Betting Talk

US National Soccer Team

Comments

• TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited June 2012
    cabster13 wrote: »
    I am sure those of you who follow international more than I do saw something in the last two USA games but all I saw is very sad soccer. Watching paint dry would have been more exciting than watching USA/Canada this evening. I have become a fan of the EPL and some overseas teams but this was simply not a good match this evening.

The US played much better in the 4-1 loss than they did tonight. Tonight's effort looked like an NFL preseason game, just wanting to get through it without injuries. Not sure that anyone could take much out of tonight's game (other than Dempsey making it through 90 minutes and Altidore getting a bit of a run).
  • increasedoddincreasedodd Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    The only teams we beat are small island nations. It's sad.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited June 2012
    The only teams we beat are small island nations. It's sad.

Think you're being a bit harsh. We had a good showing last world cup, recently beat Italy in Italy, and destroyed Scotland (not that friendlies matter a ton and Scotland stinks, but other than the WC, we're mostly going to be playing concacaf teams in non-friendlies). Brazil beat us and we slept through the Canada game. Of course we should have beaten Canada, but shit happens, especially in friendlies. Overall, I can't agree that the US team is worse than 10 years ago. Much of the current roster is comprised of players starting in top leagues around the world. We have a new coach, a new system, and perhaps most importantly, Klinnsmann is just now settling on a core group of 11-14 guys between injuries and trying out different players. Even then, he still has to figure out what to do with a healthy Dempsey and Donovan together along with the other midfielders that have played well.

I'd reserve judgment for a while. Someone who follows the sport more closely than I do can correct me if I'm off-base, but I don't think halfway between WC's and before WCQ's have even begun is a good time to judge a team, especially a team going through multiple changes in coaching, roster, and style of play.
  • kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Goats wrote: »
    Think you're being a bit harsh. We had a good showing last world cup, recently beat Italy in Italy, and destroyed Scotland (not that friendlies matter a ton and Scotland stinks, but other than the WC, we're mostly going to be playing concacaf teams in non-friendlies). Brazil beat us and we slept through the Canada game. Of course we should have beaten Canada, but shit happens, especially in friendlies. Overall, I can't agree that the US team is worse than 10 years ago. Much of the current roster is comprised of players starting in top leagues around the world. We have a new coach, a new system, and perhaps most importantly, Klinnsmann is just now settling on a core group of 11-14 guys between injuries and trying out different players. Even then, he still has to figure out what to do with a healthy Dempsey and Donovan together along with the other midfielders that have played well.

I'd reserve judgment for a while. Someone who follows the sport more closely than I do can correct me if I'm off-base, but I don't think halfway between WC's and before WCQ's have even begun is a good time to judge a team, especially a team going through multiple changes in coaching, roster, and style of play.

Just one comment, where they play means absolutely nothing, its if they actually play. Gootch would be a perfect example, with AC Milan for how long and I dont think he ever started a game. plus the number of leagues is so huge now, if you are not playing in europe at some point then either you dont want to or you are terrible. Anyone on the national level for any decent nation can be on a team in europe in one of the top leagues, the question is if they actually play.
    edited June 2012
    kass101 wrote: »
    Just one comment, where they play means absolutely nothing, its if they actually play. Gootch would be a perfect example, with AC Milan for how long and I dont think he ever started a game. plus the number of leagues is so huge now, if you are not playing in europe at some point then either you dont want to or you are terrible. Anyone on the national level for any decent nation can be on a team in europe in one of the top leagues, the question is if they actually play.

Fair enough on that point. You probably know I didn't mean Gooch based on my earlier comments, I don't want him starting any more than you do. I had more Howard, Dempsey, Bradley, Bocanegra, Edu, and the Bundesliga guys in mind. You'd have to tell me the quality of the leagues that the other guys play in. I was just trying to make a general point that the roster has guys playing in better leagues than it did in the past. Perhaps I'm wrong. As I've mentioned, I follow our national teams, but not international club soccer. Just trying to contribute where I can since I enjoy the sport so much (only sport I miss playing as a fairly athletic kid growing up and only sport I really care to watch outside of the NFL).
    edited June 2012
    Fair enough on that point. You probably know I didn't mean Gooch based on my earlier comments, I don't want him starting any more than you do. I had more Howard, Dempsey, Bradley, Bocanegra, Edu, and the Bundesliga guys in mind. You'd have to tell me the quality of the leagues that the other guys play in. I was just trying to make a general point that the roster has guys playing in better leagues than it did in the past. Perhaps I'm wrong. As I've mentioned, I follow our national teams, but not international club soccer. Just trying to contribute where I can since I enjoy the sport so much (only sport I miss playing as a fairly athletic kid growing up and only sport I really care to watch outside of the NFL).

I was just making a general comment. The thing is apart from the guys you mentioned no one else really plays at a high level in europe. A few in the Mexican league, a few in the MLS.
    edited June 2012
    I was just making a general comment. The thing is apart from the guys you mentioned no one else really plays at a high level in europe. A few in the Mexican league, a few in the MLS.

