Betting Talk

Betting self discipline and Bowl Season?

ComicBookGuyComicBookGuy Member
edited December 2013 in Sports Betting
Just curious how much self discipline you exhibit during Bowl Season? With games almost every night how easy does it become to rationalize a TV bet.
I bring this up because of my experience with the 1989 season. The one game I loved was Notre Dame playing undefeated Colorado on New Years Day. I made an innocent TV bet on Christmas that lost and one the next day that also lost. You see where this is going. Between that first bet and New Years Day I lost every game I bet. Mercifully there weren't nearly as many Bowl games as there are now but I remember having to bet $2000 on ND to break even. For those that don't remember the game ND tortured me through a 0-0 first half before finally winning and covering 21-6.
I have never made that mistake again. This year I bet three games, Colorado St +4.5, Bowling Green-4.5 and Central Florida +17. Other than a possible free play money line bet on Auburn the rest of the games will be ignored.

Comments

• GooseSTLGooseSTL Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    I think it all depends on bankroll. I don't bet like I used to, as in bankroll. I bet now for entertainment purposes, not to try and make $$$ for a living. So, I'll pretty much bet every game on TV. A $5 bet for me now gives me as much excitement watching a game as $500/$1000 bets did 5 years ago., without the stress. If you set a aside an annual amount to bet with, I wouldn't get in that trap of chasing your losses down. To me betting sports is like playing poker and BJ. It can run in streaks so can't get away from your normal unit per play. Just my opinion. Good Luck and Merry Christmas.
  • blackbullblackbull Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    Nothing wrong with being a recreational bettor. If you are, just set a responsible bankroll aside & bet a very low % knowing that u do not have an edge & will eventually lose it all. It's an entertainment expense and if done responsibly it is actually cheaper than most other forms of entertainment. So if that's the case, embracing the temptation is fine as long as you do it responsibly.

However if you do intend to make money long term, the fact that a game is on t.v. shouldn't even factor into the decision making process: (1) There is either value & u allocate the appropriate % of ur bankroll (corresponding to perceived edge) to the +ev opportunity in order to achieve desired growth of ur BR or (2) there isn't value and u do nothing.

Discipline is one of the most important traits of an advantage player and you either have it or you don't. BOL with your bowl season my man.
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    Totally agree with blackbull ,I cap it the same exact way I do the reg season except I look at a few subsets that I have to confirm the play.
    Comic, you shouldnt ignore other games ,lots can happen before they play, like pissing of balconys and stuff .

good luck
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    I always seem to have a ton of bets early in the bowl season-- and have worried in the past that I was betting too many games just because they were there. But, the number of bets seems to taper way off with the later(bigger) bowls. I finally decided not to worry about it, as many of the early bowl game bets are usually based on the intangibles--- coaches going, OC and DC leaving, teams that don't give a damn, suspensions, betting against certain of the smaller leagues that don't figure to hang in the whole game, etc.

But, I usually make a TV parlay with the teams I don't bet straight, just for rooting interest.
  • ComicBookGuyComicBookGuy Member
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for the responses. My initial thread actually came off as more serious than intended. I fully recognize the harmless nature of responsible entertainment betting. In my case I have found that even a small loss on a game I didn't intend to bet tends to bug me more than the entertainment value or the satisfaction a win would give me.
    I was curious if anyone had a similar horror story where a series of innocent bets snowballed into a giant hot mess. it seems like Bowl Season or March Madness is a ripe opportunity for such things. I'm also aware that unlike in my case where ND covered and got me out of the hole I dug, the usual result is a loss. its one of the reasons I never want to revisit the situation.
  • bumpobumpo Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    I guess the lesson is, don't chase, don't tilt. If you lose game A, it's done. Doesn't make game B merit a larger bet to get your money back. Betting a % of your BR is the way to go.
  • guetsguets Member
    edited December 2013
    Got in a bowl game pool this year. Entry fee is 20 % of a normal one unit bet for me. Payout for 1st place would be 175 % of normal one unit . Have action on all the games with low risk and still make my regular bets. Had a chasing horror story in the late 70's. Loved a Big 8 College football game late in the year. Bet it for too much. Lost it . Got drunk and doubled up on a meaningless NBA game . Lost that. Lesson learned. Happy holidays
  • lentellentel Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    blackbull wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with being a recreational bettor. If you are, just set a responsible bankroll aside & bet a very low % knowing that u do not have an edge & will eventually lose it all. It's an entertainment expense and if done responsibly it is actually cheaper than most other forms of entertainment. So if that's the case, embracing the temptation is fine as long as you do it responsibly.

