Betting Talk

Turmoil At SIU?

Comments

• PeayManiaPeayMania Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    I just listened to this and if the players listen to this, which I assume they will, I cant see how this motivates them to play harder. "My wife, MY WIFE, will at least shot fake." It's one thing to get on your kids or coach them real hard, but to degrade them publicly and do it over and over again is unacceptable regardless of how they played. I've been on a team where the coach did this to some players and everyone of them in the locker room talked about it and basically said F*ck you, I'm done and completely checked out.

IF this was a senior laden team I can see how the team will play for each other and not the coach and still play hard, but since this team is young I think they cash it in.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    I agree. Something to think about as the MVC season starts up.
  • StJoes0610StJoes0610 Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    http://deadspin.com/siu-coach-blasts-mamas-boys-players-in-exquisite-ran-1485614485

see the bottom of this link, looks to me like they arent taking it well.
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited December 2013
    No one knows what happened leading up to this. Like the Garrett/Romo situation. If Garrett has talked to Romo about improving his game managing and/or this situation in general(we all know he sucks at it, always has), and Romo ignores/tunes him out/continues to do the same shit etc, well, if he is dis-respectful enough to blow you off, maybe if he reads about it with everyone else, he will get it.

I don't care if they are "college kids". Most of them think they run the show now. Can't be yelled at by a coach. Pout when they do? Get over it. Twitter is the worst invention for people with no self-control. My college coach was the nicest guy you will ever meet. He is the MAC career wins leader. He was a hitting guru, had big name college coaches coming to see him to talk hitting. While I was there, he turned down half a dozen major school jobs, and 4 MLB hitting coach jobs. He would say it once to the incoming players. He expected you to play the game right all the time. He expected you to hustle all the time. Mistakes of aggression, physical mistakes, happen. Mental, lazy mistakes will not be tolerated. There would be no exceptions to those rules. The only knock we had on him is he never had a real argument with an umpire. He never really yelled. One time he finally went off on an umpiring crew and we were like "holy shit, get em coach" :). He also never really yelled at a player. If he raised his voice, everyone stopped what they were doing because they knew he had to be really mad. That being said, his two rules were set in stone and for the nicest guy who could ever meet, there was no way out of his doghouse except being higher on the pile of shit than other people at your position. We had a guy who was projected as a 15-20th rd draft choice. He was on fire to start the season. He hit a hard grounder between 3rd and short. 3rd baseman dove and missed it, our guy assumed he had a hit, put his head and jogged to first. SS dove, came up with it, and threw him out. He didn't have another AB the rest of the year. We had 50 games left. So, would you rather have a coach yell at you or sit you on the bench for the rest of your career? May seem harsh but he knew the best way to get thru to kids is take away their playing time, not yell at them. Times have changed, seems like they would rather lose playing time than get yelled at. Criticize a coach on your twitter feed? Buh bye.

All the talk about "don't embarrass the player in public". Well, look at it from the coach's perspective. You teach and teach in practice about how to do something. When the games start, they act like they didn't listen to you, over and over again. You talk to them, you work harder, and they still don't do it. You yell at them, they put their head down or get that distant look in their eyes. They continue to do the same things over and over. Guess what, they are embarrassing you in public. Nothing you do in private is working. What do you do, sit there and take it? What's the first thing people think when they see a team play really bad? Wow, that coach sucks, he didn't have them prepared. If nothing else works, give it right back to them and find out how many pussies you have on your team. Weed them out and play the guys that want to do things right. As a coach, you have to be the captain of the ship, even if it is sinking. For better or for worse, you are in charge, and your team needs to know that. When the inmates start running the asylum, you can't get it back.
  • golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    Stevie - where did you play college baseball?
  • PeayManiaPeayMania Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    I coach basketball now at the high school/middle school level and played in college (not at D1) and IMO there are ways to call a player out without ridiculing him. It seemed to me he went on his tirade so he would feel better and not to try to prove a point to his players. While he was probably right about everything he said its not something you do to your team. If you don't like what they are doing handle behind closed doors and then if that is not taking care of it, simply don't play those guys. The bench will either make you do one of two things, start playing the right way or leave, either way at that point is probably acceptable to the coach as you don't want those guys in your program.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    I have to leave so I don't have time to listen but my only response is you can trash a team at a press conference for not doing what they're being taught but you don't single out a players. Comparing a pro situation with college kids is a bit of a stretch. There's never a good reason to throw your team leader to the wolves. There's times people who are calling the shots need a little help from the people above them but castrating your leader in public can never be a good thing.
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited December 2013
    golfer1000 wrote: »
    Stevie - where did you play college baseball?

Can't say, once my coach retired the program turned into shit. JK, Western Michigan Univ.
  • BeardedTacoBeardedTaco Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    worked for 1 year with this guy :laugh:
    edited December 2013

Where and when did you work for Pat? I know him well
  • BeardedTacoBeardedTaco Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    sry for the confusion, meant to say the rant worked for him as I am pretty sure that's the same year they made the tourney
  • cabster13cabster13 Senior Member
    edited December 2013

Spoken like the son of the biggest coaching asshole in NCAA history! Rides his daddy's coattails playing on his daddy's team and gets dragged along to TTech where his dad resigns and basically appoints his son. After bombing there he is fortunate to gte the Lamar job. Also assure you he was not hired on his coaching ability but on his last name. Quality guy like his daddy!
    edited December 2013
    sry for the confusion, meant to say the rant worked for him as I am pretty sure that's the same year they made the tourney

It sure did. They went on to win the conference tournament that year. Since then it has been absolutely brutal. 3-32 last year. Extremely brutal recruiting his first year at Lamar. Not sure how responsible he was for that though, cause of lack of time. But this years team seems to be much more talented but still not very good. Not real sure how he will pan out at Lamar. I think the verdict is still out.