Betting Talk

I don't post here often but....

MrEastMrEast Member
edited September 2012 in Sports Betting
when I do, there is usually something worth reading:

Head Coach John Harbaugh visited Art Modell as he lay on his death bed at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore last night.

Harbaugh had a special message for the former Ravens owner.

“I told him that we’re playing Monday night and that he was going to be there watching the game and we’re going to fight for him. And that we’re going to play our best football for Art Modell.”

With that, Harbaugh got his biggest response from Modell.

“Those eyes, those blue eyes were going right at me like, ‘You better, that’s what I expect,’” Harbaugh said. “I could only think to myself, ‘Yes, sir.’”

The Ravens always have a lot to play for, plenty of motivation. With the passing of Modell early Thursday morning, they have that much more.

“This season we will definitely dedicate to him and give it everything we got,” linebacker Ray Lewis

REMEMBER THIS POST:

Houston @ southern miss posted 5-1 +3.8
College Football - Houston Cougars @ Southern Miss Golden Eagles - Saturday November 20, 2010 8:00 pm
1 units (Normal) ATS: Southern Miss Golden Eagles -3.5 (-110)

Most by now are aware of the unfortunate incident involving 3 Southern Miss players at a night club on Sunday. The 3 players Tim Green a backup LB, Martez Smith also a LB who was out because of knee surgery, and Deddrick Jones DT, were shot. The good news is all 3 are aparently stable, but the bad news, as I understand, is Martez Smith is paralyzed from the wiast down. Thoughts and prayers go out to all at Southern Miss.

Several years ago I attended a motivational seminar run by a person that had risen from the ashes so to speak to return to glory. He told his story, and capsuled it with words I'll never forget.

"You'll never know how good you can be until your at the intersection of adversity and tragedy."

Truer words were never spoken, and these situations manifest themselves in sports over and over, not by choice but by life's obstacles. Let's rewind the clock and verify the truth in the statement:

DATELINE: October 2003: Brett Favre learns his dad passed away a day before a game on Monday Night Football. He decides to stand by his "family" of teammates and play. Favre goes out and passes for 399 yards 4 TD's and 0 INT's, with Green Bay leading 31-7 at the half in a 41-7 win

DATELINE: October 2005: Well-liked Wellington Marra, the owner of the Giants passes away. The Giants band together and dedicate their next game vs the Redskins to Marra. They win 36-0 as a 1 point favorite, holding Washington to 125 total yards.

DATELINE: October of last year: Uconn player Jasper Howard is murdered. The Uconn players fly to his funeral in Florida, and return to West Virginia to play the Mountaineers. Uconn rolls up 501 yards of offense, their most for the season, and also the most a very good West Virginia team would allow the entire season

DATELINE: March 2010: Evan Fjeld a Vermont basketball player has known his Mom has been fighting breast cancer for 6 years. Her and his Dad attend every game, rent a condo in Burlington,VT, and have the players over often. None knew, until near the final hours when he confided in his team how sick his mom was. She passes away right before the American East tournament. Vermont goes out and wins it all claiming an NCAA berth, and Fjeld has a double-double in the first game, and out-performs his season stats for the tournament

I think you get the message! I expect Southern Miss to come out and be the best they can be (see above)

It doesn't end there. I'm a fan of Southern Miss coach Larry Fedora. He is in his 3rd year, and took over a team that had just 10 starters back, 6 on offense with a departed QB. He started 2-6, but his team developed under his coaching and finished 4-0 to ensure anther winning season, which is now 17 straight years at Southern Miss. he went on to win his Bowl game as a dog. After the 2-6 start, Southern Miss went 4-0 outscoring the opponent 136-35.

Last year his team improved again down the stretch finishing 4-1. This year we are watching it again. Southern Miss has won 2 straight, and 3 out of 4. The offense this year returned 4 starters, and 1 offensive lineman, so it wasn't going to be pretty. Fedora brought this team together again, and the Golden Eagles have scored 40+ in 5 of their last 6. Fedora is now 11-1 down the stretch. Good coaches get their teams better as the season progresses, Fedora has done exactly that.