However if you do intend to make money long term, the fact that a game is on t.v. shouldn't even factor into the decision making process: (1) There is either value & u allocate the appropriate % of ur bankroll (corresponding to perceived edge) to the +ev opportunity in order to achieve desired growth of ur BR or (2) there isn't value and u do nothing.

Discipline is one of the most important traits of an advantage player and you either have it or you don't. BOL with your bowl season my man.

Well said, and exactly true
    edited December 2013
    You can't go wrong if you follow this--- all college football games start at Noon on Saturday-- all NFL games start at Noon on Sunday. If you wouldn't bet the game if it started at the same time as all the others--- then don't bet it because it's on a Thursday night. And, when college BB conference games get going-- handicap the Sunday games at the same time you do the Saturday games. They have just been moved a day for TV.
  • Matteo5Matteo5 Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    Comic, interesting that you cite that ND Colorado game in 89, as I was caught chasing that game also. Unfortunately, I chased the wrong side...:( Can't say I've not chased since, but not to that extent. I certainly have never forgotton that bowl season.
  • groovinmahoovingroovinmahoovin Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    blackbull wrote: »

I agree with the gist of your post, but the fact that a game is on TV can provide better betting opportunities, particularly for smaller bettors who have access to books like SIA, Bodog, locals, etc. On the Oregon St/Boise St Xmas Eve game, I believe the best line available at major books was un66.5, and SIA had un67.5 +100. Not that the 67 is worth very much (probably 1.5% at most), but if you're getting 1.5% better than the market at even money, that's decent value. I doubt SIA would have had a line that good if it wasn't the only game of the evening and also on TV.
  • ComicBookGuyComicBookGuy Member
    edited December 2013
    You get so wrapped up in your own games its easy to forget that for every disaster or incredible lucky break you get, the opposite has happened to someone else. I've already moved on from that off the charts lucky win I got with Colo St last Saturday. If I had Wash St I'd still be considering putting my head in the microwave.
    edited December 2013
    You get so wrapped up in your own games its easy to forget that for every disaster or incredible lucky break you get, the opposite has happened to someone else. I've already moved on from that off the charts lucky win I got with Colo St last Saturday. If I had Wash St I'd still be considering putting my head in the microwave.

It's human nature. We can all recite bad beats from 10- 20 years ago, but when we're on the side that pulls the miraculous cover, we soon forget.
    edited December 2013
    I agree with the gist of your post, but the fact that a game is on TV can provide better betting opportunities, particularly for smaller bettors who have access to books like SIA, Bodog, locals, etc. On the Oregon St/Boise St Xmas Eve game, I believe the best line available at major books was un66.5, and SIA had un67.5 +100. Not that the 67 is worth very much (probably 1.5% at most), but if you're getting 1.5% better than the market at even money, that's decent value. I doubt SIA would have had a line that good if it wasn't the only game of the evening and also on TV.

Ah, but the fact the advantage player PULLS THE TRIGGER on the Under 67.5 +100 play has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the game is on t.v. What pulls the trigger in the advantage player's mind is the fact that the # is mispriced. The reason for the mispricing (being on t.v. & more noobs hitting the square books) is of no significance unless you consider that reason to be a variable which must be factored into producing a correct line or if you have access to that square shop and are holding out for a better number.

Groovin, the message of the post was that you don't play a game B/C it's on t.v., you play it b/c there is a mispricing. Your point of the fact that a game being televised can create value (especially at a square shop) is a point that I neither disagree with, nor did I state the opposite opinion of such in my original post.
    edited December 2013
    Couldn't edit fast enough, but to add to the end of my 1st paragraph re: Grooving's square shop example:

Even then, what is TRIGGERING THE BUY is not the fact that the game is on t.v., but the fact that the line has reached a +ev buy point for you at a particular square shop.
  • jimmymojimmymo Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    Just curious how much self discipline you exhibit during Bowl Season?

Very little....