We've got all of those guys, Landon who obviously could be playing in the Prem, 3 different guys in Germany (Cherundolo, Jones, Johnson), Chandler (who knows what will happen), Lichaj (worked his way into Aston Villa's starting lineup by the end of the year), and Holden (a starter at Bolton when healthy). And even someone like Jozy (played for a Europa team). That's so far beyond the number of guys that we had playing in top leagues overseas at any other point in time that it isn't even close. A decade ago, there is no way that a guy like Lichaj that was seeing minutes in the Prem wouldn't have even been called into this camp. Even Bedoya played 12 games this year for Rangers this year.

Look how far US soccer has come in a generation. Say that a generation is 20-25 years. Here is the US Roster for the 1990 World Cup (along with where guys were playing at the time).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_FIFA_World_Cup_squads#United_States

We're growing by leaps and bounds. Not there yet, but we're certainly on the right trajectory.
    edited June 2012
    Edgar Castillo was hurt at practice yesterday, and it sounds like Fabian Johnson will also be held out. Sounds like Bocanegra might shift over, and then we'll go with a Gooch/Goodson pairing in the middle tonight. Let's really hope that Johnson is ready to go on Tuesday.
    edited June 2012
    TommyL wrote: »
    Edgar Castillo was hurt at practice yesterday, and it sounds like Fabian Johnson will also be held out. Sounds like Bocanegra might shift over, and then we'll go with a Gooch/Goodson pairing in the middle tonight. Let's really hope that Johnson is ready to go on Tuesday.

+1

Obviously shouldn't matter tonight, but our back line is getting even scarier at this rate.

I made one last attempt to get my wife to go to the game tonight, but no dice. She's a soccer fan, grew up playing, saw a 94 WC match with her dad while in HS, etc., but we're leaving for a cruise on Sunday and today's her last day of work (teacher) and just had too much stuff to do. Oh well.
  • beefcakebeefcake Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    +1

Obviously shouldn't matter tonight, but our back line is getting even scarier at this rate.

I made one last attempt to get my wife to go to the game tonight, but no dice. She's a soccer fan, grew up playing, saw a 94 WC match with her dad while in HS, etc., but we're leaving for a cruise on Sunday and today's her last day of work (teacher) and just had too much stuff to do. Oh well.

Nice, the whole summer off with your wife to do stuff! Have fun on the cruise!
    edited June 2012
    beefcake wrote: »
    Nice, the whole summer off with your wife to do stuff! Have fun on the cruise!

Thanks. I definitely do enjoy the summers with my wife, always considered that a huge perk of my job, although they're not exactly "off" these days with MLB and WNBA... but definitely not busy like the fall/winter, so close enough. (Sorry to get off-topic Tommy).
    edited June 2012
    Thanks. I definitely do enjoy the summers with my wife, always considered that a huge perk of my job, although they're not exactly "off" these days with MLB and WNBA... but definitely not busy like the fall/winter, so close enough. (Sorry to get off-topic Tommy).

No problem. If you stray too far, I'll just set-up a thread for "Goats and his wife" and move this stuff over there. :)

I've never been to a WCQ (and I think we mentioned in another thread that we both missed the boat on hitting a 94 World Cup game). I'm really hoping that Philly picks up one of the Hex games (assuming that we make it through), and I'll make sure not to miss it. They didn't exactly give you the most exciting game down there tonight, and between the last day of school and vacation, I can certainly see why she'd want to skip it. My wife is in a school too, but we still have another week to go up here.
    edited June 2012
    Nice weather... no regrets whatsoever about not going to the game now, lol.
    edited June 2012
    There's a new way to get more midfielders on the field... start Torres in the back.
    edited June 2012
    There's a new way to get more midfielders on the field... start Torres in the back.

I love it and I think we all know why.

How ironic with Jurgen talking about a game against Canada that the U23 underestimated....

oh wait now Jurgen is equating violent and tough crowds to the people being poor... wow what an interview.
    edited June 2012
    I'm hoping that the ref just found a rectangular yellow thing in his pocket at halftime and is asking his partners what it's for..
    edited June 2012
    Obviously the US left back position is cursed. Here comes everyone's favorite defender!
    edited June 2012
    Obviously the US left back position is cursed. Here comes everyone's favorite defender!

Wow is he bad.
  • metagear89metagear89 Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    Holden is not a good player. Overrated by US soccer fans.

If anything, I would like to see Brad Friedel back in the national team squad. He's still good and proves it every weekend in the premiership.
    TommyL wrote: »
    We've got all of those guys, Landon who obviously could be playing in the Prem, 3 different guys in Germany (Cherundolo, Jones, Johnson), Chandler (who knows what will happen), Lichaj (worked his way into Aston Villa's starting lineup by the end of the year), and Holden (a starter at Bolton when healthy). And even someone like Jozy (played for a Europa team). That's so far beyond the number of guys that we had playing in top leagues overseas at any other point in time that it isn't even close. A decade ago, there is no way that a guy like Lichaj that was seeing minutes in the Prem wouldn't have even been called into this camp. Even Bedoya played 12 games this year for Rangers this year.

