Betting Talk

Paid03 NBA 3/26 to 4/1 YTD 35-14-1 (70%)

paid03paid03 Senior Member
edited May 2012 in Sports Betting
Keep in mind that my picks are primarily based on market analysis and situational power rankings, the following write-ups are not exhaustive as to the factors that led to my booking each play.

All power rankings are SOS weighted and split exclusively between home and road performance. Home performance has no effect on a team’s road power ranking and vice-versa.

Plays:

Indiana Pacers +3

Stake: 2.2 to win 2 units

The Heat are still the public’s darling, so every time the odds makers can get the Heat to lose ATS they win money. Every Heat line will be auto-inflated for the remainder of the year. Vegas would love to push the Heat’s cover rate down to where the Laker’s is right now (44%), and rob the public like bandits.

It definitely helps the Pacers that they have 2 PG’s that are better than either Heat PG. The Pacers also have a lot of big men that will give the Heat’s soft interior fits.

Referee assignments:
  • Ed Malloy: 21-15-2 home team ATS record
  • Haywoode Workman: 13-18-1 home team ATS record
  • Gary Zielinski: 16-23 home team ATS record

Milwaukee Bucks +5.5

The Bucks are another counter-intuitive team that plays better on the road. The Knicks used to be much the same, but have gotten better at home recently. However, the Knicks are still about the same at home as they are on the road, so we are gaining a virtual double-edge from the universal home court adjustment.

I think everyone now realizes that Monta Ellis isn’t nearly as good as he seemed in Golden State, however, he does fill the role as a situational scorer that the Bucks have needed all season. Many of us have seen their blunderous 4th quarters and failures to seal the deal late in the game this season. I think the Bucks are a far better team than the Knicks, at this point in the season.

Now, for the most exciting part of this match-up.. Tony “ROAD COVERS” Brothers will be calling this game, and he even has a little extra help, with another road favoring ref in Courtney Kirkland. Nothing is more obnoxious Knicks fans in MSG, so these refs will not be looking to hand many favorable calls to this Knicks team, especially after the crowd heckles then in the first quarter.

Referee assignments:
  • Tony “Road Covers” Brothers: 15-24 home team ATS record
  • Courtney Kirkland: 14-22 home team ATS record
  • Marat Kogut: 19-12-1 home team ATS record

The Knicks have 2 of the most road favoring refs in the league working against them tonight, a Knicks cover would truly surprise me.

Denver Nuggets +8

The Bulls are still covering 60% of spreads and have odds makers in auto-inflate mode on Bulls lines. The Nuggets are a full 6 points better on the road, according to my rankings and the Bulls are also better on the road, so we gain another universal home court adjustment double-edge.

Both of these teams are banged-up, the Bulls are finally starting to feel the effects of Rose’s absence. This Nuggets team is without Nene, as they had been at times before he was traded. However, they have Kenneth “Manimal’ Faried to hold things down in the paint and are very much the same team that has shocked several big time NBA contenders this season. By the way, Faried’s Roland rating is higher than Nene’s ever was, at +4.8 he doubles Nene’s +2.5 while he was with the Nuggets. The Nuggets are just fine down low. Faried is a forward, but holds the paint down like a center.

Referee assignments:
  • Bill Kennedy: 17-19 home team ATS record
  • JT Orr: 16-17-1 home team ATS record
  • Leon Wood: 19-19 home team ATS record

Comments

• crazyivan24crazyivan24 Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    OMG i took the Knicks -4, FML. I' also wagered on Nugs and Pacers myself (doubled down on those) GL.
  • tEABAGtEABAG Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Nice day again paid.
  • crazyivan24crazyivan24 Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Good job paid!
  • paid03paid03 Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Keep in mind that my picks are primarily based on market analysis and situational power rankings, the following write-ups are not exhaustive as to the factors that led to my booking each play.

All power rankings are SOS weighted and split exclusively between home and road performance. Home performance has no effect on a team’s road power ranking and vice-versa.

Plays:

Cleveland Cavaliers +9

Referee assignments:

Tony Brothers: 16-24 home team ATS record
    Rodney Mott: 25-13 home team ATS record
    James Williams: 16-18 home team ATS record

Portland Trail Blazers +5

Referee assignments:
    • Tom Washington: 23-13 home team ATS record
    • Pat Fraher: 23-14-1 home team ATS record
    • Mark Lindsay: 22-15 home team ATS record

HUGE home referee advantage for the Blazers.

Write-ups to follow.
    edited March 2012

Plays:

Cleveland Cavaliers +9

You should know by now that I rate Cavs better on the road than at home, so we are picking up an edge for the universal home court adjustment. Philly plays about the same weather they are at home or on the road.

Andre Iguodala is likely to miss tonight’s game. He is the Sixers co-MVP, with a Roland rating of +5.9. Everybody saw how bad the Sixers can be without Iguodala, when they got trampled by the Duncan-less, Splitter-less Spurs.

The Cavs are an extremely talented young team and the Sessions trade opened-up more minutes for rookie phenom, Kyrie Irving. I also would not sleep on Luke Walton helping this team in a limited role, he had a very good Roland rating of +3.9 with the Lakers this year. Walton is a more capable player than many thing, but that is not really a factor in this game.

