took the blame for the loss and never brought the lord into it. Said his picks cost them the game , never once said that Jesus had double coverage on the outside receiver and he didn't identify it. He took it on his shoulders.

You just don't get it, and nothing that anyone says here will change your mind, so not worth responding.
  • baseRunnerbaseRunner Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Now that you mention it, it is kind of funny that when the losing players get interviewed, they never start off by thanking God for their abilities (even if they didn't win the game). I'm not religious, but I think that would be a really cool thing to do. Only thanking God when you win seems like kind of a fair weather thing, right?
  • coachcoach Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Just a friendly discussion. I dont want to offend anyone especially when it comes to religion.
    So god helped you read that there was no safety over the top?
    Why did God not choose to have the safety in the correct position ? Does God not love the safety or does the safety believe in another god?
    With hunger, war, diseases, economy, should God be really watching this BCS instead of maybe helping world leaders solve more important issues ?
    Lastly and most importantly as this young man brought Jesus into this, shouldn't Jesus have stopped priests from his churches to not rape 1,000's of little boys that have been ruined for life ? But I noticed God did help during the court cases as the church paid pennies of what they should have and most priests never went to prison. So God does pick and choose!

My point is religion has its place , whatever religion you believe in, finish of the sporting event is not the time in my opinion.
    Lastly, how come the losing players never thank their lord and savior ?

Totally agree, keep sports and religion separate . Unless you find a gambling god!! Nice message this shouldn't offend anyone..
    edited January 2014
    TommyL wrote: »
    You just don't get it, and nothing that anyone says here will change your mind, so not worth responding.

Sorry you feel that way, thought most of us were having a fairly good discussion.

Or is your frustration that I won't change my mind to follow your beliefs?

Either way respectfully disagree.
    edited January 2014
    Sorry you feel that way, thought most of us were having a fairly good discussion.

I have no desire to get into a drawn out conversation on religion, especially since no one is ever going to change any of their beliefs based on a post at BettingTalk (and also when discussing religion, it seems like everyone thinks that they're "right", and everyone else is "wrong").

I said that you don't get it because when a player if thanking God or Jesus or The Lord, he's thanking them for the strength, abilities, opportunity, guidance, etc for leading him to that moment. He's not thanking him for the other team's safety to blow an assignment or the other team's kicker to miss a Field Goal (at least in pretty much every instance that I've ever seen). It just amazes me that people will have a problem with someone like Tim Tebow who is pretty much everything that's right about the world, while rooting for guys with horrible attitudes, little to no morals, etc.
    edited January 2014
    I have no desire to get into a drawn out conversation on religion, especially since no one is ever going to change any of their beliefs based on a post at BettingTalk (and also when discussing religion, it seems like everyone thinks that they're "right", and everyone else is "wrong").

I said that you don't get it because when a player if thanking God or Jesus or The Lord, he's thanking them for the strength, abilities, opportunity, guidance, etc for leading him to that moment. He's not thanking him for the other team's safety to blow an assignment or the other team's kicker to miss a Field Goal (at least in pretty much every instance that I've ever seen). It just amazes me that people will have a problem with someone like Tim Tebow who is pretty much everything that's right about the world, while rooting for guys with horrible attitudes, little to no morals, etc.

