Betting Talk

Box office thoughts on Battleship and The Dictator..

beefcakebeefcake Senior Member
edited May 2012 in Sports Betting
Figure we could have a fun discussion early in the week on how well or poor these will do come Friday..(Dictator on Wed).Please feel free to weigh in on how good or bad you think these 3 movies will do.Maybe help to get some opinions generally on box office.Obviously we wont know lines till Thursday when Intertops posts em.Most likely only odds for Battleship/Expecting since they come out Friday.

My take on this week.

Battleship... Besides the fact I will never see a movie with Rihanna in it,I do think this will do fairly well.They seem to have made it much like Transformers with the aliens and effects.Liam Neeson will but butts in the seats.Seems to have found a new niche as an action star somewhat.

The Dictator...I think modest business.Not a guerrilla flick like Borat and Bruno, but script and plot.Not sure how folks will take Baron-Cohen in this one.Gun to my head I think it does less than expected..

What to expect when youre expecting..Not a frigging clue..

Comments

• GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited May 2012
    My impression with no research is that Battleship will bomb (no pun intended) compared to what I'm guessing the studio is hoping for (again, no research, I'm just assuming it was big budget and it's been so over-advertised they seem desperate). Transformers minus the Transformers = horribly dumb action/alien movie to me. I'd rather see The Avengers for a 3rd time (saw it again last night b/c my in-laws were visiting for mother's day weekend and wanted to see it and were paying).

No idea on the other two, but agree with your lean on Dictator.
  • thecaptain12thecaptain12 Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    Dictator will out battle Battleship. Lots of Sacha Baron Cohen fans out there. Will not do as much as Borat but will beat Bruno. Battleship will still make 25+ million but both Dictator and Avengers will do better
  • hornhorn Super Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Girl I used to date was Elizabeth Banks' body double in What to Expect. She went to the premiere last week and finally saw it in its' entirety. Considering how biased I would be if I were in a movie, she didn't seem to think it was all that great. I don't know how much word of mouth can impact an opening weekend, but figured I'd at least share that aside from her being the movie - the group that went didn't really think that much of it.