S MISS OFFENSE VS HOUSTON OFFENSE:

The Cougars are known for offense, as they have some gaudy numbers over the past few years. Unfortunately they are on their 3rd string QB, Dave Piland who has doe well, but as game film mounts on him he is having some difficulties adjusting, and he threw 5 INT's last week.

The Southern Miss offense has actually passed Houston over the last 6 weeks averaging 41.9ppg to Houstons 35.7ppg. The last 6 weeks Southern Miss would rank #6 in NCAAF on offense.

DEFENSE:

Southern Miss is ranked 26th while Houston ranks in the bottom 12, so expect Southern Miss who has at least as good an offense as Houston, to get more stops on defense and pull away.

BULLETIN BOARD MATERIAL:

Houston put up an amazing 750 yards on Southern Miss a year ago. That was a Southern Miss defense that ranked #77, instead of #26, and that was with Case Keenum, not David Piland. You think they haven't been reminded of that?

If you want to go for records, and stardom, be ready to pay the price down the road. Houston scoed 73 on Rice last year piling up 684 total yards. This year as a -9.5 favorite playing at Rice, they lost the game outright!

Houston piled up 695 yards on Tulsa last year, and this year lost to Tulsa as a favorite

How do you think teams react to that. I guarantee you Southern Miss is going to be on their "A" game all the way around, for many reasons.

SOUTHERN MISS GETS THE CALL (they also won 59-41)

I know what side I'm on!

Comments

• BigfistBigfist Member
    edited September 2012
    Modell was a worthless POS, and just because he is dead now doesn't somehow make him a saint. He was, without question, the worst businessman in the history of the world. He is the only guy in memory who could not make money owning an NFL team. Even after moving to Baltimore in a sweetheart deal, he lost money and had to sell out. He joins the ranks of Bin Laden, Hitler, and Saddam in hell.
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    wow bigfist. its as if you knew him personally with those comments. i personally don't know shit about him but I don't think the OPs point was to glorify the guy more than try to explain something that would motivate the ravens is all.
  • StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    hitler saddam and bin laden? really? thats a bit much. we are talking about football here right? not the killing of potentially millions....
  • hotbustophotbustop Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    If not for Art Modell, we may not be watching any football tonight. And that's a fact.
  • blackbullblackbull Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    I appreciate the post, but I can add two situations this past year that went the other way:

(1) Stephen Garcia loses his grandfather who he was extremely close too right before the Auburn game. Garcia goes out with one of his worst starts in his college football career, leading to a SU loss as a double digit fav for the Gamecocks. (I know b/c I anticipated Garcia to play lights out. I was wrong.)

(2) Last week, Auburn stud FB Jay Prosch loses mother to cancer (after he had transferred from Illinois to be close to her). The Tigs go out and lay an egg against a program they have dominated throughout SEC history.

Not saying you're wrong, but I do think different people respond to these type of things differently and the trick is being able to anticipate that response. I'd guess that these type of situations are +ev though over the long haul, but I just don't have the data to prove it one way or another. I also think it's real important to be able to gauge the other team's mo. Mississippi State clearly had a lot of mo going into last week so maybe that offset the Prosch factor.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Bigfist wrote: »
    Modell was a worthless POS, and just because he is dead now doesn't somehow make him a saint. He was, without question, the worst businessman in the history of the world. He is the only guy in memory who could not make money owning an NFL team. Even after moving to Baltimore in a sweetheart deal, he lost money and had to sell out. He joins the ranks of Bin Laden, Hitler, and Saddam in hell.

