Betting Talk

US National Soccer Team

TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
edited March 2013 in Sports Betting
Thought we could use a thread to talk about the US Men's busy summer. Here is their schedule over the next month...

Saturday, 5/26 vs. Scotland (Friendly)
Wednesday, 5/30 vs. Brazil (Friendly)
Sunday, 6/3 @ Canada (Friendly)
Friday, 6/8 vs. Antigua & Barbuda (CONCACAF WCQ)
Tuesday, 6/12 @ Guatemala (CONCACAF WCQ)

After that, things kick up again in August with a friendly at Azteca against Mexico, and more World Cup Qualifiers in September and October.

Those who pay attention to US Soccer (including myself) are a little disappointed on two fronts right now. First, Timmy Chandler turned down a callup for the friendlies and qualifiers. Right now, he's still a "free agent" since the games that he played for the US were only friendlies and he needs to play in a qualifier or Gold Cup to become tied to the US (and he turned down the Gold Cup invite last summer), however many think that he'll never get a serious look from Germany and would really be throwing away a good opportunity if he doesn't join the US team (he's German born and raised, but his dad was a US serviceman so he has eligibility to either country). He's very talented so that alone would make him a disappointing loss for us, but even more importantly he's an outside back which has been a huge area of concern for the US for many years (exhibit A is Bornstein having to play key minutes for the US in the last world cup).

The second piece of bad news isn't on the playing front, it's on the television front. The away qualifier in Guetamala will only be available via pay-per-view, at 29.95 a pop. The US Soccer federation is very disappointed in this development, but Guetamala put it out to bid and the "PPV company" outbid ESPN and NBC, so you'll have to fork over $ to see it (or find an illegal stream). Disappointing news at a time when soccer is gaining more and more viewers domestically. And the other two away qualifiers in this round (Jamaica and Antigua) are both appearing to head down the same path. Just tough news for US soccer fans that 50% of the World Cup Qualifiers in this round will potentially not be available in the US unless you're shelling out $, tough to keep growing the game with this situation.

Anyways, looking forward to the Scotland game on Saturday (8pm Eastern on NBCSports), as we'll hopefully get our first look at both Landon and Dempsey on the field at the same time under Jurgen. (Edit - Sounds like Altiodore and Dempsey will both be unavailable on Saturday, so we'll have to wait)

Comments

• GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited May 2012
    If I wasn't sick as a dog right now I'd chime in. Thanks for starting the thread though. I'll contribute eventually.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Klinsmann just announced the final roster for the next 5 games...

FULL USMNT TRAVEL SQUAD

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7): Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Oguchi Onyewu (Sporting CP), Michael Parkhurst (Nordsjaelland)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Jose Torres (Pachuca)

FORWARDS (6): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Borussia Dortmund), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Santos Laguna), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
  • beefcakebeefcake Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Fuck paying 30.00 to watch soccer..
    edited May 2012
    beefcake wrote: »
    Fuck paying 30.00 to watch soccer..

I'm torn on it. I don't want to add to their bottom line and make it more likely at they'll do it in the future. However, I also can't see myself missing a WCQ. I'm sure that I'll end up spending the $30 and getting it.
    edited May 2012
    Some exciting news for US Soccer that's hot off the press (well, it's still a rumor I guess)...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/blog/post/2012/05/25/report-pan-american-cup-be-held-usa

It's looking like a 16 team tournament will be held in the US in 2016 that will feature 6 teams from CONCACAF and the 10 teams from South America. Will be great for soccer in this country if it all goes through and we get the US, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, and the rest playing meaningful games here in a tournament setting (it would be the biggest men's soccer event to be held here since the World Cup in 94).
    edited May 2012
    TommyL wrote: »
    I'm torn on it. I don't want to add to their bottom line and make it more likely at they'll do it in the future. However, I also can't see myself missing a WCQ. I'm sure that I'll end up spending the $30 and getting it.

This is how I would feel if I wasn't going to be on a cruise that week.

