Betting Talk

Completely Off Topic

nucoffenucoffe Senior Member
edited January 2013 in Sports Betting
Has anyone ever been to China or Hong Kong before?

Comments

• RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Hy. Ding Guy?
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited January 2013
    My wife was in Hong Kong this past summer for a few days.
  • nucoffenucoffe Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Curious what others might think of the place. I frequently go back there since I still have lots of family and friends there and I wonder what other people's perception of China is.
  • jesfla72jesfla72 Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    I have been to H.K. 3 times. All with the Navy. Last trip was Dec 11. I have always had fun there. Alot to do and can be alot of fun for a single guy. Shopping is great and alot of sights to see. Cambodia was the cheapest place i went to last yr. Thailand was second.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Nucoffe here are my opinions. I haven't been there since '97, when the Commies assumed control.

Positives:
    Food is outstanding. Sharkfin soup best in the world. Women(non-hooker) were nice. The local BMs were liberal after being ok'd. NBA was a hot item there.

Negatives:
    "Hoke Kwhy"(too expensive). Very crowded. Humidity makes South Beach feel dry in comparison.
  • themartythemarty Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Macau
  • Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Was there a couple of years ago for a couple of days,

Loved the food and the diverse city,
    but what struck me most and I even got goosebumps when i realized it, was the fact that it was a culture where people don't steal. It's not done. 2 instances to wit:
    - me and a friend in a watch shop, and we're looking at different models, and suddenly this lady says: I think I know what you're looking for. She leaves the store and goes upstairs, leaves the keys in the vitrine, all the watches which we had fitted so far were there on the vitrine. I took a look around, there was nobody else in the store, she ran the store alone and there were no camera's. Took her a full 2 minutes to come back down.
    - Second, was when I was in SOHO, a huge 9 or 10 story department store. Full of brandname clothing, shoes and apparel. There were 2 guards downstairs to direct people to the right stairs or lanes. That was it. No item in the whole building had a magnetic strip or any form of anti-theft attached to it. Mind you, there were about a 1000 shoppers/visitors on each floor continuously.

Can you imagine an Apple store in the US (or Europe, or South America for that matter) without any phone or laptop attached to a security cord?
  • blackbullblackbull Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Obi One wrote: »
    Was there a couple of years ago for a couple of days,

Loved the food and the diverse city,
    but what struck me most and I even got goosebumps when i realized it, was the fact that it was a culture where people don't steal. It's not done. 2 instances to wit:
    - me and a friend in a watch shop, and we're looking at different models, and suddenly this lady says: I think I know what you're looking for. She leaves the store and goes upstairs, leaves the keys in the vitrine, all the watches which we had fitted so far were there on the vitrine. I took a look around, there was nobody else in the store, she ran the store alone and there were no camera's. Took her a full 2 minutes to come back down.
    - Second, was when I was in SOHO, a huge 9 or 10 story department store. Full of brandname clothing, shoes and apparel. There were 2 guards downstairs to direct people to the right stairs or lanes. That was it. No item in the whole building had a magnetic strip or any form of anti-theft attached to it. Mind you, there were about a 1000 shoppers/visitors on each floor continuously.

Can you imagine an Apple store in the US (or Europe, or South America for that matter) without any phone or laptop attached to a security cord?

Interesting. I love to travel and have yet to visit China or Hong Kong. Appreciate the shared experiences from everyone.
  • speculatorspeculator Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    hong kong is where they have more LV stores than 7 and 11. great cuban cigars....
  • nucoffenucoffe Senior Member
    edited January 2013
    Ah so mainly experiences in Hong Kong for most of you it seems! I try not to spend too much time there myself because I find Hong Kong too congested. I own a condo there and rent it out so I check on it once a year. I spend most of my time in China since the Seafood and Chinese Cuisine is BETTER and everything is relatively cheaper. The Spas there are GINORMOUS and great service, I mean how many spas can you visit that is 6-8 stories with their own Bowling alley, Pool Hall, Ping Pong Tables, Weight Room, Internet Cafe, and Karaoke Rooms. I love those places and best of all I can watch live basketball games there too!!! I personally visit Asia yearly and love it but the flight is quite rough! I have quite a few friends that hate it back there so I was curious what people thought of the place.