Betting Talk

NBA Guru picks available on Dr Bob website

Comments

• jammerjammer Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    I love how he gives his record on plays rated 2* or higher, as if the losing record on 1* plays over the past 2 years doesn't count. He then goes on to further discount the 1* plays, calling them opinions. Touts and selective memory go hand in hand.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    lumpy19 wrote: »
    What's a pro?

Usually just a guy who lost his day job.
  • ContrarianContrarian Banned
    edited October 2012
    jammer wrote: »
    I love how he gives his record on plays rated 2* or higher, as if the losing record on 1* plays over the past 2 years doesn't count. He then goes on to further discount the 1* plays, calling them opinions. Touts and selective memory go hand in hand.

Yeah, Ed kinda sorta called him out up in post 8 for his datamined promotion......but like you said, it is to be expected. Of course he isn't going to win, but now "dr." Bob can well, "drbob" his record throughout the season as only "dr." Bob can.
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Bowls, maybe. I'm working my ass off on college hoops right now.

love to hear it! you can take over for Stevie since we will be sorely missing his c hoops.
  • tribecalledjefftribecalledjeff Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    newcombe wrote: »
    love to hear it! you can take over for Stevie since we will be sorely missing his c hoops.

Not sure yet if I'll be posting here or what I'll be doing this year. A few things are kinda up in the air right now.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Wow this place is really starting to get interesting. Where's Goats? Ras you got him working OT with College stating. Ok who's next to go to Jim Fiest I heard he's looking for someone to pick winners.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Wow this place is really starting to get interesting. Where's Goats? Ras you got him working OT with College stating. Ok who's next to go to Jim Fiest I heard he's looking for someone to pick winners.

The only "work" I do on CBK is bet whatever RAS and Stevie release.

Something I can do for ya?
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Goats wrote: »
    The only "work" I do on CBK is bet whatever RAS and Stevie release.

Something I can do for ya?

Not at this time thank you, just haven't seen you around. Contra does make a valid point that we have to find out about the Guru from someone that seen it at RTP. Don't get me wrong I'm happy for the guy. But since you asked if there was anything you could for me on 2nd thought there is. Answer this question was this Guru to Dr Bob initiated by BT. Hard to imagine Dr Bob asking for the Guru to work for him.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited October 2012
    just haven't seen you around

Quiet time of year for me before college hoops starts so I try to spend less time in front of the computer while I can. I've been around, but perhaps not as much as usual.
    Contra does make a valid point that we have to find out about the Guru from someone that seen it at RTP.

Unless it's a situation like StevieY's where Ed has something to do with a BT poster selling his picks at a new site while the poster continues to contribute at BT as well, I'm not sure why it would be anyone at BT's duty to post about a random poster choosing to sell his picks.
    But since you asked if there was anything you could for me on 2nd thought there is. Answer this question was this Guru to Dr Bob initiated by BT. Hard to imagine Dr Bob asking for the Guru to work for him.

These questions should be directed towards Ed since it's his site, but I don't understand how or why he would initiate something like that. If Ed thought someone's picks were worth selling I'd imagine he'd want to set up a site for him himself and help promote it like StevieY's, not attempt to hook him up with another tout. So short answer is no, I have no idea how Guru and Dr. Bob formed a relationship, but I'm fairly certain Ed had nothing to do with it.
  • ContrarianContrarian Banned
    edited October 2012
    Not at this time thank you, just haven't seen you around. Contra does make a valid point that we have to find out about the Guru from someone that seen it at RTP. Don't get me wrong I'm happy for the guy. But since you asked if there was anything you could for me on 2nd thought there is. Answer this question was this Guru to Dr Bob initiated by BT. Hard to imagine Dr Bob asking for the Guru to work for him.