Look how far US soccer has come in a generation. Say that a generation is 20-25 years. Here is the US Roster for the 1990 World Cup (along with where guys were playing at the time).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_FIFA_World_Cup_squads#United_States

We're growing by leaps and bounds. Not there yet, but we're certainly on the right trajectory.
    edited June 2012

What a joke... I am beyond words right now, I mean I played soccer as a kid am 6'3", and played Div I athletics in another sport. If I knew I could be that bad and still play for the US National team I might have stuck to soccer.

Oh wait I chose a sport I was actually good at....
    edited June 2012
    metagear89 wrote: »
    If anything, I would like to see Brad Friedel back in the national team squad. He's still good and proves it every weekend in the premiership.

Think we have far more pressing matters than who the backup keeper is.
    edited June 2012
    What a joke... I am beyond words right now, I mean I played soccer as a kid am 6'3", and played Div I athletics in another sport. If I knew I could be that bad and still play for the US National team I might have stuck to soccer.

Oh wait I chose a sport I was actually good at....

Yeah, I was a keeper through high school... he's the type of defender that would scare the shit out of me.
    edited June 2012

I agree but pretty sure Brad said he is done with the national team, hes better than our backup for sure. But Holden is better than Edu, Torres, Jones, I could go on. The guy is a dynamic player.
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, I was a keeper through high school... he's the type of defender that would scare the shit out of me.

My dad was a keeper at a high level, hence why he forced me into soccer. That is the kind of defender you punch after a match and if he plays again you lay into your coach.

The problem is the coach is the one who keeps putting him in there, like he wants to lose and not develop any of his younger players. Are we really that bad in the back that we lose 2 players and have to put Torres at LB? I mean fuck.
    edited June 2012

Before he got hurt in the middle of the 2010-2011 season, he was probably having a better season than any American had ever had in the Prem (until Dempsey came along and blew it away). I don't see how he could be considered by anyone "not a good player" pre-injury.
    edited June 2012
    Just finished watching the Mexico game. We were like mirror images of each other tonight. Possess the ball for most of the game, play a team that puts 10-11 behind the ball most of the time, tons of wasted opportunities, and giving up a bad goal on a counter. Really hope that Johnson is ready to go, as there isn't a good Plan B right now. Things are bad enough that I sorta wish we had Bornstein in camp. There is little doubt in my mind that Chandler would have started both qualifiers. Two positives from tonight...we won, and Boyd is now cap-tied.
    edited June 2012
    That flew over your head(no pun intended) What I meant to say is that I would take Friedel over Howard as the starting keeper
    Think we have far more pressing matters than who the backup keeper is.
    edited June 2012
    And that's not saying much because those aren't the best of players to begin with
    I agree but pretty sure Brad said he is done with the national team, hes better than our backup for sure. But Holden is better than Edu, Torres, Jones, I could go on. The guy is a dynamic player.
    edited June 2012
    Anyone else see the game last night? Not the best performance, but it wasn't terrible to get a point out of that game (especially in conjunction with Jamaica only taking one point in Antigua). Fabian Johnson had another great performance, and I thought Bradley and Jones did a pretty good job in the midfield. As much as I love Dempsey, his 30 yard shots that miss the goal by a mile get a little frustrating (then again, I was yelling at him when the shot was on it's way for his goal against England in the last World Cup). Getting out of Guatemala without any injuries is also a plus, as they yet again hacked the hell out of us (not that the US didn't give some in return too). It's amazing seeing the difference in officiating between the Euros and CONCACAF, this game would have seen about 15 yellow cards if it was a Euro game.

Big one coming up next in September at Jamaica. If the US can take a point from that one, I think we'd be almost a lock to move on. Even a loss wouldn't be the end of the world if we can come back and win the home game a few days later.

As for the quality of the feed last night, what a joke. My wife asked me if I was watching an old game on ESPN Classic. Guess $30 doesn't get you what it used to (guess I can't complain too much though, at least it was available).
  • pokerjoepokerjoe Member
    edited June 2012
    I'm glad we get a break until the next games. Get Torres back, get Lichaj on the roster (he showed well at the end of AV's season), and maybe even get Holden back (well, that's a stretch, considering he'll need to work his way back into shape). Might even have to put Ream on the team, too (he was non-horrible at Bolton), although Torres at LB was functional and interesting. Also I think Klinsmann over-trained the squad, they've been looking flat at game's end for the past few.

Most disappointing to me is Gooch not looking ready to play. For Sporting Lisbon he's been good, and POR1 is a good league, far better than MLS, so I'm surprised he hasn't been able to show more.

Also, I wish LD would play for us like he does for Everton, not like he does for the Galaxy.

I disagree with the poster who didn't think much of Holden. He was at least 3rd team all-EPL the year before, the best player on a mid-table Bolton team (mid-table that year, iirc), and really adds a lot to the US, really fits where we need him. I like Edu and Torres (I have a house in Pachuca), but I'd rather have a healthy Holden by far.

I agree about Friedel being very good still, but he's done playing with the Nats, and isn't really missed as long as Howard is healthy. But I also bet that if Howard got injured, push come to shove Brad would show up. Hell, after the crappy showing the young GKs made in the Olympic quals, he might still be needed for 2k14 (knock on wood that we qual).