Brothers wasn’t able to skew the Bucks game enough to get a road cover last night. I consider him more likely to get a road cover tonight, since he didn’t last night.

Referee assignments:
    • Tony Brothers: 16-24 home team ATS record
    • Rodney Mott: 25-13 home team ATS record
    • James Williams: 16-18 home team ATS record

Portland Trail Blazers +5

The Thunder are another public darling, like the Heat. They are sitting at a 54% cover rate on the year, odds makers do not want any public favorite to be above 52.4% and, ideally, they want them below 50%. Thunder lines are on auto-inflate.

I’ve fielded questions about Felton’s absence. Felton is an overrated player who has a (-0.3) Roland rating. He will be replaced by Crawford in the starting line-up (+0.7 Roland rating) and everything will be fine, or better than fine.

The Rose Garden is a tough place to play and, despite recent performances, the Blazers are capable of beating any team in this league. 5 points is way too much chalk for OKC to lay in Portland.

Referee assignments:
    • Tom Washington: 23-13 home team ATS record
    • Pat Fraher: 23-14-1 home team ATS record
    • Mark Lindsay: 22-15 home team ATS record

HUGE home referee advantage for the Blazers.
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Philly plays about the same weather they are at home or on the road ?

Great run, but any chance explaining that statement ,as I see it ,it's night a day.

luck going forward
    edited March 2012
    jets96 wrote: »
    Philly plays about the same weather they are at home or on the road ?

Great run, but any chance explaining that statement ,as I see it ,it's night a day.

luck going forward

Yeah, well you don't keep detailed SOS weighted home/away power rankings like I do. Glad you could squeeze a comment in after a 0-2 night. I know your window was very narrow for the rest of the month, seeing as I was hitting 70% in the month of March before last night.
    edited March 2012

Play:

New Orleans Hornets +2.5

The Hornets are my most counter-intuitive team, they are 10 full rating points better on the road. The Warriors are the same defenseless team both home and away. However, with the recent direction of their organization, their home crowd has began meeting their Warriors team with contempt. Most recently when the crowd boo’ed one of Golden State’s owners off the court while he was presenting the retirement of Chris Mullen’s jersey.

There is speculation that Golden State is hanging them up for the year, and they accrued too many early wins so now they have to under perform for ping pong balls. The Hornets are already guaranteed ping pong balls, so they are playing to improve. This is just a bonus aspect of this match-up, I did now factor it quantitatively.

The biggest match-up issue in this game is that the Warriors will start their third string PG, Charles Jenkins, who has an absolutely horrid Roland rating of -17.9. The Hornets, on the other hand, have 2 capable PG’s. I would start Greivis Vasquez if I were them but, sadly, a lot of NBA coaches aren’t as statistically informed as I am. Also, I didn’t include it quantitatively, but Carl Landry’s return to the Hornets is significant.

Don’t worry that Ariza is out, his Roland rating is barely positive (+0.3), he is negligible. Same with Kaman, except Kaman’s Roldan rating is -3.0, he is a liability.

I could see a large victory for the Hornets, you may want to split your bet with some Hornets ML.

Referee Assignments:
    • Tom Washington: 23-14 home team ATS record
    • Eric Dalen: 21-16 home team ATS record
    • Tre Maddox: 19-13 home team ATS record
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    paid03 wrote: »
    Yeah, well you don't keep detailed SOS weighted home/away power rankings like I do. Glad you could squeeze a comment in after a 0-2 night. I know your window was very narrow for the rest of the month, seeing as I was hitting 70% in the month of March before last night.
    U might have to have a little bit thicker skin then this. He asked a simple question.
    edited March 2012
    worm33 wrote: »
    U might have to have a little bit thicker skin then this. He asked a simple question.

I would have answered it straight with most people, jets96 has been an antagonist since I got here though.

Plus he asked it after the play lost, in retrospect. He wasn't asking it to be constructive.
  • LancerLancer Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    just ignore negative ignorance paid, thx dude!
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    I was bored and wanted to see how you were doing, I dont look at your selections and just happened to look today.

You will regress at some point, but keep up the good work.
  • burgerburger Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Looks like the ref assignments favor GS no?
    edited March 2012
    burger wrote: »
    Looks like the ref assignments favor GS no?

Yes, but that is not a deal-breaker. I don't even include ref assignments in the quantitative part of my analysis. Ref assignments are only a bonus; or deal breaker, on borderline plays.
  • BostonerBostoner Banned
    edited March 2012
    jets96 wrote: »
    I was bored and wanted to see how you were doing, I dont look at your selections and just happened to look today.

You will regress at some point, but keep up the good work.

How do you know he will regress? This is a very negative comment, not to mention, unsupported? You'd do this post a great service by continuing to not look at Paid's selections.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited March 2012
    Bostoner wrote: »
    How do you know he will regress? This is a very negative comment, not to mention, unsupported? You'd do this post a great service by continuing to not look at Paid's selections.