Tebow seems like a legit good dude. His public displays of faith make me cringe though. For me it's more to do with the fact that, when you belong to the majority group, there's a double standard where it's okay for you to express your faith, but not so much for others to do the same, and most in the majority are not sensitive to that double standard. There may have been a few non-religious people who were annoyed by Tebow doing his God thing, but if a Muslim QB turned toward Mecca and prayed in the middle of a game/after a TD, etc, all hell would break loose with the Christian majority. Which is extremely hypocritical, and one of the things that turns me off about organized faith.
    edited January 2014
    Actually Tommy I am the opposite of your right wrong statement when it comes to religion. I was raised and raised my sons to have an open mind to religion, I respect everyone's religion and try to understand all religions and respect all beliefs. As you think the player was thanking the lord for the strength, I simply don't see the purpose or the need to say it at that moment, I would written the same thing had he said all praise goes Allah ! Which btw would have caused an uproar in our society.
    Also, Tebow may be a fine young man. But to certain degree he used his overly religious mannerism and parlayed it into a draft position he had no business getting and to also getting chances he should have never received and would not have received if not for his over the top religious statements.
    He is not what is right in the world, people that give and time to charities, people that fight for equalities for no selfish profit is what is right with the world. Don't get fooled by a young man that just gets on TV as the good in the world , most of the greatest humans in our society don't get on Espn and don't peddle religion in the middle of a football game.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    I don't know what the odds are of Goats eventually locking this thread, but I'll take yes for the max
    edited January 2014
    baseRunner wrote: »
    Tebow seems like a legit good dude. His public displays of faith make me cringe though. For me it's more to do with the fact that, when you belong to the majority group, there's a double standard where it's okay for you to express your faith, but not so much for others to do the same, and most in the majority are not sensitive to that double standard. There may have been a few non-religious people who were annoyed by Tebow doing his God thing, but if a Muslim QB turned toward Mecca and prayed in the middle of a game/after a TD, etc, all hell would break loose with the Christian majority. Which is extremely hypocritical, and one of the things that turns me off about organized faith.

I'm of course just speaking for one person, but I'd have no problem at all if a Muslim QB prayed toward Mecca or whatever other religious thing happened. I remember a few years ago when PSU got torched by a Jewish RB from Wisconsin that hadn't eaten since the day before due to it being a Jewish holiday, and I thought it was pretty cool that he could do that and still go out there and perform that well (and of course it was a big storyline in the game that was discussed often).
    edited January 2014
    I'm of course just speaking for one person, but I'd have no problem at all if a Muslim QB prayed toward Mecca or whatever other religious thing happened. I remember a few years ago when PSU got torched by a Jewish RB from Wisconsin that hadn't eaten since the day before due to it being a Jewish holiday, and I thought it was pretty cool that he could do that and still go out there and perform that well (and of course it was a big storyline in the game that was discussed often).
    Really? Chris smith ( I think maybe wrong name) tried that went to the Nba prayed towards the east during national anthem and was pretty much out of the league in a year, he was one of the best shooters I had ever seen since Dale Ellis and now Stephan Curry. I am assuming he was praying to Jesus at the time he Would have a statue outside the court.
    edited January 2014
    kane wrote: »
    I don't know what the odds are of Goats eventually locking this thread, but I'll take yes for the max

I will take that bet. Why would it be locked? People sharing opinions no one is attacking the other, just different views. It does happen you know different opinions just sharing opinions without name calling. Try it sometime, you end up learning good things about each other.
    edited January 2014
    Gotta disagree with you there BK. Not standing up for the national anthem, for any reason, is a huge no-no IMO. America has its flaws, but you should basically expect to get your ass kicked for that.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Kahuna, you're thinking of Chris Jackson, who later changed his name to Mamoud Abdul Raoof . And you're right, he was one of the best shooters I've ever seen.
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Really? Chris smith ( I think maybe wrong name) tried that went to the Nba prayed towards the east during national anthem and was pretty much out of the league in a year, he was one of the best shooters I had ever seen since Dale Ellis and now Stephan Curry. I am assuming he was praying to Jesus at the time he Would have a statue outside the court.

Are you basing this on his career 44% from the field or his career 35% from the arc? It's Chris Jackson, btw.

And he wasn't out the next year, he played two more seasons. In his final year, he shot 37% from the floor and 16% from the arc, which may have had something to do with the fact that it was his final season of any significance (he was brought back a few years later by Vancouver/Memphis).

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of the "respectful discussion" that you're trying to have here.
    edited January 2014
    Br he stood with his team for the anthem, but sometimes East faced away from the flag and I think that was the rub. I agree with you about national anthem and I had more respect forit when my son joined the air force cried during the anthem every time until he came home. Still do.

