Betting Talk

Anyone involved in a long term roto/fantasy league?

ComicBookGuyComicBookGuy Member
edited March 2012 in Sports Betting
Just curious as I get ready for my draft on April 1 how many others have been involved in a league for a long time.
Ours started in 1986 and has always been a draft format where we meet in person the Sunday before Opening Day. In 2005-2007 it was getting harder to get teams so in 2008 we switched to a National League only format. For this season we have 12 teams.
We have 24 rounds(10 pitchers/14 offense) and all players play all the time. One big difference between our league and most others are there are no trades, free agents,reserve lists etc. The team you walk out with on draft day is the team you have all year. You have to live with injuries,retirements,minor league demotions and attitude problems.
Needless to say the pressure on draft day is staggering but I also believe its one of the reasons our league has lasted. Everyone knows it won't be a 6 month vocation of setting lineups, checking on free agents, fielding trade offers etc.

Comments

• Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited March 2012
    Very unusual but I think that's a great idea. Much success this year. I used to play the Ultimate Salary Cap league until they did away with it. I liked it because it wasn't that time consuming but this is even a better Idea.
  • ComicBookGuyComicBookGuy Member
    edited March 2012
    Thanks OT. We do have some guys who are in multiple leagues but they all say they like the simplicity of ours. You definitely look at players in a different light. As much as I like Jose Reyes, if I was the GM of Miami I would never have given him that contract. He's missed significant time over the past three seasons. That six year 106 million deal might work out to be only four years in actual playing time. Is he really worth 26.5 million a year?
    edited March 2012
    That's the type of strategy that's needed in this type of league. Injury's always play a big part in fantasy but much more so in this league. I find this very interesting. Just two questions did your group come up with this and who does the scoring.
  • ComicBookGuyComicBookGuy Member
    edited March 2012
    Our first two years(86&87)we allowed trades until the All Star break. After I realized my brother and I were fleecing teams who didn't follow baseball as closely I stopped trades. At various times we had discussed having a reserve squad but back in the early days they didn't have the stat services they do now and everything had to be done by hand. Rather then go through the trouble of figuring out a guys stats for a partial season we just kept adding to the number of players we pick in the draft. This way even with injuries you should always have a decent amount of guys playing.
    Now we have a stat service(there are many)that updates them every day. It would be easy to move players in and out but we like the league as it is.
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for the reply and info, Have a blast with the greatest game ever.