It's realistic. No one on earth will hit anywhere near 70% in a big market like NBA sides over a large sample size going forward.
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    100% realistic goats is right but I think it was just how it was said or that fact that he even brought it up as there is no real reason to say "You will regress at some point..." as we all know that is mathematically a no brainer.
  • spidey_85spidey_85 Junior Member
    edited March 2012
    Can we make this a post-only-picks thread please
  • BigJoeyBigJoey Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    I am pretty sure he followed and lost both plays and is just sobbing.
  • BostonerBostoner Banned
    edited March 2012
    The post may be realistic, but is it necessary? Does this site promote needling of fellow posters, especially those who are following the site rules and have positive records?
  • MastermindMastermind Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    I don't think its necessary either Bostoner. No purpose served. Most people on here already know that over time the percentage will inevitably go down. I appreciate the effort put in by Paid, as well as other posters such as Guru and StevieY, and many others on here. It's good to have insight from multiple sources before making plays.
    edited March 2012
    Bostoner wrote: »
    The post may be realistic, but is it necessary? Does this site promote needling of fellow posters, especially those who are following the site rules and have positive records?

No, the comment was probably unnecessary, but neither was paid's flippant response when jets96 asked him about his opinion of the Sixers home/road split. The majority of forum posters need to have thicker skin and stop getting so defensive IMO. I've watched this happen for over a decade now on various forums. Heaven forbid someone question anything about a poster others want to follow, all the followers come rushing to his defense for fear that he might stop posting.

Also, as far as what we try to promote here, a poster's record has very little to do with it. You seem to be suggesting it's somehow more acceptable to needle someone with a losing record than someone with a winning record. As I touched on above, we certainly don't promote walking on eggshells around a poster because others may want to follow him. There are always rare exceptions, but all posters are held to the same standards for the most part.
    edited March 2012
    Halftime middle:

Golden State Warriors 2H -5.5

Stake: 1.1 to win 1 unit
    edited March 2012
    spidey_85 wrote: »
    Can we make this a post-only-picks thread please

That's exactly why I wanted to keep posting a separate thread for each day..
  • coolmilcoolmil Member
    edited March 2012
    Goats, Paid03 is adding tremdous value to board. Could we please stop hassiling him.. All he wants to do is post. Thanks
  • golfguru1golfguru1 Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Agree with coolmil, whenever someone starts doing good on this board, always someone to run them off with negativity and jealousy. If you don't have something positive to say, don't say anything, go watch the news or something, fit right in your way of thinking.
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    golfguru1 wrote: »
    Agree with coolmil, whenever someone starts doing good on this board, always someone to run them off with negativity and jealousy. If you don't have something positive to say, don't say anything, go watch the news or something, fit right in your way of thinking.

You want to participate in a forum that's all happy and smiley? I'd rather participate in a forum that does ask questions. As long as it's not harassment I don't see what the big deal is in questioning someone posting their picks.
    edited March 2012
    lumpy19 wrote: »
    You want to participate in a forum that's all happy and smiley? I'd rather participate in a forum that does ask questions. As long as it's not harassment I don't see what the big deal is in questioning someone posting their picks.

This is more or less my take on the matter.

As I mentioned earlier, the followers always come in and get super defensive for fear that the the poster they follow will run away... not surprisingly, that's exactly what has happened here. If a poster does not want to be questioned in a reasonable, civil manner, he should not be posting picks on a forum, he should start his own site/blog or use twitter to post plays.

BT is not meant to be a site where posters post picks and the only acceptable responses are "great job" or "thanks!" This is a forum where civil discussion and questions are welcome.

On a more personal note to golfguru, I've mentioned many times that I make my living from sports betting, and a large majority of what I bet comes from posters and services, so to insinuate that I'd run someone off out of jealousy is ludicrous. I'd love to find as many cappers as possible that I believe will share +EV picks going forward. That said, I'm not going to walk on eggshells around them. You may fail to see the value in some of the questions/comments, but that doesn't mean it's not there.
  • ggm1976ggm1976 Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Can't we all just get along?
  • golfguru1golfguru1 Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Goats wrote: »
    This is more or less my take on the matter.

As I mentioned earlier, the followers always come in and get super defensive for fear that the the poster they follow will run away... not surprisingly, that's exactly what has happened here. If a poster does not want to be questioned in a reasonable, civil manner, he should not be posting picks on a forum, he should start his own site/blog or use twitter to post plays.

BT is not meant to be a site where posters post picks and the only acceptable responses are "great job" or "thanks!" This is a forum where civil discussion and questions are welcome.

On a more personal note to golfguru, I've mentioned many times that I make my living from sports betting, and a large majority of what I bet comes from posters and services, so to insinuate that I'd run someone off out of jealousy is ludicrous. I'd love to find as many cappers as possible that I believe will share +EV picks going forward. That said, I'm not going to walk on eggshells around them. You may fail to see the value in some of the questions/comments, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

Was not implying my post toward you or anyone else specifically, just making a post on my thoughts, that is acceptable here I assume, I just prefer the positive kind, not negatively sarcastic like a few in this posts and others. I agree with the questions part of the situation but not in the negative tone they are usually worded. Thanks, sorry to have stirred up this problem, I will go away. Good luck to all.