Chris Jackson that's right he was great at Lsu but after the religious statement his shooting went south if I remember correctly.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Dr. H wrote: »
    Are you basing this on his career 44% from the field or his career 35% from the arc? It's Chris Jackson, btw.

And he wasn't out the next year, he played two more seasons. In his final year, he shot 37% from the floor and 16% from the arc, which may have had something to do with the fact that it was his final season of any significance (he was brought back a few years later by Vancouver/Memphis).

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of the "respectful discussion" that you're trying to have here.

I didn't realize those were his stats, I know it's been a while since he last played, but I thought he was a better shooter than that.
    edited January 2014

It was the National Anthem part that got him, not the Islam part. A lot of people take the National Anthem very seriously, and showing an act of defiance during it instead of respectfully standing will get you on people's bad side, completely irregardless of religion.

I've never heard any Christians complain about the hoops player from Northwestern that wears a yamaka every night (nor would I expect to).
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    I didn't realize those were his stats, I know it's been a while since he last played, but I thought he was a better shooter than that.

He was a great FT shooter, but he didn't get to the line nearly enough for that to be of much significance.
    edited January 2014
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1007881/

All season Abdul-Rauf, the Nuggets' slick-shooting, joyless point guard and a devout Muslim, had staged his own disjointed protest against the playing of the national anthem before NBA games. Some nights he would listen with his hands in his pockets. Some, he would stretch. Some, he would stay in the locker room. "The flag represents tyranny and oppression," he said, adding that standing for the anthem was a form of nationalistic worship forbidden by his religion....

Initially, Abdul-Rauf seemed intractable. "If I have to, I'll give up basketball," he said. Immediately, he was pounded by fellow Muslims. "The Muslim teaching is to obey and respect," said Houston Rockets star Hakeem Olajuwon. "To be a good Muslim is to be a good citizen." Kareem Abdul-Jabbar told Abdul-Rauf to reconsider his stance. Mohammed Jodeh, head of political affairs for the Colorado Muslim Society, declared that Abdul-Rauf's position contradicted Islamic teaching.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    I remember a few years back there was a baseball player who refused to stand for the national anthem and he got a lot of grief over it. I'm not positive, but without looking it up I think it was Carlos Delgado.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited January 2014

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong, but I had the same feeling when the thread began and Tommy and I have already discussed it.

As far as why I (or Tommy) would lock it, it would be if the thread spun out of control, ceased having anything to do with sports, and became disrespectful... which unfortunately tends to happen in most discussions involving religion.
    edited January 2014
    Boy my memory is slipping I didn't realize his shooting percentage was that bad either. Yikes, facts do kill a good story. Lol
    edited January 2014
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1007881/

All season Abdul-Rauf, the Nuggets' slick-shooting, joyless point guard and a devout Muslim, had staged his own disjointed protest against the playing of the national anthem before NBA games. Some nights he would listen with his hands in his pockets. Some, he would stretch. Some, he would stay in the locker room. "The flag represents tyranny and oppression," he said, adding that standing for the anthem was a form of nationalistic worship forbidden by his religion....

Initially, Abdul-Rauf seemed intractable. "If I have to, I'll give up basketball," he said. Immediately, he was pounded by fellow Muslims. "The Muslim teaching is to obey and respect," said Houston Rockets star Hakeem Olajuwon. "To be a good Muslim is to be a good citizen." Kareem Abdul-Jabbar told Abdul-Rauf to reconsider his stance. Mohammed Jodeh, head of political affairs for the Colorado Muslim Society, declared that Abdul-Rauf's position contradicted Islamic teaching.

Yup I remember that, that got him. Cause Hakeem was a devoted Muslim and he would always stand. I remember that the owner of the rockets had a room at the court turned into a praying room, so Hakeem could pray before games during Ramadan so then he could drink water during the game. Pretty cool.

Thanks for the enlightening discussion fellas , hopefully I did not offend. Thanks for sharing.
This discussion has been closed.