Betting Talk

NFL OT Rules Question

ComicBookGuyComicBookGuy Member
edited November 2013 in Sports Betting
I checked the NFL site which had numerous scenarios but I couldn't find this one.
Lets say todays Pitt/Buff game goes to OT. Pitt kicks a FG on its opening possession. When Buff gets the ball the QB throws an interception that is run back. Is the final score a Pitt win by 3 or 9.

Comments

• originalokieoriginalokie Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    nine for the score
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    I believe the interception ends the game. I think the old way stays the same as for how much you can win by in OT and that would be 6
  • ComicBookGuyComicBookGuy Member
    edited November 2013
    Thanks. That was what I told the person who asked me before I realized I didn't know for sure.
  • LawboyLawboy Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    Nine.
    edited November 2013
    Interception does not end the game. What if the interceptor fumbles? If he takes a knee, game over. But if he runs it back, the score counts. No extra point.
    edited November 2013
    Lawboy wrote: »
    Interception does not end the game. What if the interceptor fumbles? If he takes a knee, game over. But if he runs it back, the score counts. No extra point.
    Just like in college. Thanks for the quick replies.
    edited November 2013
    Lawboy wrote: »
    First he would be an idiot not to just lay down. When a TD ends the game there's never an extra point in OT but I would have to see that in writing and it's not going to be in the rule book but it's a good question to ask a book.
    edited November 2013
    I just called a book and the only answer they would give is whatever the NFL decides the final score is. So they really don't know either I believe unless someone seen it in writing how would you know. How can anyone know for sure until it happens. Very interesting question and of course we all remember the USC OT game years ago which made them change that rule. But that's college.
    edited November 2013
    Just like in college. Thanks for the quick replies.

I believe that rule was changed after the USC game. when they won by 13. but then again as I stated above that's college.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    I checked the NFL site which had numerous scenarios but I couldn't find this one.
    Lets say todays Pitt/Buff game goes to OT. Pitt kicks a FG on its opening possession. When Buff gets the ball the QB throws an interception that is run back. Is the final score a Pitt win by 3 or 9.

Pitt by 3. Once Buff loses it's possession game over. It's similiar to an NFL team attempting a 2pt conversion and the defense intercepts the pass. Ball dead .......game over. That ASU/USC debacle years ago was ad libbed by the officials and and later NCAA clarified it.

OT, asking the bookmaker's staff is the right idea, but they know much less than the player. When a difficult situation arises, they usually grade it a loser and the burden of proof is on the player. Brush up on your Spanish.
  • kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Pitt by 3. Once Buff loses it's possession game over. It's similiar to an NFL team attempting a 2pt conversion and the defense intercepts the pass. Ball dead .......game over. That ASU/USC debacle years ago was ad libbed by the officials and and later NCAA clarified it.

OT, asking the bookmaker's staff is the right idea, but they know much less than the player. When a difficult situation arises, they usually grade it a loser and the burden of proof is on the player. Brush up on your Spanish.

So if the NFL player intercepts the ball on the second possession the game is just blown dead by the officials?
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    kass101 wrote: »
    So if the NFL player intercepts the ball on the second possession the game is just blown dead by the officials?

That's what I believe and was told. The above scenario would be true if game was NOT Tied.
    edited November 2013
    kass101 wrote: »

Actually the guy gave me the right answer whatever the NFL official score is that's how it will be graded. I have a couple of emails to newspaper sport writers that I speak to from time to time This question had to come up when discussing changing the OT rules.

Brush up on your Spanish. Classic
    edited November 2013
    I'm no lawyer...wait. I am a lawyer, and I read the rule and the approved decisions. I also called an agent buddy of mine and this scenario has not actually been contemplated by the NFL. The overtime rules key on the "opportunity to possess" the football. It also states when the game "ends" on a score. Based on what the rule says, each team would have had the opportunity to possess the ball upon the interception. Even if the interceptor fumbled, and the offensive team recovered and scored a touchdown, they would have lost at the time of the interception. My buddy the agent said they would probably count the 6 points, but the game should end because of "opportunity to possess" language.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827ee2c0/article/nfl-overtime-rules
  • nyjets1532nyjets1532 Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    What if the offensive team is backed up deep in their own territory, the quarterback drops back to pass, and the ball is intercepted in the endzone?

(I really don't care, but u never know, it could happen)
  • groovinmahoovingroovinmahoovin Senior Member
    edited November 2013
    nyjets1532 wrote: »
    What if the offensive team is backed up deep in their own territory, the quarterback drops back to pass, and the ball is intercepted in the endzone?

(I really don't care, but u never know, it could happen)

My reading of the rules is the same as Ronbets; once the other team has possession after the INT, the play should be blown dead, and any player who doesn't know to fall down is an idiot. However, the 9 point win can still happen with a fumble recovery in the end zone, and I can't see how they couldn't count the points there. Obviously the fumble recovery in the end zone is a lot more likely in the NFL than in college.
    edited November 2013
    Thanks to everyone who wrote in. It seems like until it actually happens no one can be 100% sure of what the NFL rule is. I would think they would have a blanket rule on defensive points in OT where in the scenario I gave Pitt was already up by 3, but I guess its possible that a safety or fumble recovery in the end zone would count but an interception run back wouldn't.