Your so off base you have no idea what your talking about. Come back when you know the true story of this man and how much he was loved and how even the intelligent people in Cleveland do not hold any animosity towards him.
  • BigfistBigfist Member
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, well ask those whose businesses depended on the Browns being in Cleveland that lost their business due to his greediness and see if they think he is a "great man." Don't think it didn't happen, because it did. He always claimed he had "no choice", to move the team, but that was an outright lie. It is equally a falsehood that Monday Night football was his brainchild. It wasn't, though he did offer to play in the first Monday night game. Modell and his family have perpetuated that lie for more than 40 years. Football was the growing sport TV wise with or without Modell. I think it was John Steinbeck who said if you tell a lie long enough, hard enough, and long enough, pretty soon people will believe it is the truth.

Think the people in Baltimore think Irsay was a "great man"? Ask the people who remember the Dodgers leaving Brooklyn, and ask them if they remember O'Malley fondly.

Rooney, Mara, and Wilson were far more influential owners than Modell could ever have hoped to be. The guy was a HORRIBLE businessman, and that was with constant sellouts at the stadium.

And he was the man to fire two hall of fame (or someday to be) coaches...Paul Brown and Belichick.
  • BigfistBigfist Member
    edited September 2012
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Your so off base you have no idea what your talking about. Come back when you know the true story of this man and how much he was loved and how even the intelligent people in Cleveland do not hold any animosity towards him.

"Intelligent people", as you say, know the difference between "your" and "you're." So don't start quoting intelligence to me. YOU come back when you know the difference between the two words. And you are way off...most people in Cleveland still hate him. Including "intelligent" people.
    edited September 2012
    It wasn't about Greed, Your so off base talking to you is now wasting my time you really know nothing about this man. I'm from Bklyn and yes old enough to remember the Dodgers and the Giants it was strictly business for both the Dodgers and the Giants they didn't want to leave until someone called there bluff. You need to get ed ju ma cated before you speak. Bigfist I'm thinking 9th grade.
    edited September 2012
    Just for starters see if you can get your hands on the HBO The 5 reasons why you can't blame Art Modell for leaving Cleveland. Then go from there and you'll understand who was really at fault. Also it's sad that people lost their businesses but to blame one man because you lost your business I'm not getting that what did they do when it was off season. The bars lost there Sunday Beer sales and that's what kept them in business.

On that point I'm not making fun it's sad to lose a business or a job I'm just not understanding.
    Momma said never speak bad of the dead. Show respect.
  • MrEastMrEast Member
    edited September 2012
    isn't it amazing, only in thi barbaric country, can someone offer a thought, and someone hijacks it into something so insane by comparison it is pathetic. We are talking about a single football game here where anything can happen, just presenting some facts. Pass or play or move on, geez.
    edited September 2012
    MrEast wrote: »
    isn't it amazing, only in thi barbaric country, can someone offer a thought, and someone hijacks it into something so insane by comparison it is pathetic. We are talking about a single football game here where anything can happen, just presenting some facts. Pass or play or move on, geez.

I apologize to you for getting off topic. Your trying to provide insight into an upcoming game and some of us took it to another level. It won't happen again.

OT
  • MrEastMrEast Member
    edited September 2012
    accepted, wasn't your fault, you have your own passion, and ideas, just wish when someone had to jump in to almost incite a riot, they would open their own thread, and take it there
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    MrEast wrote: »

Did you mean thy... (just kidding East)... couldn't resist after the your/you're correction...didn't know I needed the grammer book on a sports forum... on another note APPRECIATE the thought on today's game THANK YOU!! -R
  • MrEastMrEast Member
    edited September 2012
    ummmmm...I think that was their "A" game 44-13.....hopefully as much as the doubters reared their ugly heads here, perhaps some saw the value in what I presented, hope everyone has a great football season!
  • CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Always appreciate ur posts, was on Baltimore thanks to you.

Stop by more often sir.
  • cabster13cabster13 Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    Agree with Coops.... always welcome here! Placed xtra on Balt -7 based on your post!
  • eatdust11eatdust11 Senior Member
    edited September 2012
    I'm not going to get on here and pretend to know Art Modell in any way, but goodness.... comparing him to such evil people is ridiculous. The man clearly doesn't belong even close to that list of evil human beings who killed thousands.
    Bigfist wrote: »