Are you active at rtp, o-t? Gimme a shout over there
  • hotbustophotbustop Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Wow there is a lot of hatred for Dr bob yet the guy continues to win. Have used him for over a decade and am up. And while he points out the bad beats/tough luck... he usually points out his lucky covers and does a pretty good job of breaking down his plays after the fact. He is winning again this year in football and hopefully he can continue to do that.
    Can't comment on his endorsement but a lot of his customers are clamoring for more action and totals and he did provide a baseball capper that went off this year. Actually the baseball capper was free until the playoffs.
  • BookbrakerBookbraker Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    NBA guru was a coin flipper.
  • spiderman77spiderman77 Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Bookbraker wrote: »

Maybe, but unlikely. It's hard to break even on 1300 plays as a coin flipper. The average coin flipper would have lost 65 units on that many plays. I have to agree with Ed on this one, guru had potential. Remember that he got locked into the Spurs with some uncharacteristically large plays in the playoffs that cost him all of his profit. Hopefully he learned from that mistake of putting too many eggs in one basket (a bad basket in this case). I wish him luck, although I'm thinking he would have been better served to prove himself, as StevieY did, before going tout. As I see it, there's going to be a lot of "I'd follow if he was free" cases, whereas he could have gotten a lot more paid followers by demonstrating his improved methods and showing substantial profits. Then again, if he really can't turn much of a profit, why not get whatever you can out of tout land when you can?
    edited October 2012
    Maybe, but unlikely. It's hard to break even on 1300 plays as a coin flipper. The average coin flipper would have lost 65 units on that many plays. I have to agree with Ed on this one, guru had potential. Remember that he got locked into the Spurs with some uncharacteristically large plays in the playoffs that cost him all of his profit. Hopefully he learned from that mistake of putting too many eggs in one basket (a bad basket in this case). I wish him luck, although I'm thinking he would have been better served to prove himself, as StevieY did, before going tout. As I see it, there's going to be a lot of "I'd follow if he was free" cases, whereas he could have gotten a lot more paid followers by demonstrating his improved methods and showing substantial profits. Then again, if he really can't turn much of a profit, why not get whatever you can out of tout land when you can?

I don't think he was a coin flipper, but I don't think he can win long term, either. There's a world of difference between a coin flipper and a guy who hits 52.4%, which is what I think he is. There's another world of difference between a guy who hits 52.4% and a guy who can consistently turn a profit. He's not that guy, imo. 1300 plays and up like 2 units is impressive, and 99% of posters can't do it, but it isn't worth paying for and it isn't close to me labeling him a winner.
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    hotbustop wrote: »
    Wow there is a lot of hatred for Dr bob yet the guy continues to win. Have used him for over a decade and am up. .

The longer back you go with dr b, the better you will be. He cleaned up back when it was way easier. According the records on his site, he is up a whopping 6.9 "stars" the last 6 years combined. Considering his avg play ( as he says) is 2.5 stars, we are looking at 2.76 units of profits in 6 years. Certainly better than 99.5% of touts, but also not profitable after the subscription price either.
  • homerplayerhomerplayer Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    durito wrote: »
    The longer back you go with dr b, the better you will be. He cleaned up back when it was way easier. According the records on his site, he is up a whopping 6.9 "stars" the last 6 years combined. Considering his avg play ( as he says) is 2.5 stars, we are looking at 2.76 units of profits in 6 years. Certainly better than 99.5% of touts, but also not profitable after the subscription price either.

but it is never a good idea to tell the books how you are beating them.
  • mako27mako27 Junior Member
    edited November 2012
    whats site of Dr.Bob where he posting now ?
    thanks in advance
    edited November 2012
    mako27 wrote: »
    whats site of Dr.Bob where he posting now ?
    thanks in advance

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dr.+bob+betting
  • namathfannamathfan Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    that was pretty good
  • UpsilonmanUpsilonman Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    That was great Tribe....lmfao!!
  • BeardedTacoBeardedTaco Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    Upsilonman wrote: »
    That was great Tribe....lmfao!!

