Betting Talk

TommyL's March College Basketball Plays

Comments

• TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Updated Record: 318-283-10 (+6.7 units unweighted, -7.9 units weighted) Average CLV: +.25

I'll just repost today's plays here for anyone that doesn't want to dig through a bunch of posts about food (who wouldn't though?)...

Plays for Thursday, 3/21

720. VCU -7 Akron 1.5 UNITS
    726. Pittsburgh -4.5 Wichita State
    731. Oregon +3 Oklahoma State
  • BayOceanBayOcean Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    They take debit cards, Lugar gift cards, personal check with ID.
  • bluejakebluejake Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    TommyL wrote: »
    Updated Record: 318-283-10 (+6.7 units unweighted, -7.9 units weighted) Average CLV: +.25

I'll just repost today's plays here for anyone that doesn't want to dig through a bunch of posts about food (who wouldn't though?)...

Plays for Thursday, 3/21

720. VCU -7 Akron 1.5 UNITS
    726. Pittsburgh -4.5 Wichita State
    731. Oregon +3 Oklahoma State

Tommy, Did U forget U added St. Mary's +1?
    edited March 2013
    bluejake wrote: »
    Tommy, Did U forget U added St. Mary's +1?

Yes, that's also a play for today, thanks.
    edited March 2013
    Will update record when I get a chance...

Plays for Saturday, 3/23

516. Marquette -1.5 Butler
    528. Saint Louis -4 Oregon
    edited March 2013
    I promise a record update today...

Plays for Sunday, 3/24

718. Duke -5.5 Creighton
    725. LaSalle +4.5 Mississippi
    729. Illinois +7.5 Miami 1.5 UNITS (8 is available)
    733. St John's/Virginia over 123
    edited March 2013
    Updated Record: 326-290-10 (+7.0 units unweighted, -7.7 units weighted) Average CLV: +.25

Plays for Monday, 3/25

614. Providence -8.5 Robert Morris
    617. La Tech +8 Southern Mississippi
    623. Richmond/Wright State over 127
  • organic313organic313 Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Nice run last night Tommy. Lets get that number tonight!
  • WumsWums Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Never posted on your thread before Tommy, But I want to first start off by saying that I respect your opinions and thought process. I just wanted to know if you could give a little insight towards your providence pick. Not trying to be a pain, just curious.

Thanks,

Wums
    edited March 2013
    Wums wrote: »
    Never posted on your thread before Tommy, But I want to first start off by saying that I respect your opinions and thought process. I just wanted to know if you could give a little insight towards your providence pick. Not trying to be a pain, just curious.

Thanks,

Wums

No problem. I have the game lined at 10, and think that Providence is a really tough matchup for Robert Morris in that Robert Morris is going to have to hit 3's to hang around, and there aren't many teams in the country that are better at defending the arc than Providence. Robert Morris is going to have a tough time matching the emotions of last Tuesday night's game, and Providence has finally gotten healthy and into synch and is playing some pretty good basketball.
    edited March 2013
    Someone sent me this interesting article below on Ben Howland. Crazy to look at the guys that wanted to go there and think about what kind of team they would had with Williams and Crabbe.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-college-basketball-mens-tournament/news/20130325/ucla-ben-howland/

I also can't believe that Minnesota got rid of Tubby. This could be like the Glenn Mason firing all over again for them. I think Minnesota is a solid program and everything, but I think they're kidding themselves to think that they can do any better than Tubby.
  • mltn1010mltn1010 Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    I also can't believe that Minnesota got rid of Tubby. This could be like the Glenn Mason firing all over again for them. I think Minnesota is a solid program and everything, but I think they're kidding themselves to think that they can do any better than Tubby.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing. It's not like coaches are knocking down the door for the Minnesota job. They were saying the the AD has strong ties to Shaka Smart.
  • PeayManiaPeayMania Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    That's a lot of eggs in one basket.
    edited March 2013
    Will update record...

Plays for the next few days

Wednesday, 3/27

783. Providence +8.5 Baylor

Thursday, 3/28

809. Marquette +5 Miami 1.5 UNITS
    813. LaSalle +4 Wichita State

Friday, 3/29

880. Florida -13 Florida Gulf Coast
    edited March 2013
    If anyone has access to 5Dimes, I really like one of the potential matchups for #521 under college hoops...

Indiana vs Miami Florida - NCAA Tournament - East Regional Final - Verizon Center - Washington, DC
    teams must meet in regional final for action
    Sat 3/30 521 Indiana -145
    7:00PM 522 Miami Florida +125

If this matchup happens, I think that Indiana would be a lot closer to -200 than -145. I have Miami and Syracuse rated pretty similiarly right now, and Indiana is -250 over this Syracuse team tomorrow night. I think this is pretty mispriced, but am I completely missing something?
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    I'll take a flyer you don't miss much. it just went to -155
  • rmcfeermcfee Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    I got Syracuse +205 a few days ago
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited March 2013

I also can't believe that Minnesota got rid of Tubby. This could be like the Glenn Mason firing all over again for them. I think Minnesota is a solid program and everything, but I think they're kidding themselves to think that they can do any better than Tubby.