I would also be going to the Tampa game but the timing just didn't work out. Oh well.
    edited May 2012
    Tommy (or anyone who follows the MNT), do you have any feel for what our top lineup should look like right now (either what you'd personally prefer or what you think Klinsmann will wind up with). I know it's early and, as Tommy mentioned, we haven't even seen Dempsey/Donovan together in months, I only ask b/c as someone who doesn't follow any club soccer, I'm not overly familiar with a lot of the foreign-based players Kilinsmann has been using (mostly the German and Mexican based players). I've seen the guys he's used in friendlies but b/t the nature of friendlies and various injuries, I have no feel for who the top guys are outside of the remaining starters that have been there for years (Howard, Bocanegra, Cherundolo, Donovan, Dempsey, etc.)

I guess I'm asking for a crash course in the state of the current roster if anyone has the time and is so inclined.t
  • kass101kass101 Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Goats wrote: »
    Tommy (or anyone who follows the MNT), do you have any feel for what our top lineup should look like right now (either what you'd personally prefer or what you think Klinsmann will wind up with). I know it's early and, as Tommy mentioned, we haven't even seen Dempsey/Donovan together in months, I only ask b/c as someone who doesn't follow any club soccer, I'm not overly familiar with a lot of the foreign-based players Kilinsmann has been using (mostly the German and Mexican based players). I've seen the guys he's used in friendlies but b/t the nature of friendlies and various injuries, I have no feel for who the top guys are outside of the remaining starters that have been there for years (Howard, Bocanegra, Cherundolo, Donovan, Dempsey, etc.)

I guess I'm asking for a crash course in the state of the current roster if anyone has the time and is so inclined.t

Well our defense sucks im sure of that. The fact that Onyewu is even on the roster shows the sad state of the back line. The guy is a fucking stiff.
    edited May 2012
    kass101 wrote: »
    Well our defense sucks im sure of that. The fact that Onyewu is even on the roster shows the sad state of the back line. The guy is a fucking stiff.

This much I'm aware of, but thanks for chiming in. Gooch is slow as shit, no argument there.

Going back over this 23-man roster, I guess I'm not as unfamiliar with most of the team as I thought. I'm more wondering what the depth chart looks like, but from doing some reading, sounds like a lot of it is still up in the air, even if you follow the team closely.

I also read Dempsey isn't playing tonight (neither is Altidore, but I've gone back and forth on him), but should be in there vs. Brazil. So I'm guessing we see yet another semi-random lineup as Klinsmann continues to try to decide on who the top 11 really are. Why did Brek Shea get left off the roster? Not that I'm overly fond of him, but it sure seemed like Klinsmann was.
    edited May 2012
    If we were playing a world cup qualifier tonight (and Dempsey/Altidore were healthy), here is what I'd expect...
    Howard
    Cherundolo---Onyewu---Bocanegra---Fabian Johnson
    Bradley---Jones

Donovan----Torres
    Dempsey

Altidore

Based on what he has available and his comments about how much he likes Torres, I think we'd come out with the lineup above, which would be a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3 depending on how you look at Donovan and Dempsey's roles. The "newcomer" that has the best chance to play is Fabian Johnson, as I think he's clearly the best option at left back right now. Off the bench, someone like Boyd/Gomez could come in and add some more punch up top, Edu come in for some more support in the midfield, and someone like Parkhurst could come into the back line. The hope of a lot of the USMT supporters is that guys like Cherundolo/Bocanegra/Gooch get overtaken in two years, but Cherundolo especially seems to somehow keep getting better with age. It's so tough to project what will happen in two years (looking back at our first qualifier in the last cycle in June of 2008, you had Mastroeni, Brian Ching, Heath Pearce, and Beasley all starting, with Eddie Lewis getting minutes off the bench and guys like Hejduk and Danny Califf available on the bench).