You've been on the internet since 2002 and you've never seen a lmgtfy link?!? :)

On a more serious note, does NBA Guru even know that as a tout you gotta advertise? Sure Dr.Bob is a great window but why isn't he on this board telling us what he's offering? Heck with my large chunk of FTP $$$ coming next week I could do the board a favor and start tracking his plays. But he needs to be releasing mostly totals and many hours before game time to entice me and make it worth my time.
  • UpsilonmanUpsilonman Senior Member
    edited November 2012
    Lol, actually taco I have not seen that one. Weird as I figured that had prob been around awhile, but that was hilarious to see
  • MachineGunMachineGun Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    Goats wrote: »
    These questions should be directed towards Ed since it's his site, but I don't understand how or why he would initiate something like that. If Ed thought someone's picks were worth selling I'd imagine he'd want to set up a site for him himself and help promote it like StevieY's, not attempt to hook him up with another tout. So short answer is no, I have no idea how Guru and Dr. Bob formed a relationship, but I'm fairly certain Ed had nothing to do with it.

I'm late to circling back on this, but I find it pretty hard to believe because RAS was pumping GURU and StevieY quite equally on his twitter feed last season. Seems odd he would do that and not take an interest.
  • RightAngleRightAngle Admin
    edited December 2012
    MachineGun wrote: »
    I'm late to circling back on this, but I find it pretty hard to believe because RAS was pumping GURU and StevieY quite equally on his twitter feed last season. Seems odd he would do that and not take an interest.

I guess I have to be more careful with what I tweet, because I have caught a lot of flack for that. I was just trying to bring some attention to the forum when Guru was doing well.

Guru worked hard and came close, but I didn't think he had shown quite enough to start charging for his picks this year. Dr. Bob thought differently and he's off to a good (40-30) start. We wish him well.
  • LetItRideLetItRide Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    Hilarious. Didn't you post recently that he's up like 1 unit over 700 plays or something ridiculous like that?

If your unit is $25k, you are doing pretty well!
    edited December 2012
    RightAngle wrote: »
    I guess I have to be more careful with what I tweet, because I have caught a lot of flack for that. I was just trying to bring some attention to the forum when Guru was doing well.

Guru worked hard and came close, but I didn't think he had shown quite enough to start charging for his picks this year. Dr. Bob thought differently and he's off to a good (40-30) start. We wish him well.

Thanks for the thought out answer. That seems completely fair and I actually like when you do things like that to promote the site. I kindof feel like a dick for calling that out now, but this is a completely satisfying response to my question.
  • BigJoeyBigJoey Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    Guru is one of the good nba cappers out there. Very few last capping nba because its the hardest to cap. Longterm units won will be limited because of the difficulty capping nba, that's why I don't wager on it. Do we even have one sucessfull nba capper here that has a decent sample size. As crazy as it sounds I might consider his plays.
    edited December 2012
    BigJoey wrote: »
    Guru is one of the good nba cappers out there. Very few last capping nba because its the hardest to cap. Longterm units won will be limited because of the difficulty capping nba, that's why I don't wager on it. Do we even have one sucessfull nba capper here that has a decent sample size. As crazy as it sounds I might consider his plays.

I'm 218-174 here on BT over 4 years for +26.6, more + with weight. That includes 47-29 current season (this being the 4th). One losing year was 28-37, cut short by going back to school. Largest single season sample was ~104-77. I play sides only. Could be +/- on props, series, exotics etc but never tracked those since they are rare and aren't asked to be tracked.
  • BigJoeyBigJoey Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    machine, i been watching your thread and congrats, I did not realize you were capping nba here that long, my fault , always thought you were more the nfl guy. Good luck in the future with your picks.
  • NBA GuruNBA Guru Senior Member
    edited June 2013
    Bookbraker wrote: »

It's comments like this that help motivate me. Thank you to these doubters. A simple binomial distribution assuming 50/50 odds would suggest I beat 66-1 odds this year flipping my coins. Please keep doubting.

NBA GURU