1. Tubby is awful, lost the team, the state etc. Wisconsin has been to the NCAA tournament 15 straight years and the Gophers have never been there more then 3 times in a row. In 6 seasons he won 1 NCAA tournament game (this year). It was time to move on.
    2. Minnesota has 3 of the top 40 players in the country in the 2014 recuriting class including #3 and #6 overall. There was many who thought with Tubby staying we had no shot at any of them with the current turmoil.
    3. The AD Norwood Teague and Senior assoicate AD Mike Ellis know a thing or 2 about finding coaches. Ellis created the Vila 7 program and Teague hired Shaka Smart. Most schools hire an outside firm to do a coaching search. Ellis and Teague are doing it themselves. They know what they are doing..
  • StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Tubby is not awful. that is a silly statement. hell have a new job in no time. will be successful. minnesota fan better hope they stay relevant while tubby is taking his new team to the tourny.
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited March 2013
    worm33 wrote: »
    1. Tubby is awful, lost the team, the state etc. Wisconsin has been to the NCAA tournament 15 straight years and the Gophers have never been there more then 3 times in a row. In 6 seasons he won 1 NCAA tournament game (this year). It was time to move on.
    2. Minnesota has 3 of the top 40 players in the country in the 2014 recuriting class including #3 and #6 overall. There was many who thought with Tubby staying we had no shot at any of them with the current turmoil.
    3. The AD Norwood Teague and Senior assoicate AD Mike Ellis know a thing or 2 about finding coaches. Ellis created the Vila 7 program and Teague hired Shaka Smart. Most schools hire an outside firm to do a coaching search. Ellis and Teague are doing it themselves. They know what they are doing..

Really ? Remind me again how many national titles you have won ? Ridiculous statement. Really good coach, never thought Minnesota was a good fit for him, he should have another job in about 5 minutes.
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    BigKahuna wrote: »
    Really ? Remind me again how many national titles you have won

WTF? By that reasoning, any coach who has 1 career win automatically isn't awful because they have more wins than worm.
    edited March 2013
    WTF? By that reasoning, any coach who has 1 career win automatically isn't awful because they have more wins than worm.

At least we still have another 8 months (at a minimum) to criticize Joseph Price at Grambling...
  • StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited March 2013

jeff....come on. he was talking about minnesota. not personally.
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited March 2013
    My point was, Tubby is far from being an awful coach. To call him awful, you can state 3/4 of all coaches are awful. Because I guarantee you is in the top 25 percent of all coaches.
  • hotbustophotbustop Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Tubby won at Tulsa, Georgia, Kentucky, and Minnesota. Minnesota had been irrelevant for about 30 years. The only Final 4 to speak of was tainted by outright cheating.
    They have no clue. Every year some little guy gets on a run and all it does is cost coaches their jobs. Because people see these little guys make a run (like FGCU) and think.... hey we should be doing that etc.
    Izzo, Matta, Ryan, Crean, Beilein..... SOMEONE IS LOSING in that conference everyone can't win!
    edited March 2013
    hotbustop wrote: »
    Izzo, Matta, Ryan, Crean, Beilein..... SOMEONE IS LOSING in that conference everyone can't win!

That's exactly what I say often. It's a zero sum game, and it's tough to think of a collection of coaches that a conference has ever had that's better than the Big Ten right now. I'm even a huge Tim Miles fan, think Chambers might be the right guy to turn it around at PSU, think Painter is a heck of a coach, etc. Whoever ends up at Minnesota is going to have a tough hill to climb to pass some of these established programs.
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited March 2013
    That's exactly what I say often. It's a zero sum game, and it's tough to think of a collection of coaches that a conference has ever had that's better than the Big Ten right now. I'm even a huge Tim Miles fan, think Chambers might be the right guy to turn it around at PSU, think Painter is a heck of a coach, etc. Whoever ends up at Minnesota is going to have a tough hill to climb to pass some of these established programs.

I like Fran McCaffrey. I think he slides under the radar but he has Iowa back on the cusp. They were more deserving of a bid than Minnesota this year and are showing in the NIT how legit they are.
  • hotbustophotbustop Senior Member
    edited March 2013
    Big 10 has the toughest lot of coaches I agree with you guys.
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited March 2013

Not if it gives the Gophers an edge on Tyus Jones, Rashad Vaughn and Reid Travis. Send those 3 to the Gophers, and it will be an easy climb. Gophers have been through a lot of turmoil in the last 25 years but there is no reason they cant compete at the top of the big 10 with the right coach etc. Tubby was not that guy.
  • JalapanoseJalapanose Banned
    edited March 2013
    Good luck getting "that guy" to come to Minneapolis. U of Minnesota blew their chance to consistently compete with the studs of the B1G