I think tonight, you'll see a pretty strong lineup starting (minus Jozy and Dempsey), but then liberal subs at halftime and in the second half to see pretty much everyone. The X-factor for the next couple years in my mind is Stewart Holden. He's battled so many injuries over the last year and a half, but before they started he was playing so well and would have been one of the three best players on the squad. The other x-factor is Charlie Davies. He's still only 25 years old but I'm really starting to think that he's just never going to get back to 100%. Such a shame if he doesn't, as he was just scratching the surface before the injury. And then of the young guys, we have a couple of potential prospects in Agudelo (who I'm sure you know of well), Joe Corona, and Terrance Boyd. Boyd is especially interesting as he's never even played a game at the full club level (he's been stuck on the reserves at German Champ Borussia Dortmund), however he got a cap in the Italy game and looked great for the under-23 team. And then there is Freddy Adu, who is miraculously is still just 22 years old.

Really, there are a lot of directions that Jurgen can go with the current pool. It'll be interesting to see how the next couple of weeks play out, as he specifically has mentioned that he packed these 5 games tightly together to mimick a tournament setting. We should know a lot more about his direction a month from now.

And I also forgot to mention some of the younger guys on the back line, like Lichaj and Tim Ream, who may end up playing key minutes down the road at some point in the cycle.
    edited May 2012
    Why did Brek Shea get left off the roster? Not that I'm overly fond of him, but it sure seemed like Klinsmann was.

He's had a recent dip in form. I forgot to mention him, but I think he's one of those guys that might be a little raw today, but will probably play a role in 2014.

I don't hate Gooch as much as many others have. With him, you know what you get. A guy that is good in tight spaces and will play physical and win every ball in the air, but not someone that will be able to stay with a quick player or play well in space. If you have enough speed around him, he's useful. If not, he gets exposed.
    edited May 2012
    This much I'm aware of, but thanks for chiming in. Gooch is slow as shit, no argument there.

I figured you were, just it really bothers me at the lack of development of American defensive players. I think we are strong pretty much everywhere else.
    edited May 2012
    Thanks Tommy, I feel caught up now (and like I added above, I wasn't as out of touch as I thought).

I think we discussed Holden before, agree with you about him 100%, his injuries really are a shame. Davies too of course. I mean, he's somewhat lucky to be alive, let alone playing again, given that it was a car accident, not a soccer injury, but I think Holden returning would have a much bigger impact than Davies. Until one of our forwards sets himself apart from the crowd (Altidore is likely our best option right now, but that doesn't mean he's good enough) and/or one of the young guys goes from promising to proven, I'll probably go back to my "might as well put Dempsey up top" stance from the last WC. I'd rather have a healthy Donovan/Dempsey/Holden on the field and figure out a formation than just start a forward who happens to be the best pure forward from what we have to choose from. That said, Holden has to be healthy first, and Altidore may finally prove himself, so who knows? If nothing else, we can certainly use the two years between now and 2014 to figure things out.
    edited May 2012
    Really nice effort for the US last night. This certainly wasn't a full strength Scotland team, however we made them look worse than they were. That was the best game that I've seen Jones play, Landon is just so good at taking advantage of his opportunities around the goal, Bradley seemed to do whatever he wanted with the ball. And all of that was without Dempsey and Altidore. If Holden can really get back for 2014, I have a hard time figuring out how they'll work out the midfield and forwards, as a healthy Holden should be starting along with Dempsey, Landon, Bradley, Jones (if he's playing like that), and Altidore (if he continues progressing like he has and no one catches him). And this still leaves guys like Torres (who looked very dangerous last night), Boyd/Corona (both will be key guys down the road, just a matter of when), Agudelo, Edu, etc. I agree with Goats in that I think out best lineup features Dempsey up top (since we have so much depth in the midfield, and he's the one who is best suited to push forward and play with his back to the goal a little bit).

Wednesday night will be a very interesting test. This is an extremely young Brazil team, however they looked very sharp against Denmark yesterday. We're not going to have nearly the possession that we had on Saturday, so I'll be very curious to see if we're still looking to play from the back and midfield and work the ball up the field, or if we'll revert back to the days of packing it in a little more and trying to create offense via long balls and counters.
    edited May 2012
    I don't have too much to add, agree with almost everything you said, especially regarding the plethora of midfielders. I thought Jones looked good as well and, as I'm sure you guessed, can't see my opinion changing regarding using Dempsey up top with how things currently stand.

