Betting Talk

Ala/okla

Dave MasonDave Mason Senior Member
edited January 2014 in Sports Betting
Shocking

Comments

• underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    WOW...Books are performing a cleansing of all chalk bettors.
    IMO...People who lay these kind of points deserve what they get
  • golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    underwraps wrote: »
    WOW...Books are performing a cleansing of all chalk bettors.
    IMO...People who lay these kind of points deserve what they get

Not sure laying 14 is a bad bet when it closes at 17.
  • wcf1214wcf1214 Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    anyone who followed steam this bowl year got crushed
    edited January 2014
    golfer1000 wrote: »
    Not sure laying 14 is a bad bet when it closes at 17.

I won't answer that question, but I will tell you one thing that's a certainty. Group think is a dangerous thing in any market
    edited January 2014
    wcf1214 wrote: »

Not saying they didnt. No one knew which way the steam was gonna go at the opener
  • cabster13cabster13 Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Dave Mason wrote: »
    Shocking

An FSU win will hopefully allow for a bit of a shift in college football power out of the SEC! They have had an incredible run but for Bama to end the years with two crushing losses has got to send shock waves through Roll Tide land. Senior laden and a turnover machine tonight but no one but OU believed it was possible. OU far and away more motivated! A great game....
    edited January 2014
    Golfer.. I'll give you an example of Group think. Tonight Golden State beat the Miami heat out right as a 5.5 point dog by 9 points.
    While this game was going on I was watching the lines on my screen for tomorrows games.
    Golden state is playing at Atlanta tomm the opener was -2 I seen it get hit to -1.5 in Atlanta's favor.
    Then as tonight's game came to an end and Golden State beat Miami.. Along came the Group thinkers who have now pushed the line from -1.5 to -2.5
    The first move move is the right move IMO in this situation. Don't take the odds maker as a fool just because the opening limits are low.
    edited January 2014
    underwraps wrote: »
    Golfer.. I'll give you an example of Group think. Tonight Golden State beat the Miami heat out right as a 5.5 point dog by 9 points.
    While this game was going on I was watching the lines on my screen for tomorrows games.
    Golden state is playing at Atlanta tomm the opener was -2 I seen it get hit to -1.5 in Atlanta's favor.
    Then as tonight's game came to an end and Golden State beat Miami.. Along came the Group thinkers who have now pushed the line from -1.5 to -2.5
    The first move move is the right move IMO in this situation. Don't take the odds maker as a fool just because the opening limits are low.

I understand what you are saying. However, the bama game never dropped lower than the opener one time. I'm not saying fading steam isn't a bad way to bet bowls, I'm personally too young and have not bet enough bowls or seen enough bowls, or paid enough attention to them. I don't bet many and when I do I bet them for small. But I did hit the opener at 14 on this one. That being said, if anyone of importance knew this was coming then the 17's most definetly would of been taken out. And even if the 17's were taken out it still would of had a long way to go for anyone to justify that for the people who held the 14's " got what they deserved." Never the less, Oklahoma was a hell of a bet and certainly took home the cake. Congrats brother!
  • blackbullblackbull Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    I expect FSU to dominate Auburn. They are a very rare non-SEC team & match up very well against the Tigers. With that said, Alabama dominated the game tonight & therefore the game tonight in no way evidenced a closing of the gap between the SEC and other conferences. Shoot, Oklahoma State has a good chance at beating Missouri too. Still, top to bottom: The SEC is well above the rest and has been for a VERY long time.

I also find bowl games so misleading in general. Beating an SEC team (who often is less than enthused to be playing at many venues) on a neutral field w/ ample preparation time in one game is COMPLETELY different than playing a full SEC schedule. And a non-SEC team scheduling a couple tough non-conference games still pales in comparison to 8 (9 if you make Atlanta) SEC games, including 4 SEC roadies (plus a tough neutral environment if you make it to Atlanta). Many many times I've heard the shock in a coach's voice after experiencing it for the first time. And I don't see it changing anytime soon, it's a cultural thing.

Now, can the gap get overvalued in the marketplace? Absolutely, and that is an entirely different discussion that doesn't change the fact that a significant gap does and should continue to exist.
  • JalapanoseJalapanose Banned
    edited January 2014
    wcf1214 wrote: »

Ok state on 1/3 qualifies for steam faders
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Jalapanose wrote: »
    Ok state on 1/3 qualifies for steam faders

Yeah line up to 2.5, you on anyone tonight Pali? I'm looking for a reason to back Clemson.
  • originalokieoriginalokie Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Only can say

Boomer Sooner!!!
    edited January 2014
    kane wrote: »
    Yeah line up to 2.5, you on anyone tonight Pali? I'm looking for a reason to back Clemson.

Ohio state with personnel issues coming into this game fwiw.

I liked ok st but that ship has sailed
  • originalokieoriginalokie Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Jalapanose wrote: »
    Ohio state with personnel issues coming into this game fwiw.

I liked ok st but that ship has sailed

Do you feel OK ST / MO will be that close???

Still going with OKST here
    edited January 2014
    Do you feel OK ST / MO will be that close???

Still going with OKST here

Yes, I have a hard time recommending a play at -2' when +1' was available 72 hours ago
  • Dave MasonDave Mason Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    you're boys done real good. certainly surprised me and lots of other people. took the 17 for a few bucks but was afraid of bama. best sooners looked all year
  • blackbullblackbull Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Only can say

Boomer Sooner!!!

Big win OriginalOkie! Congrats to your boys.