The WNT had too many talented forwards and moved them elsewhere to get the best players on the field (O'Hara was mostly moved to the back b/c of Krieger's injury, but you get the idea).

The MNT seems to have many talented midfielders and no proven forward (at least compared to the midfielders), so I'd still rather move Dempsey up top if that means getting our best eleven on the field.

One aspect you didn't touch on was the defense, which of course wasn't really tested vs. Scotland outside of the own-goal. I'm curious to see how the offense plays vs. Brazil, but I'm even more interested in seeing how we defend.
    edited May 2012
    Looks like we're sticking with a similiar formation as Saturday. Only changes are Gomez for Boyd up top and Gooch for Cameron in the back.
    edited May 2012
    Looks like we're sticking with a similiar formation as Saturday. Only changes are Gomez for Boyd up top and Gooch for Cameron in the back.

Gooch looked great on that second goal....

Just start Joe Corona please.
    edited May 2012
    kass101 wrote: »
    Gooch looked great on that second goal....

Just start Joe Corona please.

How do you blame him? He marked his man, Jones didn't.
    edited May 2012
    How do you blame him? He marked his man, Jones didn't.

That's what I saw.

That said, still not a Gooch fan.
    edited May 2012
    what man he stood right in the middle of the box and watched guys run around him. he didnt do anything.

The ball was in the air and the Brazil player ran right in front of him to go get the ball and he just stood there. He is so slow it is embarrassing. The ball was in the air you have to do something.
    edited May 2012
    3rd goal was even worse, whole back line standing there marking no one.
    edited May 2012
    Now the 4th one, that one was his fault.
  • hornhorn Super Moderator
    edited May 2012
    I will die a happy man if Gooch and Cherundolo never get another cap. Fabian Johnson was absolutely fantastic tonight and I hope Gomez can continue to get opportunities to show he should be the single up top if we aren't playing the 4-4-2. Neymar is ridiculous...
    edited June 2012
    I haven't read anything definitive about tonight's lineup, but it sounds promising...

"Clint looks good," Klinsmann said. "He looks ready to go, and we're very happy about that."

"It took a while to get them together – they had the first taste against Brazil. Now they're ready to go from the beginning."

Source: http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1679/us-national-team/2012/06/03/3145031/donovan-and-dempsey-set-to-start-together-for-first-time
    edited June 2012
    Starting XI for #USAvCAN - Howard; Cherundolo, Goodson, Bocanegra (capt.), Johnson; Bradley, Jones, Donovan, Torres; Dempsey, Gomez
    edited June 2012
    Ugh. Fabian Johnson hurt in warmups, Castillo in for him.
    edited June 2012
    Ugh. Fabian Johnson hurt in warmups, Castillo in for him.

Yeah, shame, he's been the bright spot back there. They said it was just a calf strain, so hopefully he'll be ok by Friday.
  • increasedoddincreasedodd Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    The U.S. team should shut down. They are atrocious and I think worse now than 10 years ago. Yikes.

Love soccer, but rooting for them is painful.
  • cabster13cabster13 Senior Member
    edited June 2012
    I am sure those of you who follow international more than I do saw something in the last two USA games but all I saw is very sad soccer. Watching paint dry would have been more exciting than watching USA/Canada this evening. I have become a fan of the EPL and some overseas teams but this was simply not a good match this evening.
    edited June 2012
    The U.S. team should shut down. They are atrocious and I think worse now than 10 years ago. Yikes.

Love soccer, but rooting for them is painful.

The skill level is higher than 10 years ago, and the player pool is much, much deeper. However, we're playing a different style and trying to control the ball instead of playing long balls and countering.

Pretty uninspired effort tonight, looked like a team that needs a few days of rest to recharge right now before the two games that matter. Hopefully Johnson is ready to go for the Guatemala game (I'd just assume keep him out of Antigua unless he's feeling really good).